PDA

View Full Version : Newbbie Hobbist - want to get started

Pages : [1] 2

zmanjohn
04-07-2013, 10:45 AM
Hello all, my name is Bill, joined forum about 1 month or so ago. I have been spending a LOT of time reading all the posts and trying some things with great success.

I would like to purchase some items to get started at home on ONLY my personal vechiles at this point. I just more or less want to take care of my vehicles and keep them clean and shinny, but let me start out with this, I have two younger kids and a wife, that really don't care how the vehicle looks as long as it gets them to where they are going. So pretty much every week, I am cleaning out all the junk accumulated from the week prior.

A little hisotry on me, I have been doing mechanical work on vechiles, heavy type of machinery and equipemnt for over 24yrs. I have rebuilt and painted many years ago both automobiles and military aircraft using the new style expoy paints. I have also done custom work on vehicles in a home shop with limited tools and produced a show quality results, under the guidance of a professional. So ia familar with wet sanding, blocking out and polishing afterwards. I had a 7' polisher, but sold it years ago, needed the money.

Since joining the forum I have gotten the "itch" to start doing more and more, but at this point I just want to get my vehicles to look GOOD. If and when I get money, then I will have a project, '69 Camaro would be my preffered, I love the body and style.

I have two vehicles '96 Avalon and '06 Odyssey, both are in good shape, but want to have them look like off show room. I have recently washed and waxed with very sub-par results. After reading, I bought the Mothers Clay bar system and Meguiar's ultimate compound followed by Meguiar's Deep Crystal CArnauba Wax. I used this on my Avalon and WOW what a difference.

I am currently in process of fixing stone chips and scrtaches on Odyssey, but spent a good amount of budget on preventative maintenance items on both cars, still have parts on order and to install.

Ok, here is what I would like to ask. I am on a limited budget and time most of the time, but I would like to know what would get me the biggest bang for my buck? I would like to purchase a DA, but don't have the funds to get either the flex or PC, was considering the HF to allow me to purchase good products to be used. Again, this is just for home use not professionally.

Could someone help with a "starter type kit" to get me on my way. I hope the detail above will help with ideas of what I am looking for. If I can not afford now I will add to my wish list, but I would like to know what I need to add.

Any suggestiones would be greatly appricated.

Feed back please

Old Tiger
04-07-2013, 11:11 AM
The HF should do fine. I recommend Microfiber cutting pads and foam finishing pads. I dont know what size backing plate the HF has. It looks like the earlier gen Griots and if so, it has good power.

zmanjohn
04-07-2013, 11:16 AM
The HF should do fine. I recommend Microfiber cutting pads and foam finishing pads. I dont know what size backing plate the HF has. It looks like the earlier gen Griots and if so, it has good power.

I believe it has a 6" pad, but according to some reviews the threads match that of the Flex and PC, so you can change the pads. I know it will not match the pneumatic pad sanders taht I have. I was thinking about just using these, but air is very expensive.

Steelman
04-07-2013, 11:30 AM
zmanjohn, Howdy
dose "HF" stand for Harbor Freight?
I just bought a Chicago Platinum 6" DA Polisher, 6,400 OPM, 5/16" - 24 UNF. (Hook and Loop) from there. A real nice polisher for the money.... tight budget.

:xyxthumbs:

zmanjohn
04-07-2013, 11:37 AM
zmanjohn, Howdy
dose "HF" stand for Harbor Freight?
I just bought a Chicago Platinum 6" DA Polisher, 6,400 OPM, 5/16" - 24 UNF. (Hook and Loop) from there. A real nice polisher for the money.... tight budget.

:xyxthumbs:

Steelman, Yes, HF is Harbor Fright. I generally don't buy "cheap" tools, as I used most for a living. Now that I am more of a Hobbist, I can't aford to put down $200 for a good name brand. I would love to have what the pros have, but can't aford.
Thanks for the info. I have a coupon and was thinking aobut using it, but I wanted to get an idea of what the group would recommend so I could maximize my budget.

rustytruck
04-07-2013, 08:00 PM
Welcome.

snfapm1983
04-07-2013, 08:50 PM
You can buy a Porter Cable fairly cheap.

check these guys out!

Porter Cable 7424XP Car Buffer, 7424 XP Polisher (http://www.autogeek.net/pocapobu.html)

Robert8194
04-07-2013, 09:57 PM
You can buy a Porter Cable fairly cheap.

check these guys out!

Please review forum rules.

andy2485
04-07-2013, 09:59 PM
my HF DA has worked great, you can buy a 2 year warranty, so if something happens just go get a new one.

andy2485
04-07-2013, 10:01 PM
are you looking for everything? carwash? detail spray? waxes? polishes? towels? etc?

zmanjohn
04-08-2013, 07:45 AM
are you looking for everything? carwash? detail spray? waxes? polishes? towels? etc?

Anndy2485,
Yes, I am looking for a basics type of kit to get me started for home use. I want to purchase the grit guard, I would like to get some MF towels as well as buffer and whatever else I am missing. Here is what I do have:
Foamer, bought at local supply store
Meguiar's car wash & wax, almost new
Mother's Clay Bar kit
Meguiar's Ultimate Polish
Meguiar's Wax
I have been picking up supplies at local store, since I have been doing some other work and needing to get some parts.
I would much rather spend the money on good products and what is needed than $150 on buffer. There are some really good specials going on now and would like to avail.
I am just confused as to what to spend my money on. I just have a limited budget of $200 and trying to maximize as much as possible.
Thanks for your help.

thebamboo23
04-08-2013, 08:11 AM
You need a machine. Its a must

andy2485
04-08-2013, 08:35 AM
look for deals/clearances/sales!!!! wheater it be at Wal-mart, on-line, or even on craigslist!

chemical guys has great deals right now, on microfibers, and other products.

go to your local walmart and see if they have clearance aisle, if so often times they will have meguair products.

even check craigslist to see if anyone in your area is selling supplies.

if you have a costco membership, go buy some microfibers for windows and interiors.

zmanjohn
04-08-2013, 11:03 AM
look for deals/clearances/sales!!!! wheater it be at Wal-mart, on-line, or even on craigslist!

chemical guys has great deals right now, on microfibers, and other products.

go to your local walmart and see if they have clearance aisle, if so often times they will have meguair products.

even check craigslist to see if anyone in your area is selling supplies.

if you have a costco membership, go buy some microfibers for windows and interiors.

I did go to Sam's this past weekend and they had micro-fiber, They seemed cheap, but not really sure how good. That is also a good idea to check Craigslist. I will see what I can find. Wal-mart here did not have much, they were almost completely sold out, again part of the reason I was looking online.
Thanks for all your suggestions, I will do some research.

snfapm1983
04-08-2013, 05:29 PM
Please review forum rules.

Sorry about that.