PDA

View Full Version : Question about Air Force master blaster...

Lexi65
04-07-2013, 03:11 PM
Is this really good for blowing dust..not dirt.. off of clean car that's been sitting in garage.

Feed back please. Thanks!!

silverfox
04-07-2013, 03:13 PM
Oh yeah. Really cleans out the dust from the garage as well.

BobbyG
04-07-2013, 03:33 PM
Yes. :props:

Concentrated high speed air will remove the majority of surface dust that accumulated overnight. If the surface was treated with a product such as Permanon it would tend to repel dust particles making the dust removal and also more effective.

fenderpicks
04-07-2013, 03:37 PM
I was actually thinking about using the MB to remove light dust.... on my WRX the other day.
But i was afraid that as the air that is removing the dust would scratch the paint or something....
Anyone know if that is possible?

BobbyG
04-07-2013, 03:45 PM
I was actually thinking about using the MB to remove light dust.... on my WRX the other day.
But i was afraid that as the air that is removing the dust would scratch the paint or something....
Anyone know if that is possible?

As long as it's light dust you shouldn't be inducing scratches into the paint just from blowing. If this was the case then a simple drive down the road would do the same thing...

fenderpicks
04-07-2013, 03:50 PM
HHAHAHA good point Bobby. I completely forgot about driving down the road lol.....

SR99
04-07-2013, 07:16 PM
Yes, the Master Blaster will blow light surface dust off, providing you have a good layer of slick wax or sealant. It doesn’t completely remove all dust, no matter how good your wax layer. A quick sweep with the Master blaster followed by a quick sweep of a Swiffer Duster (which is how I know the MB didn’t blow all the dust off, because you can see it in the Swiffer fibers) is a great combination (but you only want to do this on a lightly dusty car). I’ve been doing this combo for close to a year on a new car, and still have only a few faint random fine scratches in the paint (not enough to consider compounding yet).

Just driving around does induce fine scratches. It’s not the same as blowing with the Master Blaster because when driving, you are getting pelted by air infused with dust/dirt in it (more like sand blasting, and the particles hit your paint with some momentum), while the Master Blaster is blowing clean air at stationary dust settled on the surface.

An example at the extremes is driving through a dust storm or a dust devil (which you might not have ever experienced unless you live in the southwest). Sometimes a dust storm is gone after a couple miles of driving, but you can tell by the crackling sound against your car that it’s being sand blasted. A dust devil is literally like a tornado (it’s a funnel cloud of dust) but much smaller (1-2 traffic lanes wide at the base) and much lower velocity winds. Still, you know you are being blasted with dust when it’s unavoidable that you drive through a dust devil.

Under normal daily driving your car is constantly being pelted with fine dust (both from dust in the air as you drive through it, and dust raised from the road surface by cars in front of you (especially large trucks), and by your own car. Most of it is probably the equivalent of 2000 grit or higher, but there will always be some coarser grits mixed in. Still, with enough repetition, even 2000 grit will abrade through paint.

You don’t notice because a) you can’t normally hear the dust pelting you as you drive, and b) it’s the accumulated light blasting over thousands of hours of driving that creates the random fine scratches. Driving through a dust storm probably concentrates the equivalent of thousands of hours of regular “dusty air” driving into a few minutes time, but the net effect is the same and only the amount of time it takes is different.

swanicyouth
04-07-2013, 07:55 PM
I use my AirForce Blaster to blow dust and pollen off my black car all the time, almost daily. It works to blow all the fuzz that gets stuck on the convertible top as well. It won't remove all of it, but it sure removes a lot. No scratches come from blowing air.

I also use it to blow and dust or particles that may have accumulated on a clean panel directly before I polish and wax it. This "dust" can be easily seen on a black car under fluorescent lighting. On other colors it may be hard or impossible to see, but I see it all the time in my garage. You can watch it being blown off.