PDA

View Full Version : QD that does not leave greasy film?

Pages : [1] 2

lkotsios
04-08-2013, 10:56 AM
Or a spray wax for that matter. Can some body recommend one?

FUNX650
04-08-2013, 12:07 PM
Hi lkotsios...

How do you define: "greasy film"?

I define it as a dirty-mixture, of some kind, having an oil/lubricant in it.
(The oil/lubricant can, itself, be "unclean".)

Since many QD's are used as cleaners/"gloss-enhancers"...
Some of them may just contain:
-Surfactants (soaps/detergents?);
-Oils (paraffin, naphtha, etc...distillates of petroleum);
-And perhaps glycerin.

I suppose that by spraying a QD on a vehicle/MF-towel that's in the vicinity
of any type of dust/contaminates (that's everywhere but in a "clean-room")...
may result in a greasy-film being deposited upon said vehicle/MF-towel.

I really don't notice that phenomenon occurring too often.
Only when it's so very hot and humid that, even I, have witnessed
"greasy-films" appearing upon human skin.

Guess one must QD extra fast at those times!!

:)

Bob

SlowWRX
04-08-2013, 12:09 PM
I just started using Optimum Spray wax and it leaves nothing behind.

zmcgovern45
04-08-2013, 12:11 PM
Another shout out for Chemical Guys V7 Spray Sealant... love that stuff.

nissenc1337
04-08-2013, 12:14 PM
Mothers Spray Wax or their Instant Detailer always do the trick for me. Spray on and buff off.

lkotsios
04-08-2013, 12:34 PM
I just started using Optimum Spray wax and it leaves nothing behind.
Thats the king of greasy streaks for me.

SlowWRX
04-08-2013, 12:37 PM
really..I had no streaks or any type of issues. it was easy as using a regular QD. Are you using to much or in the sun?

Chris's FX4
04-08-2013, 12:38 PM
Meguiar's M135 or UQD and Meguiar's D156 or UQW.

AC in OC
04-08-2013, 12:44 PM
Perhaps it's the MF towels you are using? I find that using two good quality towels works well. One to do the hard work, the other to buff anything leftover.

Have you recently put a LSP on your car? If not, perhaps that is the issue you are experiencing. QD & spray waxes seem to perform well when the paint has been cleaned up and have a sealant or wax.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using AG Online

lkotsios
04-08-2013, 12:58 PM
Perhaps it's the MF towels you are using? I find that using two good quality towels works well. One to do the hard work, the other to buff anything leftover.

Have you recently put a LSP on your car? If not, perhaps that is the issue you are experiencing. QD & spray waxes seem to perform well when the paint has been cleaned up and have a sealant or wax.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using AG Online
My car is always wearing a fresh coat of something or other. I use top quality microfibers using two or more. The only QD or spray sealants that leave nothing behind have been DG AW, DG fast and clean and Wolfgang spritz sealant. I am looking for other options.

jrs1418
04-08-2013, 01:11 PM
I'm no expert, but I have read that the streaky-ness is actually the polymers in the spray wax. From what I understand the water based polymers in QD's and W&W's form chain links of molecule protection that can be visible as oily streaks on glass.

Use a clean MF to follow up on glass, a little extra buffing and they should mostly disappear. If they don't use glass cleaner.

lkotsios
04-08-2013, 01:18 PM
I'm no expert, but I have read that the streaky-ness is actually the polymers in the spray wax. From what I understand the water based polymers in QD's and W&W's form chain links of molecule protection that can be visible as oily streaks on glass.

Use a clean MF to follow up on glass, a little extra buffing and they should mostly disappear. If they don't use glass cleaner.
They do show up on glass more readily, any new QD I get I test on glass first to see a preview of what I am going to get on my paint. Have you noticed these greasy streaks as well on your car?

Setec Astronomy
04-08-2013, 01:32 PM
I also find many QD's leave greasy residue that requires a lot of wiping to remove. One of the better ones is Clearkote Quik Shine which is no longer sold here at AG, and of course as you noted the FC&S, or as I like to call it, Z-6.

jrs1418
04-11-2013, 02:57 AM
In my experience humidity plays a factor along with any LSP's that might be on there rejecting the QD or W&W. Also contamination like waterspotting or fallout on the glass makes it more difficult to buff clean.

PiPUK
04-11-2013, 03:38 AM
Quick Detailers are generally little different from diluted water based sealants. They have lower levels of active ingredients (oils, silicones, polymers, waxes) but , fundamentally, the same potential problems are present. Application is typically the key with sealants and it can be the reason for streaks with a QD. Often streaking will be a result of an uneven drying which can be down to the wrong temperatures/humidity but more commonly it is down to over application. There are products which are genuine WOWA but the majority really need to be used sparingly and buffed well at the point of application. If you spray generously and wipe without the buffing, it would not be unexpected that you might end up with a less than perfect finish when it dries.