PDA

View Full Version : Clay Bar

Pages : [1] 2

ohten
04-09-2013, 08:30 PM
Saturday I purchased a new 2013 Camaro(Red Jewel Tincoat) I informed the dealer not to detail my car due to the fact that they usually do more harm than good.After getting the car home and washing it I notice my microfiber towels were being pulled and leaving strands of material on the car.

After drying I ran my hand across the paint and the surface is very rough.I ordered from Auto geek the Pinnacle Ultra Poly Clay and the Ultima Elastrofoam Paint Cleaning System.I have never clayed a car and as of now the car has no swirl marks.

My question is how do I go about attacking this problem and not put swirl marks in the paint or make matters worse.I know to use lube and that's about it.

Thanks,any and all advice is greatly appreciated.

Bates Detailing
04-09-2013, 08:37 PM
You have to obviously ensure the surface is completely free of particles that could get caught between the clay bar and clear. Marring can occur when clay barring - BUT I've never clay-barred a brand new off the floor car. I think as long as you are in the garage and the paint is completely clean - you should be good.

akj
04-09-2013, 08:38 PM
Clay doesn't normally induce swirls or scratches. Just be sure to keep it lubed. And before u start kneed it real good tear off some strech it out roll it around it your hands etc. For a bit.
And after u do a bit of the car and it starts to appear a bit used kneed it again. Keep the part that's on your car fairly clean

Sent from my SCH-L710 using AG Online

T3 AutoDetails
04-09-2013, 08:46 PM
Use lots of lube. Maybe even get a small bucket and add some lube. Dunk bar in lube every few passes and move about the vehicle. Don't clay in circular motions. Best practice is try and make smooth back and forth passes until the paint feels nice and smooth without any dragging of the bar.

Another good practice is to break the panels of your vehicle down into sections and sometimes sections into multi/sections. Hope this helps.

primo spaghetti
04-09-2013, 08:48 PM
if you can cancel your order, id cancel IMO.

im not a fan of the elastrofoam block, it will make a mess of your paint.

opt for ironx first, then if you still need the clay, look for a mild clay and use lots of lube, or else you'll be polishing!

ohten
04-09-2013, 08:49 PM
Thanks guys any and all advice is appreciated.

T3 AutoDetails
04-09-2013, 09:03 PM
Just noticed your from West palm. I was born and raised there. Lantana and jog and southern and Dixie lol. Small world

Jaretr1
04-10-2013, 12:57 PM
A new car shouldnt be terribly polluted, but it does need to be clayed. Pinnacle poly clay is a very mild clay and should not cause any marring. Clay can mar, especially if the surface contaminants are thick or rough (trust me, I know from experience). When I took delivery of my new Accord, it needed to be clayed, I used the Poly clay, and it was fine. Lots of lube and be careful and you shouldnt have any problems.

DARK HORSE
04-10-2013, 01:14 PM
if you can cancel your order, id cancel IMO.

im not a fan of the elastrofoam block, it will make a mess of your paint.

opt for ironx first, then if you still need the clay, look for a mild clay and use lots of lube, or else you'll be polishing!

^^This is VERY good advice!

Kevin Cullen
04-10-2013, 01:38 PM
I agree with the IronX, very good advice. You could possibly have rail dust on your car.

ihaveacamaro
04-10-2013, 01:51 PM
Lube it up and use the pinnacle clay. Break it into 3-4 smaller pieces. You should have to only use half of the clay bar for the entire car.

If you get the nano skin sponge fine grade, I think you might like that. I use it on my car with great results.

ihaveacamaro
04-10-2013, 01:54 PM
Btw, GREAT choice of car!

Mike Phillips
04-10-2013, 02:45 PM
I've seen a lot of videos on claying... I have not seen any that go into exact detail like I do in these...

Part 1 - How To Use Detailing Clay

YouTube- Part 1 - How to use detailing clay

Part 2 - How To Use Detailing Clay

YouTube- Part 2 - How to use detailing clay

I also cover this and a lot more, always in-depth, in my how-to book...

The Complete Guide to a Show Car Shine Paperback Book (http://www.autogeek.net/how-to-create-a-show-car-shine-book.html)

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/1313/Second_Edition_How_To_Book.jpg

:)

Mike Phillips
04-10-2013, 02:48 PM
Here's a video with Matt Steele and me showing you step-by-step how to detail a Red Jewel Tint 2011 Camaro..

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xpgWnWbWfY]Mike Phillips & Matt Steele - How To Detail Your Car with Pinnacle Natural Brilliance - YouTube[/video]

Mike Phillips
04-10-2013, 02:50 PM
Here's the full write-up on how we created a deep, wet shine on Rene's 2011 Red Jewel Tint Camaro...

2011 Camaro - Modeled by Amy (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/pictures-autogeek-s-car-week/40438-2011-camaro-modeled-amy.html)

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/1254/2011RJTCamaro002.jpg