PDA

View Full Version : Having problems with Optimum products

Pages : [1] 2

swirlparanoid
04-11-2013, 06:12 PM
I just recently received my order of ONRWW and Optimum car wax and am having problems with them leaving haze. After using the wash i will dry using a WW towel and all the water removes easily but i get a bad haze afterwards that is hard to remove and feels 'grabby'. Same thing with the wax only it leaves a worse haze and takes a good minute to remove and has the same grabby feeling.

Any ideas?

Im long tome ONR user, and have no problems with it...

snowking724
04-11-2013, 06:34 PM
If the paint feel "grabby", it most likely needs to be clayed. The wax haze could be from using too much product. I recommend spraying the towel instead of the paint.

Paul Mitchell
04-11-2013, 11:33 PM
I believe some people have had trouble with Optimum products in high humidity. I use the wax all the time and have no issues but our humidity is relatively low.

Nick McKees37
04-12-2013, 08:42 AM
Sounds like you could be using both products too liberally (more is not always better) OR it's extremely humid.

Chris Thomas
04-12-2013, 08:44 AM
Be sure to use two towels to dry with No Rinse Wash & Shine and with No Rinse Wash & Wax. Use one to remove the majority of the water and the second to buff away what remains to a high shine.

Similarly, when waxing spread the product over a panel with one towel then buff that panel with a second panel before moving on.

Hazing with either product is from allowing a spot with too much product on it to dry...so you can also use less. To easily fix the haze you can go over the area with a water dampened microfiber to level the spot. I also agree that if the surface is grabby, you probably need to clay or polish. OCW offers protection only and doesn't have any cleaners or abrasives to smooth the surface...but, when the surface is smooth you can totally feel the slickness it adds.

swanicyouth
04-12-2013, 09:16 AM
Opti-wax just hazes on dark cars. It's worse when its hot. That's been my experience.

jdmj0
04-12-2013, 01:20 PM
I just mixed 8oz ONR to 1 gallon of distilled water to may a QD solution. However, when using it, it seems more like water than anything. Also, when I wipe over with a MF towel, it's not very slick. Also, just like the OP, it hazes quite a lot and I have to wipe over with a second towel for a decent amount of time.

Now, I just iron-x + clayed my car about a week ago, with frequent care, so unlike the OP, I'm more than sure that cannot be the problem.

Were my expectations a bit too high? I've always used Meg's OTC QD and that QD sticks to the body and is super easy to wipe off, leaving my MF gliding after. Do I need to add more ONR to the batch or are "multi(-capable)" products like this never meant to compare to dedicated company-made QDs?

---EDIT

Nevermind. On further searching on the forums, it seems ONR works best as a RR and CL, but not so much QD.

ihaveacamaro
04-12-2013, 03:24 PM
I just mixed 8oz ONR to 1 gallon of distilled water to may a QD solution. However, when using it, it seems more like water than anything. Also, when I wipe over with a MF towel, it's not very slick. Also, just like the OP, it hazes quite a lot and I have to wipe over with a second towel for a decent amount of time.

Now, I just iron-x + clayed my car about a week ago, with frequent care, so unlike the OP, I'm more than sure that cannot be the problem.

Were my expectations a bit too high? I've always used Meg's OTC QD and that QD sticks to the body and is super easy to wipe off, leaving my MF gliding after. Do I need to add more ONR to the batch or are "multi(-capable)" products like this never meant to compare to dedicated company-made QDs?

---EDIT

Nevermind. On further searching on the forums, it seems ONR works best as a RR and CL, but not so much QD.

Use ultima waterless wash concentrate for your qd :)

wanabe detailer
04-12-2013, 07:15 PM
Never have problems with ONRWW. You must not be using it properly. Pay attention to your technique(i.e. one panel at a time, two towels, proper mixture ratio etc.) This product leaves my truck shiny and slick. Love it! I also recommend OID for QD

jdmj0
04-12-2013, 07:58 PM
Use ultima waterless wash concentrate for your qd :)

Exactly the conclusion I arrived at ;)

swirlparanoid
04-13-2013, 12:17 AM
Be sure to use two towels to dry with No Rinse Wash & Shine and with No Rinse Wash & Wax. Use one to remove the majority of the water and the second to buff away what remains to a high shine.

Similarly, when waxing spread the product over a panel with one towel then buff that panel with a second panel before moving on.

Hazing with either product is from allowing a spot with too much product on it to dry...so you can also use less. To easily fix the haze you can go over the area with a water dampened microfiber to level the spot. I also agree that if the surface is grabby, you probably need to clay or polish. OCW offers protection only and doesn't have any cleaners or abrasives to smooth the surface...but, when the surface is smooth you can totally feel the slickness it adds.

Dont see how i could be using too much product. The wash is 2 capfuls in 2 gallons and when i spray the wax i never pull it hard enough for it to mist and only do one or 2 lines on each panel. i had similar problems with the grabby feeling on my previous car using instant detailer and stopped using it shortly after.

One odd thing when using both Instant Detailer and Car Wax is that my microfibers seem to start leaving small strands all over the panel. Doesn't happen with anything else including removing polishes.(i use Mequires micros as they are the only ones ive had that dont lint)

Maybe im just expecting too much after using Opti-Seal as my main protection and how slick the surface is after.

FFguy808
04-13-2013, 02:20 AM
Been using ONR and Optimum Car Wax for a while now and I recently tried out ONRWW and its a great product. No issues what so ever on hazing or micro marring since i do follow the instructions even in the Hot/Humid Hawaiian weather:xyxthumbs:

DirtyBlackHoe
12-03-2013, 04:21 PM
What is the best ratio to use when using this as a Detail Spray? I mixed some of it Saturday while cleaning up the wifes car at 1:16 and it left a horrible haze and had to really be buffed off to look decent again. Did I do something wrong?

Isn't the ratio 1:16 for the QD?

FFguy808
12-04-2013, 12:44 AM
1:16 is fine but I usually have a 24oz bottle and I mix 2:24 distilled water

beamerstrumpet
12-04-2013, 12:54 AM
Opti-wax just hazes on dark cars. It's worse when its hot. That's been my experience.

Funny I have used it on both black and dark blue cars (the spray wax) and not an issue. Works great from cooler temps right now back to when I very first used it this year and it was 100+ outside in the shade.