PDA

View Full Version : Foam Pad selecting help needed

Pages : [1] 2

Steelman
04-07-2013, 11:01 AM
Foam Pad selecting help needed

I recently purchased my first DA Polisher a Chicago Platinum 6" DA Polisher, 6,400 OPM, 5/16" - 24 UNF. (Hook and Loop)
I am thinking about buying 6.5 size foam pads so I'll have a 1/2" cushin between backing plate and any part of the car. I have been reading a lot threads on the different pads ant types. The more I read the dizzier I get. I would like a pad that dose not absorb a lot of product and is not real thick. I'm looking at this:.... Dual Action Deluxe Foam Pad Kit (http://www.autogeek.net/bf200.html) Is anyone using these pads or there flat pads?.
I am open to any and all suggestions, opinions and info.

TYI Feed back please

ski2
04-07-2013, 12:25 PM
The backing plate on the HF does not seem to be of the best quality and in any case to get the most out of the polisher you should drop down to a 5" backing plate and use 5.5" pads. Also, to get the best performance from the polisher I'd say go with low profile flat pads--no dimples or bumps. On your first 5 or 6 pack of 5.5" pads you'll save enough to purchase the backing plate and from then on you'll save about $15 on each six pack of pads.

sharpreflection
04-07-2013, 09:27 PM
I agree with ski2. I still think the best pads are 5.5 inch flat lake country pads. Although I have been playing around with the orange pads that harbor freight has and I think they are pretty good.

spiralout462
04-07-2013, 09:37 PM
This is the way to go in my opinion.....
Lake Country 5 1/2 x 7/8 inch Beveled Edge Pads 6 Pack, foam pad kit, build a kit, buffing pads, curved edge pads (http://www.autogeek.net/lake-country-beveled-pad-kit.html)
lake country 5 inch backing plate, 5 inch backin plate, 5 inch hook and loop backing plate (http://www.autogeek.net/lc43125.html)

sharpreflection
04-08-2013, 11:33 AM
spiralout462 that is a good pick as well!

swanicyouth
04-08-2013, 12:01 PM
Any quality foam pads will work for you since your new. Buff n Shine, Lake Country, and Meg's seem to be the big 3. I believe Meg's compounding pad isn't recommended to be used with a DA.

The easiest solution is LC Hydrotech Pads, as you only need 3 types for everything and they are available here. However, I can tell you these pads don't last the longest. In fact I've had several LC pads de-laminate recently.

Chemical Guys also has pads and they are very good. I think if I was starting all over again I would buy CG or Buff N Shine pads.

ski2
04-08-2013, 01:46 PM
Buff N Shine pads. Been using the B&S pads for a year now and they've held up very well--no delamination and no colapsing in the center and they've gotten some hard use.

Steelman
04-09-2013, 07:50 AM
Howdy everyone and thank you for your help.
I have decided to go with Lake Country 5 1/2 x 7/8 inch Beveled Edge Pads 6 Pack, foam pad kit, build a kit, buffing pads, curved edge pads and lake country 5 inch backing plate, I'm going to also buy the cleaning brush and foam pad cleaner.

Again thank you everyone :dblthumb2:

cardaddy
04-09-2013, 07:46 PM
Foam Pad selecting help needed

I recently purchased my first DA Polisher a Chicago Platinum 6" DA Polisher, 6,400 OPM, 5/16" - 24 UNF. (Hook and Loop)
I am thinking about buying 6.5 size foam pads so I'll have a 1/2" cushin between backing plate and any part of the car. I have been reading a lot threads on the different pads ant types. The more I read the dizzier I get. I would like a pad that dose not absorb a lot of product and is not real thick. I'm looking at this:.... Dual Action Deluxe Foam Pad Kit (http://www.autogeek.net/bf200.html) Is anyone using these pads or there flat pads?.
I am open to any and all suggestions, opinions and info.

You should probably be looking at only running 5½" pads to get the most out of your DA. The link for the 6-pack, choose your own is a great start.

Just keep in mind that you will need at a minimum, 4 of your chosen cutting pads to get a single vehicle completed. You'll not need as many polishing pads but trying to do an average sized vehicle with only 2 is also a stretch.

Where it gets tricky is figuring out which pads will work for your needs. Could be orange is as much cut as you need, or it may be you need yellow. :dunno: Another thing that comes into play here is what compound you plan on using. Three different compounds on the same pad will result in totally different correction results. Just as three different pads with the same compound will also yield differing results.

In any event, pads are the key to getting the most out of your new DA. IMHO there should be a deal on a "Bakers Dozen" as a start up kit. ;) To be able to have a combo of pads say 4, 4, 3, 2 could very well end up with a workable solution for not just one, but a number of paint conditions. :xyxthumbs:

spiralout462
04-09-2013, 08:44 PM
In any event, pads are the key to getting the most out of your new DA. IMHO there should be a deal on a "Bakers Dozen" as a start up kit. ;) To be able to have a combo of pads say 4, 4, 3, 2 could very well end up with a workable solution for not just one, but a number of paint conditions. :xyxthumbs:

Well said Cardaddy! I found that out after I had to order pads 3 weeks in a row instead of just getting what I needed to start with.

ObsessiveAutoDetail
04-09-2013, 09:00 PM
Any quality foam pads will work for you since your new. Buff n Shine, Lake Country, and Meg's seem to be the big 3. I believe Meg's compounding pad isn't recommended to be used with a DA.

The easiest solution is LC Hydrotech Pads, as you only need 3 types for everything and they are available here. However, I can tell you these pads don't last the longest. In fact I've had several LC pads de-laminate recently.

Chemical Guys also has pads and they are very good. I think if I was starting all over again I would buy CG or Buff N Shine pads.

I believe the Chem Guys pads ARE Buff N Shine...

Steelman
04-10-2013, 09:13 PM
Where it gets tricky is figuring out which pads will work for your needs. Could be orange is as much cut as you need, or it may be you need yellow. :dunno: Another thing that comes into play here is what compound you plan on using. Three different compounds on the same pad will result in totally different correction results. Just as three different pads with the same compound will also yield differing results:xyxthumbs:

cardaddy,
I am ordering a 5" backing plate and 5 1/2" foam pads.
I have thought about what you said /|\. I guess time will tell. It will be a trial and test for a bit. I don't plan on doing any other cars for awhile.

Johny B
04-10-2013, 10:29 PM

:iagree:

WRAPT C5Z06
04-11-2013, 12:07 AM
Meg's MF Cutting pads(cutting)
Lake country orange pads(light cutting)
Lake country white pads(polishing)
Lake Country black pads(finishing)
Lake Country blue pads(LSP)

DONE!! :D

bootstrap
04-11-2013, 12:13 AM
Meg's MF Cutting pads(cutting)
Lake country orange pads(light cutting)
Lake country white pads(polishing)
Lake Country black pads(finishing)
Lake Country blue pads(LSP)

DONE!! :D

Would you differentiate polishing and finishing for me? Black pads seem suited to lsp/wax application too

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX HD