PDA

View Full Version : How to Speed up production detailing?

Pages : [1] 2 3

akj
04-10-2013, 09:12 AM
So as some of u know I'm fairly new to detailing. But I've recently started doing production detailing for a local car dealer. Ever car I get I must detail then "wax" (according to dealer) AIO is what I do. Usually pinnacle xmt 360, megs mf cutting disc with m205 (good combo?), duragloss 501, or blackfire total polish and seal.
My question is since doing this kinda works really involves doing as many as u can vs doing the best u can, and not being paid as much.
Do u think that I could increase speed if I went to a drive through car wash then come back here for polish? Why would or wouldn't that work?
Also is there any other tips anyone has to help increase production?

Sent from my SCH-L710 using AG Online

Dave Medvic
04-10-2013, 09:27 AM
If the dealer justs wants a production detail, give em exactly that and just use the 360. I would not include any paint correction unless they pay extra for that service, too much lost time if they aren't paying.

ziggo99
04-10-2013, 09:29 AM
I don't think production detailing is a mild polish then an AIO. Just hit it with an AIO and move on to the next one. Get an AIO that cuts AND finishes well like Meguiar's D151, which actually has more cut than the M205 you're using, couple with something like a Tangerine pad, and you'll get production results that will please 99% of the customer's needs.

Mike Phillips
04-10-2013, 09:51 AM
I called on a shop in Seattle once where instead of washing the cars, they just buffed them out as they came in. The Manager explained to me that they used the dirt and road grime already on the car as a supplement to their compounds and polishes. This saved them time and money.

I was aghast to say the least as I watched guys buff out dirty cars about as fast as they could walk around them.

But hey... the paint was shiny!

:D

CrayBrown
04-10-2013, 09:59 AM
I called on a shop in Seattle once where instead of washing the cars, they just buffed them out as they came in. The Manager explained to me that they used the dirt and road grime already on the car as a supplement to their compounds and polishes. This saved them time and money.

I was aghast to say the least as I watched guys buff out dirty cars about as fast as they could walk around them.

But hey... the paint was shiny!

:D

Wow thats terrifying!

TonyK
04-10-2013, 11:03 AM
Perhaps you should look at Meguiars D151. It is an AIO that does pretty good correction from what I have heard. I just picked up a jug for this year but have not had a chance to try it out yet.

rmagnus
04-10-2013, 11:16 AM
Another vote for D151 and a powerful buffer, maybe a rotary. Most don't know the difference in the finish and are just looking for a clean shiny car.

akj
04-10-2013, 11:22 AM
I agree on the d151 but don't have any just yet. I always do a one step polish and seal rather than correction or 3 step.
My question is how could I speed up the process?
What mike said is very interesting polishing on a dirty car??? Hmm.. Im not sure about that.. wouldn't that ruin pads?

jvs1991
04-10-2013, 11:28 AM
I agree on the d151 but don't have any just yet. I always do a one step polish and seal rather than correction or 3 step.
My question is how could I speed up the process?
What mike said is very interesting polishing on a dirty car??? Hmm.. Im not sure about that.. wouldn't that ruin pads?

I have some d151 I don't need anymore. If you want maybe we can trade or something. Pm me if interested.

silverfox
04-10-2013, 11:33 AM
I'd go the DG 501/601 route if correction is not a priority. You will get at least 6 months protection out of that and it cleans like no other AIO out there.

akj
04-10-2013, 12:34 PM
I'm trying to find a short cut to increase speed

statusdetailing
04-10-2013, 12:36 PM
Not sure that going to the car wash is going to save you time, but it might save you a little money until you can get a decent electric power washer (if you don't have one already). You might get busted for using your owner degreaser, wheel cleaner, etc. You won't get the jams and engine clean with the products they supply. Don't even bother.

+1 for d151. It's an excellent products. Gums up a little more than I like. Change pads often and keep them clean.

Remove d151 with a microfiber and your favorite spray wax. I was mixing ONR and a spray wax. I'm now switching to ONR rinseless wash and wax. I love ONR. It's my favorite product in my shop btw.

D151 and spray wax (mostly just to help remove the product and give it a little extra pop) is my production method go to. I have really got away from dealers and production detailing, but when I have some gaps in my schedule and one of those annoying car salesman calls wanting a $100 detail, I always go with the previous method.

statusdetailing
04-10-2013, 12:40 PM
an aerosol dressing for vents and tight spaces will shave a little time as well. Cost a little more, but I made the switch and I'm happy. I use meg's aerosol dressing.

Good, solid equipment, like a good mytee extractor, a vapor steamer, strong vacuum, tons of different quality brushes, etc are the only real way to shave time.

akj
04-10-2013, 02:48 PM
an aerosol dressing for vents and tight spaces will shave a little time as well. Cost a little more, but I made the switch and I'm happy. I use meg's aerosol dressing.

Good, solid equipment, like a good mytee extractor, a vapor steamer, strong vacuum, tons of different quality brushes, etc are the only real way to shave time.

Your exactly right if I had a more powerful vacuum and a steamer I know that would help but I don't right now

sweatthedetails
04-10-2013, 03:56 PM
This year i purchased a Metro Vac-blo, Speedy Prep towel, and HX5000 steamer. These 3 items have effectivly cut 2-3 hour off my complete detail time. They should pay for them selves in a couple of months.