PDA

View Full Version : How does this order look? My first detailing "kit"

Pages : [1] 2

Supergumby5000
04-07-2013, 12:21 AM
Hey all, just another detailing newbie getting sucked in here.... The wife and I both got our first brand new cars this year, so I would like to make sure they're taken care of properly from the get go.

The goal: Ide like to piece together a reliable detailing kit, but I dont want to break the bank TOO hard. The vehicles are charcoal grey ram 2500 and a fire engine red mustang.

Here is a list of products my newbish self came up with. If anyone has reccomendations to minimize the cost and/or replace junk products, I would appreciate it :dblthumb2:

Polisher - 7424XP + 5" backing pad - $100 (Amazon w/ discount)
Pads - Lake Country flat 6 pack ($35)
Wash - No idea... the stang is a street queen, the truck will see mud/sand/snow/you name it.
Clay - Megs smooth surface clay kit ($21)
Swirl Remover - Megs M105 ($11)
Finishing Polish - Klasse AIO ($15)
Paint Sealant - Klasse high gloss ($20)
Wax - Collinite 845 ($17)
Detailing spray - Pinnacle XMT 360 ($16)
Wheel cleaner - Sonax full effect ($25 w/ daytona brush)
Tire/interior/plastic Protectant - Carpro Perl ($25)
Drying - Guzzler combo kit ($27)
Wax towels - Griots Garage wax remove cloth 3-pack ($18)
detailer/polish towels - green microfiber 6 pack ($18)
Wash mitts - micro chenille 3 pack ($25)
Mothers fender well brush ($8)
Grit guard 2 pack - ($18)
Buckets from local hardware....

That totals up to around $375... by far the most i've have ever considered spending in one shot on cleaning stuff!

Ide appreciate it if you guru's could take a glance at that list and see what you think! Feed back please

otruba_843
04-07-2013, 01:24 AM
Your missing M205 if you are going to use M105.

cleanmycorolla
04-07-2013, 01:26 AM
Hey so just one quick thing I see.....IF this is your first time polishing, I'd stay away from m105. But thats just me. However, if you use m105, KAIO is not IME going to remove what m105 could create, so ideally you should get m205, just to keep it in the family. There are other combos however that will get you where you need to go.

Of course all just my opinion, but def get 5 1/2" pads, and lots of quality microfiber. Good towels are key they help keep your hard work in polishing intact! Maybe get some ONR, some CG Mr Pink or DP Extreme Foam. Also just my opinion, but get if you're going to use 845 don't bother with the class, just polish everything out nice and got straight to 845, if you want two coats just to ensure coverage.

Also I see no mention of the cars interior....you should look into Wolfgang Cockpit Trim Sealant, and something like DP Interior Cleaner or CG Inner Clean to keep your interior sharp too. To me, the best part of a detail is the interior, its where you spend most of your time! so def look into some interior cleaners and dressings. I see you have PERL and thats great as it can be used as needed for interior. Also look into an APC something like CG All Clean + or ECO Smart APC. You're off to a decent start. GL :)

pasipple
04-07-2013, 03:20 AM
You're going to need more Guzzler drying towels....

Im the MAN

ski2
04-07-2013, 07:04 AM
Agree with cleanmycorolla--if you're new to machine polishing there are easier to use alternatives to 105/205. If you want to stay in the Megs family then Ultimate Compound and Ultimate Polish. Optimum Compound and Optimum Polish would also be good choices as the have long working times, leave no heavy oils behind and are easy to remove.

Also, 5.5" flat pads are the way to go (don't forget to purchase a 5" backing plate), but you're going to need more than 6. To be safe use 4 pads per step ie example 4 orange for UC, 4 white for UP then one finishing type pad per LSP you plan to use.

Have you considered the Groits Garage polisher?? IMO it's ideal for the weekend detailer--more powerful than the pc and has a lifetime warranty--good deals out there on the GG v2

FUNX650
04-07-2013, 07:17 AM
Hi and...:welcome:...to AGO.

To get the most bang for the buck on detailing "kits"...
I suggest that you give one of the good folks at AGO a call.

Nick's my favorite. :xyxthumbs:

:)

Bob

Dougw4355
04-07-2013, 07:17 AM
Any order is a good order if you ask me,,,The griots 6 inch is an awesome buffer

William D.
04-07-2013, 08:46 AM
Yeah man, I love my Griot's Garage Polisher. I was having a tough time deciding between that and the 7424XP, but I'm glad I went with the Griots.

The best wheel cleaner I've come across so far is Mothers Foaming Tire and Wheel Cleaner.

They have it here, in a 1 gallon container for $32. On a 15 year old set of Trail Mark white letter tires, it completely rejuvenated them. The whitewalls were reddish grey and the wheels always had a slightly brownish tint to them. Used everything I could find, and some of the boutique products here.

Bought the Mothers, sprayed it on, agitated it a little, and the tires look brand new. I was amazed. Best tire product I've ever come across.

Threehundredc
04-07-2013, 08:52 AM
i just did a detail with 105,205 and it came out very nice other than that looks like you got a decent kit to get started youll read up and pick things up as you learn

NY-Bondo
04-07-2013, 09:49 AM
I think you will find the grit-guards will not fit the hardware buckets. They would not work in my Home-Depot bucket.

Audi X2
04-07-2013, 09:51 AM

Bob

:iagree:

This is excellent advice. Talk to Nick and he will get an order together for you with the correct items and you will start with the best selections.

Sicoupe
04-07-2013, 10:38 AM
Welcome! Congrats on the new rides:)

Evan.J
04-07-2013, 12:54 PM

Bob

I too :agree:

Great advice

509IS350
04-07-2013, 01:08 PM
Duragloss for your wash soap is good and cheap too. I would use M205 instead of Klassse AIO. Also Klasse HGS is learning curve if you never used it. IMO theres better sealants for a couple more bucks. Powerlock, Wolfgang, and Blackfire.

Supergumby5000
04-07-2013, 01:54 PM
Wow, thanks for the input everyone, I didnt expect that many responses...

I'll revise my list a bit and post back up. I would call AGO but I REALLY want to get the order done before tomorrow because I know the weather is going to be good next weekend and I'll actually have FREE TIME that will be dedicated to the vehicles.