PDA

View Full Version : Question about rubber trim around windows and B-Pillar trim (with photos)

B-M-D
04-11-2013, 05:14 PM
I have two separate issues on two separate vehicles.

The first issue I have is on the rubber trim around the windows on a 2004 Toyota Sienna van. I'm not sure what is going on here:

http://oi48.tinypic.com/erjx8i.jpg

http://oi50.tinypic.com/rsvc46.jpg

Can that be fixed?

And here is an issue I have with the B-Pillar of a 2008 Honda Civic. It seems as if there is a plastic coating over the b-pillar that is peeling away:

http://oi50.tinypic.com/hx26ic.jpg

What can be done about that?

Thanks if you can help! Feed back please

akj
04-11-2013, 05:55 PM
Looks like chipping or something. All I could think to do would be to sand so edges are smooth and paint.

Sent from my SCH-L710 using AG Online

Circa40
04-11-2013, 05:59 PM
Has the Sienna been repainted? It looks like overspray. If not, it looks like some kind of coating that can be cleaned off.

B-M-D
04-11-2013, 06:08 PM
Has the Sienna been repainted? It looks like overspray. If not, it looks like some kind of coating that can be cleaned off.Its never been repainted. It does get pelted by sap though from a tree overhead and has only been washed in automatic car washes.

Think it could be years worth of sap build up?

B-M-D
04-11-2013, 06:11 PM
Looks like chipping or something. All I could think to do would be to sand so edges are smooth and paint.

Sent from my SCH-L710 using AG OnlineOn the Sienna or Civic?

If you are talking about the civic, it's literally like there is a waxy plastic-like coating that I can just peel away. I'm just afraid to peel it all back.

Circa40
04-11-2013, 08:23 PM
Its never been repainted. It does get pelted by sap though from a tree overhead and has only been washed in automatic car washes.

Think it could be years worth of sap build up?

Have you tried APC? Can you scrape it off with your finger nail?

B-M-D
04-11-2013, 08:34 PM
Have you tried APC? Can you scrape it off with your finger nail?Not yet. I'm going to try using APC tomorrow.

I've washed the van before and just used a soapy microfiber and a lot of elbow grease to try to get it off... didn't work. Which makes me think APC probably isn't going to work.

AutowerxDetailing
04-11-2013, 08:34 PM
Looks like a job for J.S.

B-M-D
04-15-2013, 12:48 PM
Update: I used some Meguiar's APC 4:1 and a lot of elbow grease to see if I can get this stuff off the trim. Nope. Didn't work.

Next, I was wondering if it is something stuck on or the rubber itself is just worn. So I used a razor blade to see if I could scrape the brown off. Nope. I scraped a layer of rubber off, but it wasn't black like the black parts of the trim... it was grayish under the top layer.
It almost seems like the rubber trim is just discolored and its not something stuck on.

Anybody ever heard of this?

KillaCam
04-15-2013, 12:55 PM
I hate to say it but I think the only option is to replace it. You can try to use a dressing to temporarily cover it up, but it looks like the outer shiny layer is shot. Same thing happened to my sister's car.

B-M-D
04-15-2013, 01:42 PM
I hate to say it but I think the only option is to replace it. You can try to use a dressing to temporarily cover it up, but it looks like the outer shiny layer is shot. Same thing happened to my sister's car.Thats what I'm thinking. The shiny black layer seems to be worn away.