PDA

View Full Version : Urethane lip repair

gregayo
04-07-2013, 08:17 PM
Hey everyone.

First off. Sorry if I put this in the wrong place. Mods please move it if you need to

I baught a poly urethane front lip and installed it. Unfortunately I didn't secure the middle properly and when I was driving wind pushed it down and it was scraping the ground. Once I got a chance to stop and get out to look. I saw their was a bite about a foot long out of the lip.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/04/08/bemydu9a.jpg

You could see what I mean. In the middle where it goes up. That's where the lip was damaged.

Does anyone know how I could fix this?

I heard of some people doing plastic welding or something like that. Any ideas are welcomed!

Thanks!

Antihero47
04-07-2013, 08:21 PM
Youtube - Plastic weldingDo you have the piece that's missing? Is it all in one piece?

Otherwise I might sand the whole thing down to match the lowest portion or maybe make the damage into a symmetrical cutout so it looked like it was that way when you got it.

Good luck, hard lesson to learn.

gregayo
04-07-2013, 08:28 PM
Youtube - Plastic weldingDo you have the piece that's missing? Is it all in one piece?

Otherwise I might sand the whole thing down to match the lowest portion or maybe make the damage into a symmetrical cutout so it looked like it was that way when you got it.

Good luck, hard lesson to learn.

No the piece that's missing is probably dust by now because of it grinding against the road. :(

I would sand to lowest portion but at that point it would be to small (the lip). I'm thinking of maybe trying to even it out. But id rather mold something or some how make it more out like its original shape

cardaddy
04-08-2013, 12:43 AM
Oh I know how to fix it, but it's going to require your credit card and the same place that lip came from. :eek:

Hate to see that on a brand new part for SURE!!! I can only imagine the few choice words you had on the side of the road when you saw the damage.:nomore:

Reminds me of what I did to a fiberglass spoiler on a 77 Celica I bought new. I had a friend... oh wait a minute, y'all know this 'friend'... it's "Mike". :laughing: Anyhow, his first wife had left her cashed paycheck in an envelope on the table at a place where we went to have lunch. When we realized they demanded I turn around THEN AND THERE in the median of the expressway. Stupid me didn't think about the new, sharp-n-pointy spoiler sticking down underneath the front end and when I hit the dip in the middle of the grass it snapped that sucker off like a popsicle stick! Neither one of them said $hit at the time, nor did they offer to pay for it.

After going back to the mall to check. Which was just plain on STUPID. We then checked the dumpster, which had been hauled to the dump. We spent the rest of the afternoon digging around IN THE DUMP for a white envelope with $175 in it. Thinking back on it, I'd been better off just paying MIKE the money for his brain dead wife's check. Then having him PAY ME for my freakin' car! :rolleyes:

davey g-force
04-08-2013, 01:24 AM
I know it doesn't really answer your question, but it looks like it was meant to be that way! The missing part is almost perfectly symmetrical and in the middle.

I'm thinking this is your best option:

or maybe make the damage into a symmetrical cutout so it looked like it was that way when you got it.

gregayo
04-08-2013, 06:55 PM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/04/09/2unyryge.jpg

Fixed ! What do you all think :)

davey g-force
04-08-2013, 09:10 PM
Great work! :xyxthumbs:

Is that for real, or a photoshop job? :)

akj
04-08-2013, 09:39 PM
How'd ya do it

Sent from my SCH-L710 using AG Online

gregayo
04-08-2013, 10:42 PM
How'd ya do it

I basically used tape to mask out the shape I wanted. Then I used tin snips to cut off the bulk of the material I needed to cut. Then finished her off with a dremol. Now I'm going to plasti dip it tomorrow or the next day to finish it off

akj
04-08-2013, 10:49 PM
NICE!! I was gonna suggest fiberglass but looks like u did a great job