PDA

View Full Version : Applying a second coat a day later on garage kept car (Dust?)

Pages : [1] 2

WRXINXS
04-08-2013, 12:21 PM
How do you guys apply a second coat of wax/sealant/coating on a garage kept car a day later? Do you use a QD first?

I just used Opti-Coat 2.0 for the first time yesterday afternoon and added another coat this morning. The car was kept in the garage overnight. I gently dusted it with a California Duster (I just let the tips touch the paint) and applied a second coat.

I am just wondering if I put more swirls into the paint with the Opti-Coat applicator when the paint was not completely dust free.

I did not want to use a QD or anything that would interfere with the Opti-Coat bonding so that is why I was reduced to gently using the California Duster.

Thanks,
Drew

BlackHawk
04-08-2013, 12:37 PM
I am just wondering if I put more swirls into the paint with the Opti-Coat applicator when the paint was not completely dust free.

Thanks,
Drew

Thats a confusing question haha so did u see the scratches after or no?

pickles
04-08-2013, 12:39 PM
I recently layered some Fusion over WGDS sealant after letting the sealant sit over night per cure instructions and I just used the fluffy side of a dry microfiber towel gently. If that adds marks then I wasn't able to tell. There was very little dust on it and the garage door was closed from 8:00pm until 9:00am when I went to layer so not much was able to get on the thing either.

zmcgovern45
04-08-2013, 12:39 PM
Curious why you felt the need to do a 2nd coat of OC2.0?

Don't the California Dusters have wax coated strands - so wouldn't that leave some wax residue on the surface of the paint possibly causing the OC to not bond as well?

I would have just done a quick wipe down with weak IPA (10%) if needed.

theblob640
04-08-2013, 12:52 PM
I just layered a wax (m26) on top of a sealant last friday (m21) garage kept car. I gave it a quick wipe down with a QD Meguiar's Last Touch on each panel and then applied the wax. From what I can see, it didn't instill any swirls to the finish.

Scott@IncrediblyDetailed
04-08-2013, 12:59 PM

Don't the California Dusters have wax coated strands - so wouldn't that leave some wax residue on the surface of the paint possibly causing the OC to not bond as well?

I would have just done a quick wipe down with weak IPA (10%) if needed.

This.

WRXINXS
04-08-2013, 01:01 PM
My california duster is really old so there it does not really leave any wax marks but I never really even considered that.

I did not get a 100% correction so I don't know whether the few swirls came from the second application or not.

Zach, I did a second coat because I was afraid I buffed/wiped too much during the initial application and may not have left enough product on the surface.

No biggie, just wondering what everyone did.

FUNX650
04-08-2013, 01:21 PM
Hi Drew...

Even though I remember your thoughts in this thread: http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/58247-layering-opti-coat-worth.html

This.

Zach,
I did a second coat because I was afraid I buffed/wiped too much during the
initial application and may not have left enough product on the surface.

^^^It's better to be: Safe, Than Sorry...IMHO!!^^^ :props:

:)

Bob

zmcgovern45
04-08-2013, 01:55 PM
Remember, Opti-Coat leaves (on average) 1-2 microns of coating on the surface... really really really really really thin layer... so chances are, if you applied it as directed and and allowed it to sit briefly before wiping, that is all the time needed for a very small amount to bond to the surface, so any wiping will not remove all of the coating. Either way, a 2nd coat will not hurt anything, as mentioned above - better safe than sorry I suppose.

WRXINXS
04-08-2013, 03:50 PM
Bob/Zach, my thoughts exactly (Better safe than sorry). I wanted to make sure after I did all the correction work I had a good coating of Opti-Coat.

Plus this is my first time with Opti-Coat so I wanted to experiment a bit with application/layering and did not worry about product usage for my first time around.

zmcgovern45
04-08-2013, 05:23 PM
Bob/Zach, my thoughts exactly (Better safe than sorry). I wanted to make sure after I did all the correction work I had a good coating of Opti-Coat.

Plus this is my first time with Opti-Coat so I wanted to experiment a bit with application/layering and did not worry about product usage for my first time around.

Just out of curiousity - how much product did you end up using for a total of 2 coats?

TroyScherer
04-08-2013, 05:36 PM
If your layering OC2 the next day like this I would have suggested an ONR QD wipe-down.

ONR does not interfere with OC2 and has even been suggest by Chris @ Opti as a post polish wipe down when using the Opti Polishes as well before applying OC2.

WRXINXS
04-08-2013, 06:23 PM
Just out of curiousity - how much product did you end up using for a total of 2 coats?

Lol, actually used almost the whole syringe. Did two coats an hour apart and one coat the day after. I know its wasteful but next time I will just do one coat. I was still trying to get the hang of how much to use/ how to apply and knocking down high spots without overbuffing.

This time around was a learning process/experiment.

Wes Bremec
04-08-2013, 06:28 PM
California car duster only belongs in the house for dusting furniture in my opinion. I wouldn't touch any paintwork with that thing. I would of used a waterless wash like dps and do a quick wipe down with a fluffy microfiber. If your worried about bonding I would by some menzerna top inspection.

WRAPT C5Z06
04-08-2013, 06:28 PM
California Duster contains parrafin wax on the strands. I'd wouldn't apply anything after that. I wouldn't use the CD in the first place. ;)

I wouldn't use a QD or WW either. You don't want to put polymers back onto the paint.

I use DP Clay Lube for these types of situations(along with it being my clay lube..haha). It contains no gloss enhancers, yet it's still lubricated to remove any dust.