PDA

View Full Version : New guy in Massachusetts!

Pages : [1] 2

Garnetmica
04-06-2013, 06:32 PM
Hello everyone!

I'm a long time amateur detailer here in Massachusetts. Though I have been extremely meticulous with my vehicles I have never ventured into the world of machine polishers so I could use some guidance. I was also looking for recommendations for paint sealant.

For the last 15 or so years I have been a loyal Zaino user on my toy, S100 user for my daily drivers. More recently I have begun layering S100 on top of the Zaino on my toy. I have a variety of over the counter cleaners, polishes and waxes and recently decided it was time to venture into the world of machine polishing so I picked up a harbor freight DA, a couple of cutting pads, polishing and finishing pads. I also picked up a few Meguiars Polishing pads, some 205 and Mirror Glaze Swirl Remover.

The toy is a 2009 Mazda MX5 which is stored in the winter months, has never seen rain or snow and has a nearly flawless finish. It's a dark blue, "Stormy Blue Mica" as defined by Mazda. The clearcoat on the car is very soft. Two years ago it was washed, clayed, washed, polished by hand and several layers of Zaino applied. The car is quick detailed after almost every run. There are very few visible swirls and light scratches in the clear coat. Over the last year, I have begun layering S100 on top of the existing Zaino.

Obligatory iPhone pic:
http://www.mazda-speed.com/albums/Garnetmica/photo4.jpg

Side shot:
http://www.mazda-speed.com/albums/Garnetmica/miata_0707_copy.jpg

Top shot:
http://www.mazda-speed.com/albums/Garnetmica/miata_0238_copy.jpg

The car is usually top ranked at Miata specific shows and many have inquired about my routine but it's not as good as I think it could be. With the DA now on the shelf, I have been considering the use of a sealant once the paint has been corrected to lay the foundation for what ever I decide to layer on above it. I joined to solicit advise on what sealant might be a good start.

My thoughts are as follows. Though I am very good at detailing by hand, I have not yet corrected with a machine. I have the opportunity to practice on my daily driver (2010 Sterling Grey Ford Fusion), I'm concerned about getting the paint correction right and then sealing the paint incorrectly. With factory paint thickness in question and the soft clearcoat I want to make sure there are no halos or micro swirls permanently imbedded in the finish. I'm admittedly intimidated by the permanence I have read about with products like Opticoat and 22PLE. Can anyone else recommend a sealant that would help the durability of the finish without sacrificing depth and clarity? Thanks in advance!

smooth
04-06-2013, 06:57 PM
Welcome to AGO ! Nice car.

rustytruck
04-06-2013, 07:07 PM
Welcome to Autogeek. Where in Mass are you? If detailing your car is your hobby something like a coating might not be for you.

DaHen
04-06-2013, 07:25 PM
:welcome: to Autogeek.

Garnetmica
04-06-2013, 07:27 PM
Thanks for the welcome! I'm in Auburn. Honestly, that was one of my concerns. Though I enjoy the detailing process, my primary interest was to reduce micro marring in what appears to be pretty soft paint. I've literally found scuffs in the paint from oak leaves hit the nose at speed in the fall.

I have to admit that my self diagnosed OCD and feverish detailing revolves around a desire for paint perfection more so than the completion of the process. If a sealant were to get me to 95% with only the occasional dusting and quick detail, I could probably live with that. But if there were products that could get me to 100% with less potential for the marring I am experiencing now, I would be thrilled.

Chris@AutoCleanse
04-06-2013, 07:34 PM
Welcome to the GEEK.

Judge
04-06-2013, 08:28 PM
Welcome from a fellow MA member. It sounds like you might want to look into using a wipe on walk away sealant. This will minimize your risk of instilling imperfections in the paint

Pats300zx
04-06-2013, 08:30 PM
Welcome to AGO !!!

Garnetmica
04-06-2013, 08:33 PM
Welcome from a fellow MA member. It sounds like you might want to look into using a wipe on walk away sealant. This will minimize your risk of instilling imperfections in the paint

Any specific product you recommend?

Judge
04-06-2013, 08:41 PM
Sure. I mean you can't go wrong here, as there are several good choices. I would recommend the Wolfgang Deep Gloss Liquid Seal. You can get that in an 8 oz bottle. If you're looking for a smaller bottle, you could go with Ultima Paint Guard Plus, which comes in a 4 oz size and is also very good

SuperGlide
04-06-2013, 08:58 PM
Welcome from Ohio!

sillybinaries
04-06-2013, 09:21 PM
Welcome to AG from one town over, Sutton.. :dblthumb2:

Anthony@zerboautoworks
04-06-2013, 10:27 PM
Welcome

ProDetail
04-06-2013, 11:17 PM
First off let me say, :welcome: to AGO!!!

Second, I must say the paint on your MX5 is outstanding from what I'm seeing in the pics you've taken and I can see why your's is recognized at shows.

Third and lastly, from what you describe I would have to recommend against a semi permanent coating. If you love detailing your baby as much as you say then such a coating may take the "Fun" out of it. Finding ways to work without instilling damage may be much more gratifying.
If after that you are still insistent on a coating and your nervous about applying the coating then you can go two routes.

-1) Ask a fellow forum member (There are a quite a few, Bobby being one of the more active, I don't think he details full time but I can be wrong.) and they may be able to help you with application and possibly correction as you will need to go by machine if you need to correct the coating or any blemishes.

-2) You could pay a professional to do it, it may seem expensive but with that you get a quality coating without any risk of messing it up. I may add since your car seems fairly flawless a simple fine polish may be all that's needed before application which itself will save you alot of money.

Coatings are actually easy to apply per say because the companies have made them rather user friendly so I wouldn't be too intimidated. The choice is yours in the end, I would do a little more research, YouTube is a hell of a resource that can help you out immensely. Which ever way you go, have fun with it because in the end that's why we do what we do. Ever need any help just ask, my contact info is in my signature :).

Sicoupe
04-07-2013, 10:23 AM
Welcome! Glad to have you:)