PDA

View Full Version : New user product selection for darker cars?

Artes
04-09-2013, 07:08 PM
Greetings,

I apologize in advance as I'm sure this question is asked to no end on the forums. I've tried researching, but feel like there are endless combinations and just need to make up my mind and place the order. I recently picked up a da polisher and plan to purchase a new plate and LC flat 5.5" pads.

I would like to ask your advice on LC flat pad selection, polish, sealant, and wax to use on a black '01 Dodge Neon R/T and grey '05 Honda Accord. Both are daily drivers and will see all season conditions. The Neon is new to me and has swirl marks across the body. I'm unsure the type of care it received from previous owners. I figure additional research and a compound can be ordered later if the polish is not enough. I hand worked the Honda in the past with a several step process from a competitor's line. It's just too many steps for my interest level these days. Both cars probably have an acrylic clear coat and the Honda is a chip magnet to address in a later order.

I'm ok with spending money on quality products while keeping in mind these are daily drivers so the $100 waxes are probably out of consideration. The gaps in my shopping list include making selections on:
1) LC flat orange pads to polish out swirl paint on the Neon?
2) LC white flat pads to polish the Accord which should be in decent condition?
3) LC black or blue pads for sealant and wax on both?
2) Polish for both?
3) Sealant for both?
4) Wax for both?
5) Plan on picking up Iron X and another clay bar.

I appreciate your time and advice to finalize the order this week.

andy2485
04-09-2013, 07:20 PM
Start with meguiars ultimate compound. If that does not work to remove the swirls you may need a wool pad and a cutting compound like meg's. 101. Start with the UC .Are yup looking for something you can get at a local store(target, walmart?)

Artes
04-10-2013, 08:24 AM
I plan to add these products to my order with autogeek. Thank you.

Setec Astronomy
04-10-2013, 08:36 AM
Your pad selection looks fine, just make sure to get some extras. If it were me I'd get the black finishing pads rather than the blue.

It's hard to beat the Meguiar's M105/M205 or UC/UP combos. Or you could try this bundle Optimum Polishes 3 Pack, build you own kit, Optimum car polishes, compound, finishing polish (http://www.autogeek.net/optimum-polishes-3pack.html) and get the Optimum Compound II and Optimum Polish II and something else like ONR.

Artes
04-10-2013, 09:00 PM
Thanks for all of your help and suggestions. Any preferences on a sealant and/or wax to go with the Meg UC/UP combo?

andy2485
04-11-2013, 02:07 PM
That depends on what you're going for.. the protection of a sealant? Or the shine of a wax?

KillaCam
04-11-2013, 03:27 PM
Collinite 915! Just apply THIN. If you don't believe me on how great it is, go read all the positive reviews.

Collinite Marque D’Elegance Carnauba Paste Wax #915, car wax, paste auto wax (http://www.autogeek.net/collinite-marque-wax-915.html)

Wow I just bought it a week ago and now they offer two free foam applicators when you purchase it. Dang it!

Artes
04-11-2013, 06:12 PM
andy2485, Would it be overkill to do both on a daily driver? Both would be exposed to the elements with sand and salt in the winter. Use the sealant for protection and a wax like Collinite 915 as a top coat?

truckbutt
04-11-2013, 06:20 PM
Some recommendations for black, high gloss, wet look:
1. 4 Star Ultimate Paint Protectant UPP
2. Blackfire Wet Diamond BFWD
3. Duragloss 501/105
4. Meguiars Gold Class Carnauba Plus
5. Souveran
6. Wolfgang Fuzion

dorkiedoode
04-11-2013, 06:34 PM
andy2485, Would it be overkill to do both on a daily driver? Both would be exposed to the elements with sand and salt in the winter. Use the sealant for protection and a wax like Collinite 915 as a top coat?

it's never over kill when it comes to car paint. It's only over kill if you do like 5 layers of sealant. If you put sealant and wax you'll get double protection. Which will last you longer before you have to reapply again. Unless money is an issue then stick to sealant alone is fine.

dcgocd
04-11-2013, 06:42 PM
Megs clay kit
Lake County 5.5 " Flat Pads
M105/205
BFWD