PDA

View Full Version : Toy-Hauler 5'ver w/ Gel Coat, oxidation removal

ShawnCT450R
04-10-2013, 09:23 PM
So I'm about to get started on this rather large job. We have a 2006 Weekend Warrior LE 3305. Gel coat all around, and it's looking rather rough. About a month ago, I received some counselling from an RV detailer who is a member here. From what he told me, coupled with what I read, I purchased a HF rottary buffer (only to be used on the trailer) and some products that were recommended by some gel-coat (boat) experts in my area. Gonna start working on it tomorrow. Just prepping the thread. Start / IP / Finished pics will be posted along with my comments and what I learned.

BTW - Very excited. I did two test sections tonight with the compound. One on the nose-cap and one on the side. Less than 30 seconds of buffing for each section. Wiped clean with an old MF, and they both looked fantastic! The gel-coat literally looks brand new, and that's without a shiny, protective LSP. My cart is loaded and ready for action. Will update when I have some good show-and-tell.

SuperiorAutoLLC
04-10-2013, 10:34 PM
Make sure you take and post tons of pics!

:postpics:

Sunshyne
04-11-2013, 08:54 AM
keep us informed, the HF unit has my attention since I bought one for small boat use

Mike Phillips
04-11-2013, 09:43 AM
Hi Shawn,

One thing that will help you a lot when buffing our severly oxidized gel-coats is to clean your buffing pad often.

I'm guessing you're using a wool pad with a compound on a rotary buffer which is the best and fastest way to chew through the dead, oxidized gel-coat. If this is the approach for your first step then be sure to have a steel pad cleaning spur and clean/spur your pad after each section you buff.

Like you see Tyler doing here at one of my Detailing Boot Camp Classes...

Wetsanding and Rotary Buffer Pictures from Autogeek's Detailing Boot Camp Classes (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/pictures-saturday-detailing-101/54401-wetsanding-rotary-buffer-pictures-autogeek-s-detailing-boot-camp-classes.html)

Here's Tyler using the Grit Guard Universal Pad Cleaner to clean a wool cutting pad after the compounding step...
http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/1446/2BootCampClass015.jpg

After cleaning the wool pad in the pad cleaner Tyler then re-fluffs the wool fibers using a steel pad cleaning spur.
http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/1446/2BootCampClass016.jpg

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/1446/2BootCampClass017.jpg

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/1446/2BootCampClass018.jpg

Having a pad washer is the only way to go if you buff gel-coat boats or motorhomes for a living but if you don't have one then use a spur.

Cleaning your pad often will,

Make buffing easier.
Make wiping off residue easier.
Help you to get the most cutting power out of your wool pad and compound.
Leave a nicer looking finish with easier to remove holograms.

Have fun, start early, were shoes that give you good ankle/leg support and have plenty of cold drinks available to keep you hydrated.

:)

ShawnCT450R
04-12-2013, 07:15 PM
So we'll give this a shot since my other camera is giving me fits. Plenty of pics, but there is an issue with them. Here is what I accomplished today.

First pic: Nose is finished. Shiny and smooth.

Second Pic: Compounding complete on the very forward end.

Third pic: Compounding 50/50 under the front window.

Sunshyne: The HF buffer/wool pads I purchased work great. No issues.

Mike: Yep, using wool pads and cleaning after every section per the expert instruction from AG pros and members. I don't have a spur, so I'm using the old flat-tip screwdriver method, and it's working fine for now. Will have to get a spur for later.

I have a bunch more pics, and I will get them up when I get it figured out. Also, work delays happened on account of rain this afternoon (Grrrrr). Back at it tomorrow morning.

rmagnus
04-12-2013, 08:20 PM
Look'n good. Remember paint is usually thinner on these than on cc cars.

ShawnCT450R
04-14-2013, 08:00 PM
Alright, status update. Finished the driver's side of the trailer, and the rear as well this weekend. Looking fantastic so far.

First pic: My ghetto detail cart. It was free, so no complaints here.

Second pic: The products I am using (recommended by boat people in Charleston). They are producing fantastic results so far.

Other various pre and post pics. Due to the rain on Friday, I ended up being about 5 hours behind. I refused to finish today (Sunday), so I could have some family time before the week starts. Will break it up and finish the door-side of the trailer this week during the evenings. Once I'm done polishing, I know a giant bottle of APC and a scrub brush that have a date with various items on the outside of this trailer.

Bates Detailing
04-14-2013, 08:04 PM
Congrats on getting it done! Those are some big jobs man - I bet you are sore!

ShawnCT450R
04-14-2013, 08:12 PM
Congrats on getting it done! Those are some big jobs man - I bet you are sore!

Thanks B&B. I am sore. hehe Not quite finished, but I'll get the door-side started and finished this week, at a non-rushed pace.

Spurious thought: I can't imagine trying to do this without a Rotary and a DA. That would kill someone!

I'll post a hooked up pic after I get it done and washed up. Maybe even some trip pics if I can get that on the calender.

Bates Detailing
04-14-2013, 08:16 PM
Thanks B&B. I am sore. hehe Not quite finished, but I'll get the door-side started and finished this week, at a non-rushed pace.

HA - I feel dumb lol...... I went straight to the pics instead of reading the last story - well good luck on finishing man :buffing:

SuperDave4x4
04-15-2013, 12:24 PM
I picked up a HF rotary this past weekend to use on my 18' boat, but I'm having a hard time on which wool pads to use? I saw that you picked yours up from HF, but did they have one for compounding and one for polishing? Or did you use the same type of pad for each step?

Looks like your work is paying off! Nice job!

ShawnCT450R
04-15-2013, 07:09 PM
I picked up a HF rotary this past weekend to use on my 18' boat, but I'm having a hard time on which wool pads to use? I saw that you picked yours up from HF, but did they have one for compounding and one for polishing? Or did you use the same type of pad for each step?

Looks like your work is paying off! Nice job!

Dave - I picked up the 5-pack of white wool pads at HF when I bought the rotary. They worked great for compounding. To date, I have destroyed one (caught it on a corner edge piece and ripped it - It went in the trash) and I've used the second one to do over half the trailer. Still in great shape, and will continue using it for the side the I have left.

For the marine polish/sealant, I'm using my GG6 DA with red CCS pads. Easy and quick with the DA. Took about 6 hours to compound an entire side with the rotary, but only about 2 hours to polish it with the DA. Once you have a nice clean surface, the final step is cake!

Hoytman
04-16-2013, 07:53 PM
Ditch the Starbrite and get some M67 or 3M Marine Compound and Finishing Material and then apply the armor-like protection of Collinite 845, or 885, and be done. Two products capable of removing some heavy oxidation with wool and a rotary that polishes down real nice thanks to diminishing abrasives, then apply one of the two waxes mentioned, that are awesome, and call it done.

We had been using the Starbrite product for year, unimpressed I might add, but we've since moved on.