PDA

View Full Version : Metal Polishing & Buffing

Mirror Finish
04-06-2013, 08:54 PM
Polishing some chrome with a buffing wheel, the edge of the buffing wheel got black, just as it does when polishing / buffing aluminum.

The black deposits on the buffing wheel tend to bond the fibers together and harden the buffing edge.

What do the pros do? Is there a way to dress the contact edge of the buffing wheel? So far, I've been washing them to get them back to new condition and reusing them.

What about buffing compounds? I use Autosol which is a consumer grade metal polish. What do the pros use? Like paint polishes, are there different grades of metal polish...maybe jeweler's rouge?

Vegas Transplant
04-06-2013, 09:24 PM
Polishing some chrome with a buffing wheel, the edge of the buffing wheel got black, just as it does when polishing / buffing aluminum.

Sounds about right.

The black deposits on the buffing wheel tend to bond the fibers together and harden the buffing edge.

Which wheel?

What do the pros do? Is there a way to dress the contact edge of the buffing wheel? So far, I've been washing them to get them back to new condition and reusing them.

What about buffing compounds? I use Autosol which is a consumer grade metal polish. What do the pros use? Like paint polishes, are there different grades of metal polish...maybe jeweler's rouge?

Looking forward to ordering these from AGO...be a while before I get my wish list up to $95...might wait for free shipping/$50.

Meguiars Medium Cut Metal Polish (http://www.autogeek.net/meguiars-medium-cut-metal-polish.html)

Meguiars Heavy Cut Metal Polish (http://www.autogeek.net/meguiars-heavy-cut-metal-polish.html)

jvs1991
04-06-2013, 09:43 PM
Looking forward to ordering these from AGO...be a while before I get my wish list up to $95...might wait for free shipping/$50.

Meguiars Medium Cut Metal Polish (http://www.autogeek.net/meguiars-medium-cut-metal-polish.html)

Meguiars Heavy Cut Metal Polish (http://www.autogeek.net/meguiars-heavy-cut-metal-polish.html)

You can order those Megs polishes from advance auto with coupon code and do store pick up if you want.

Vegas Transplant
04-06-2013, 09:52 PM
Good advice.
Thank you.
I'll never get that list built up now :(

jvs1991
04-06-2013, 09:53 PM
Lol I'm Sure if you look hard enough you'll find 95 dollars worth of stuff you want.

Mirror Finish
04-06-2013, 09:59 PM
The buffing wheel used is a stack of cotton discs sewn together.

I got it ages ago.

After I posted, I found a YouTube video from Eastwood about metal buffing. Sure enough, there are as many various buffing wheels as there are polishing pads for paint.

There are various polishes as well.

I'll be looking into a long shaft buffer in the future. It'll beat using a drill.

Vegas Transplant
04-06-2013, 10:13 PM
Lol I'm Sure if you look hard enough you'll find 95 dollars worth of stuff you want.

True.
Finally learned to differentiate need and want.
Too many suppliers, not enough $$$ .

The buffing wheel used is a stack of cotton discs sewn together.

I got it ages ago.

After I posted, I found a YouTube video from Eastwood about metal buffing. Sure enough, there are as many various buffing wheels as there are polishing pads for paint.

There are various polishes as well.

I'll be looking into a long shaft buffer in the future. It'll beat using a drill.

Not a fan of machine polishing chrome if I don't absolutely have to. PM sent for rake at time of earlier post.

Mirror Finish
04-06-2013, 10:21 PM
Not a fan of machine polishing chrome if I don't absolutely have to. PM sent for rake at time of earlier post.

No choice unless I want to make it a life-long career out of it.

I have the exhaust headers off my motorcycle to replace a couple of seals between them and the collector and also to clean the threads of the exhaust stubs on the heads and apply fresh anti-seize compound to the compression nuts.

One header was done today and after 22 years, it looks new.

As for the rake, I later saw it on that Eastwood YouTube video. It was mounted to a wood handle. Thanks!

Vegas Transplant
04-06-2013, 10:28 PM
No choice unless I want to make it a life-long career out of it.

Funny.

I have the exhaust headers off my motorcycle to replace a couple of seals between them and the collector and also to clean the threads of the exhaust stubs on the heads and apply fresh anti-seize compound to the compression nuts.

One header was done today and after 22 years, it looks new.

Love it when a plan comes together.

As for the rake, I later saw it on that Eastwood YouTube video. It was mounted to a wood handle. Thanks!

Make one on the cheap (no snail mail) by running a few 16 penny nails in a length of a 2x4.
Maybe a foot long. Spaced fairly close together. Several rows.

Durallymax
04-07-2013, 01:22 AM
Make one on the cheap (no snail mail) by running a few 16 penny nails in a length of a 2x4.
Maybe a foot long. Spaced fairly close together. Several rows.

X2 sounds like a great idea for a wheel rake.