PDA

View Full Version : Rupes Question

Pages : [1] 2 3

Sunshyne
04-09-2013, 09:58 AM
The Rupes is on my Wish List and I am torn. Do I go for the 15 or the 21? I have a few larger vehicles lined up for the spring and I dont want to spend extra time if I can save it.

Any insight from owners is appreciated. :dblthumb2:

I plan on using it with Megs MF 6" pads along with various foam to finish.

WRAPT C5Z06
04-09-2013, 10:05 AM
21 with an additional 5" BP.

FYI, use the Meg's MF FINISHING pads with the Rupes. They're smoother than the cutting pads. You'll still get great cut!

richy
04-09-2013, 10:05 AM
I'll tell you what I did. I got the 21 from Kevin and ordered the smaller bp from him. I have only used it once so far, but I used it with the smaller BP and will probably stick to that for the most part due to the amount of 5.5" pads I have. If I get a super-sized vehicle, then I can switch BP's and use larger pads (I got a few Rupes pads too). Hope that helps.

Evan.J
04-09-2013, 10:06 AM
I'm interested in this as well.

JSou
04-09-2013, 10:08 AM
You're in Northern Virginia. Would you like to try mine out? I have a 21 with 5" backing plate. I also have 6" Meguiar's MF cutting pads.

WRAPT C5Z06
04-09-2013, 10:09 AM
You're in Northern Virginia. Would you like to try mine out? I have a 21 with 5" backing plate. I also have 6" Meguiar's MF cutting pads.
I say he should definitely take u up this offer. :props:

WRAPT C5Z06
04-09-2013, 10:14 AM
I'll tell you what I did. I got the 21 from Kevin and ordered the smaller bp from him. I have only used it once so far, but I used it with the smaller BP and will probably stick to that for the most part due to the amount of 5.5" pads I have. If I get a super-sized vehicle, then I can switch BP's and use larger pads (I got a few Rupes pads too). Hope that helps.
Go back to sleep!!!! :p

zmcgovern45
04-09-2013, 10:16 AM
I also posted this question a while back... I was seriously considering the LHR15ES because 95% of the pads I own are 5.5" pads so I figured I would buy the machine that was meant for that size pad...

Sort of a last minute decision I decided to take everyone's suggestion and buy the LHR21ES + 5" BP... I have done 4 cars now using the 5.5" pads on the LHR21ES and have loved it. I figured why limit myself to only a smaller pad when I could have the option to use both if I buy the LHR21ES.

If money is not a limiting factor, I would say you will be happy with the 21 + 5" backing plate.... I know there are plenty of others who have gone that route and I haven't heard any negative feedback thus far.

-Zach

richy
04-09-2013, 10:17 AM
Go back to sleep!!!! :p
We were typing at the same time if you look at the post time...it's just my post was more intelligent and better written!!

---->POKE

lol

Mike Phillips
04-09-2013, 10:22 AM
The Rupes is on my Wish List and I am torn. Do I go for the 15 or the 21? I have a few larger vehicles lined up for the spring and I dont want to spend extra time if I can save it.

Any insight from owners is appreciated. :dblthumb2:

I plan on using it with Megs MF 6" pads along with various foam to finish.

The larger pads and larger stroke of the 21 will cover a larger panel faster. I did a comparison test between the two and although the larger pad and stroke on the 21 did save time, it was't a huge time savings.

Large pads are great for anyting with large flat panels. Most modern cars have thinner body panels, that is a section of paitn between an edge and a raised body line and for this reason no matter what the tool, smaller pads are more effective.

Rupes Polisher Time Lapse Video - 1955 Ford Crown Victoria (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/60706-rupes-side-side-detail-1955-crown-victoria.html)

Here's the time-lapse video Yancy took for me as I buffed this classic out from start to finish...

RUPES 21ES Vs 15 ES time comparison Time lapse -...

On the passenger side I used the Rupes 21 and on the driver's side I used the Rupes 15. There was about a 20 minute time savings using the larger pad, larger stroke machine over the smaller pad, smaller stroke machine but my opinion is that for most body panel designs on modern cars the 6" pad will be a better match.

This tool definitely has a lot more correction ability plus power over a traditional DA Polisher like the Porter Cable 7424XP.

I did find that when buffing a curved panel, either concave or convex, the uneven pressure applied to the face of the pad will slow down and even stop pad rotation. The key is to focus on the panel and keep the pad as flat as possible to the surface.

