PDA

View Full Version : Good or Bad idea?

Pages : [1] 2

Bates Detailing
04-09-2013, 09:45 PM
So my partners wife got her car interior detailed by a local detailing company (because we are always to busy to get to the wive's car :/ ) where she paid their top dollar package here in Middle TN. He said that from a distance it looked great, but when up close he snapped pics of crud in the cracks and crevices all over the interior.

The Idea :

Get details done by major detailers in the area.

Not posting their names or companies - but posting their work in a video and showing the critical areas that B & B wouldn't excuse.

Having a small 10 minute video or so demonstrating the difference between a detail and a B & B Detail.

My wife says no, Im impartial, my partner loves the idea.....

What do you all think?

rmagnus
04-09-2013, 09:48 PM
Bad idea. We've seen your work and contributions here. It's not going to get any better by your competitors. Why invest the time on poor work.

Bates Detailing
04-09-2013, 09:53 PM
Bad idea. We've seen your work and contributions here. It's not going to get any better by your competitors. Why invest the time on poor work.

Ok great - my wife says it similar. We do our thing, they do theirs - we come ahead in the end. Thanks for the advice - 1 for NAY

Mike Calloway
04-09-2013, 09:53 PM
You may be better off using those resources in adding more value and highlighting your sources.

What you have suggested is commonly used infomercials. It can be successful, just think from a consumer perspective it will really make a huge difference in conversions.

If you wife is saying no as a consumers, that's kind of giving you an indication of how you target market might take it.

Hope that helps!

Iron400
04-09-2013, 11:07 PM
I say bad. I recommend keeping any "negatives" out of your advertising, even if it's someone else's work. In the end it makes your final message come off as "Our work doesn't speak for itself so here is crap work to make our's look good".

Since you have a great business, and are highly respected in the industry, stay away from the negatives. :xyxthumbs:

Bates Detailing
04-09-2013, 11:37 PM
You may be better off using those resources in adding more value and highlighting your sources.

What you have suggested is commonly used infomercials. It can be successful, just think from a consumer perspective it will really make a huge difference in conversions.

If you wife is saying no as a consumers, that's kind of giving you an indication of how you target market might take it.

Hope that helps!

I say bad. I recommend keeping any "negatives" out of your advertising, even if it's someone else's work. In the end it makes your final message come off as "Our work doesn't speak for itself so here is crap work to make our's look good".

Since you have a great business, and are highly respected in the industry, stay away from the negatives. :xyxthumbs:

This is why I love AG - spotting out the obvious that I wasn't seeing! I see both sides..... my wife sees your guy's side...... my partner sees an advantage and wants to display his work. Stepping back and looking from afar - you are both right.... why concentrate on the negative when we could expand our resources more towards showing off our positives. A great concept that I agree with for sure. Why show the negative? Especially when we can spend more time producing and showing positive results on our end! I agree with you gentlemen and thank you very much for the eye opener :dblthumb2:

Pureshine
04-10-2013, 01:51 AM
I have customers come to after one of the two detailers by me screw up their cars. I would never say who they are ever. one its bad for business to bad mouth another detailer.

yakky
04-10-2013, 07:15 AM
Its always easy to criticize someone else's work. Someone could do the same to you, I bet anyone here could document half a dozen "flaws" in someone else's work.

Joz132
04-10-2013, 07:25 AM
You gain nothing by slamming your competitors. In fact, by attacking them, you will almost certainly hurt your own business far more than theirs.

mleun481
04-10-2013, 07:48 AM
I say do it. I don't see the harm by showing how meticulous you are. A consumer would think their detail looks good - until someone educates them on what a proper detail should be.

vet
04-10-2013, 07:55 AM
Seems to me if you spotlight your excellent work, you don't have to run down the other guy's. Just my opinion.

The only thing is, if people associate the wives' drivers as your work, it could look bad for you. Maybe you better find the time to do the wives' cars, lol.

Becciasm
04-10-2013, 07:57 AM
You gain nothing by slamming your competitors. In fact, by attacking them, you will almost certainly hurt your own business far more than theirs.

:iagree:

From what i've seen of your work on AGO, it speaks for itself. The before and afters of your jobs tell the quality of your work.

Have the competitors do their thing and you do yours - when the client is not satisfied with the competitor, they will find you.

You never know - the competitor that you would be bashing may end up to be a future business partner/fill-in-the-blank that will benefit from a good relationship in the long run.

Audios S6
04-10-2013, 07:58 AM
I'd say the concept of showing your meticulousness is good, the method of directly comparing to others work is bad.

I would take the approach of showing your work and highlighting your meticulousness and just noting in the image description that this is an item frequently overlooked by other detailers. Use it as a way to differentiate yourself and play the 'you get what you pay for' card.

bulldog shine
04-10-2013, 08:13 AM
As my Dad would say, "If you don't have anything nice to say don't say anything."

Dr_Pain
04-10-2013, 08:38 AM
I agree with the general consensus about it being a bad idea!

First off, it gives you ammunition to have little private conversation with friends and customers and that ammunition can really explode in your face. A customer may be a plant from your competition and sees that you are set to "destroy their reputation" and they opt to sue you for defamation of character. You may have let it slip that a certain vid was taken at a certain place and dropped a name and you are on the hook.

In my opinion, it is better to not have that ammunition. Your best advertising are the excited EDUCATED customers you produce. This is a much better way of spending your time and resources. In educating your customer base, they may stray, but will be so tuned in with the processes that they will catch a "fake" a mile away, and not only will they run back to your business but will bring along friend, family and..... If you do a good enough job educating them, they will in turn educate others (making your life so much easier)