PDA

View Full Version : clearcoat peeled off from decal removal

asmasm
04-06-2013, 11:20 AM
I have a 95 miata for autocross, the PO also used the car for autocross and had contingency decals on the hood. There are two spots about the size of a quarter where the clear peeled up when he removed them. Is there a reasonable correction option here? I am trying to avoid painting since the car is montego blue, which is complicated to mix, and mazda tweaked the color at least three times during the 90s. I haven't polished the car (and i'm not sure anyone has ever polished it) because I don't want to make the damage worse.

swanicyouth
04-06-2013, 11:23 AM
Sorry. Repaint is your one and only options. I thought Miatas were single stage??? I guess that stopped at some point.

asmasm
04-06-2013, 11:27 AM
The normal colors were all single stage but the metal flake paints were two stage. Would it be possible to spray a little clear over just the problem area and wet sand back to flat? I'm okay with not having the panel be perfect. I just want an improvement. The car hits cones at 45 mph on a regular basis so I can't be too anal about paint.

In the short term, I could live with these defects if I could just polish the car and get rid of a lot of that swirl. Is polishing around these spots a terrible idea?

swanicyouth
04-06-2013, 11:49 AM
Once clear coat starts peeling or chipping its a done deal. You can polish around the spots, but its only a matter of time until more clear starts peeling.

People have done clear coat "touch ups" with varying success. Basically, you will be able to see where the clear was added.

What about getting some other decal to cover up the area??? Maybe stripes or something??? I'm not sure where it is.