Here's the time differene as posted in this thread... (lots of pictures and documentations in the below thread too)

Rupes side by side detail - 1955 Crown Victoria (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/60706-rupes-side-side-detail-1955-crown-victoria.html)

Post #31

***Update***

Passenger Side with the Rupes 21

Half way done and now taking a break while Yancy charges the GoPro Battery.

I've buffed out the entire passenger side of this 1955 Ford Crown Victoria two times. I compounded it first and then followed with the ultra fine polish. I used the Rupes 21 for the large flat panels on the passenger side and the RUPES LHR75 Mini Random Orbital Polisher for the thin panel and tight areas.

Took me right at 2 hours and 20 minutes.

I didn't take the below picture till 10 minutes later after setting up for the driver's side but the GoPro should show 2:20 as I stood by the clock on the windshield and pointed at the time.

Something interesting I found out as I buffed out this car, the white portions are clear coated and on the passenger side the driver's door is clear coated but the front and back fender as well as the roof are single stage.

Just goes to show you never know what you're working on till you actually start buffing...

Here's a couple of pictures...

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/1759/1955_Ford_Crown_Victoria_032.jpg

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/1759/1955_Ford_Crown_Victoria_031.jpg

Also, found that even on the 6 speed setting on curved panels with pressure to just a portion of the face of the pad the pad can slow down and sometimes even stop rotating just like you see with Porter Cables, Meguiar's and Griot's DA Polisher.

Next up is the Rupes 15 for the driver's side, it will be interesting to see if I see less of a pad rotation stoppage due to the smaller size pad thus less leverage from the pad.

I'm going to stick with the Zephir Gloss Coarse Compound as it's doing a great job of removing the swirls, scratches and oxidation out of both the single stage and clear coat paint systems but I'm going to try out the Keramik Gloss Fine Cut Polish with the yellow foam polishing pad for the driver's side.

Just to note, the Diamond Ultra Fine Cut Polish worked perfectly to maximize the gloss and clarity after the Zephir compound. I know some of you will want to know if that's too big a jump and normally I would think it would be but the compound and blue foam cutting pad are actually finishing out really nice on both types of paint.

I'm making approximately 7-8 section passes for each section I buff, not sure if that will correctly show up in the time lapse as I think Yancy has it set up to take a picture every 2 minutes.

:)

Mike Phillips
04-09-2013, 10:24 AM
From post #35

Driver's Side with the Rupes 15

Took me right at 2 hours and 45 minutes

After starting the second side, at around 1:45 ON THE CLOCK taped to the driver's side of the windshield I took at least a 10 minute break to drink some water and take a phone call.

At 2:35 ON THE CLOCK taped to the driver's side of the windshield Yancy removed the battery and went to go charge it.

I took the below two pictures to show where I'm at with the last machine polishing step for the driver's side. All I have left to do is,

Polish the lower portion of the driver's front fender
Do a little polishing in tight areas using the Rupes Mini Polisher.

So in other words, I have about 10 - 15 minutes of polishing work max before I'm ready to machine wax this car.

Here's two pictures I just took not how beautiful the paint is looking in that it's incredibly clear, bright and glossy.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/1759/1955_Ford_Crown_Victoria_033.jpg

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/1759/1955_Ford_Crown_Victoria_034.jpg

The passenger side took me 2 hours and 20 minutes to compound and polish. And this passenger side is taking me, time corrected for the break I took, (I never took a break for the passenger side), approximately 2 hours and 45 minutes.

That means there's about a 25 minute time difference between buffing out one side with the larger stroke, larger pad and the smaller stroke, smaller pads Rupes polishers.

Before I started I think I posted that I didn't think there would be a huge difference in time and I'm correct. I wouldn't choose one tool over the other for time reasons.

:)

Pats300zx
04-09-2013, 10:27 AM
I was torn between the 15 and the 21 as well. After talking to several folks I decided on the 21 with a 5 inch BP.

WRAPT C5Z06
04-09-2013, 01:59 PM
We were typing at the same time if you look at the post time...it's just my post was more intelligent and better written!!

---->POKE

lol
:laughing:

jvs1991
04-09-2013, 02:07 PM
21 with an additional 5" BP.

FYI, use the Meg's MF FINISHING pads with the Rupes. They're smoother than the cutting pads. You'll still get great cut!

Which liquids have you used with the megs finishing pads with the rupes?

Sunshyne
04-09-2013, 02:13 PM

very gracious offer, I would love to check it out. Shoot me a PM if you get a minute

To all including Mike who took the time to post his expermeint in great detail. THANKS!

It appears the 21 with a smaller BP is the way to go. The stronger correction ability is key for me. I know 20 min isnt much but when the weekend arrives and time is compressed ill take what I can get. :props: