PDA

View Full Version : Buffers??

Colton205
04-05-2013, 11:46 PM
Which buffer is best to use??? What polish and which wax that can used in the sun?? It gets hot in Mississippi!!!

Rsurfer
04-06-2013, 02:36 AM
A dual action polisher is the safest and is easy to use. I don't polish or wax in the sun, but Poorboy's come to mind.

Old Tiger
04-06-2013, 05:49 AM
A dual action polisher is the safest and is easy to use. I don't polish or wax in the sun, but Poorboy's come to mind.

Ron is right on all counts! I recommend the 3rd Gen Griots 6" for power and warranty. PB is sun tolerant but shade and a cool surface yield best results!

BobbyG
04-06-2013, 06:15 AM
Which buffer is best to use??? What polish and which wax that can used in the sun?? It gets hot in Mississippi!!!

The sun isn't your enemy, it's the heat or temperature of the panel that's the real problem. Any wax or polish can be used in the sun providing it's shaded or early in the morning or very late in the day when the sun's near it's lowest point.

Another thing to consider is the color of the panel.

The color black absorbs the majority of light energy wavelengths. White reflects most wavelengths of light. Since these wavelengths carry heat energy (like in infra red) the black that absorbs most will absorb more heat while the white will reflect most of the heat.

The more light the object absorbs, the more heat absorbed since light is energy. If you consider it a color, black absorbs the most heat. A black object absorbs all wavelengths of light and reflects none. Objects that are white, on the other hand, reflect all wavelengths of light and therefore absorb the least heat.

This is an example of how color contributes to the problem:

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s225/BobbyG53/Detailing/ColorvsTemp.jpg

MicroTemp MT-PRO digital infrared thermometer

http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/autogeek/MicroTempMT-PRO.jpg

ihaveacamaro
04-06-2013, 07:14 AM
Ron is right on all counts! I recommend the 3rd Gen Griots 6" for power and warranty. PB is sun tolerant but shade and a cool surface yield best results!

:iagree:

Eandras
04-06-2013, 07:48 AM
BobbyG brings the science in and nailed it in terms that anyone can understand.

My preference for a buffer "Polisher" is the flex 3401. I also own a GG 6" 2nd generation and a PC 7242XP. With the right technique, pads, compounds and polishes you can do excellent correction on any vehicle

The choice is based on your financial situation and what you will feel comfortable with.

Ed

:autowash: :buffing:

Richard44
04-19-2013, 12:27 AM
:pc7424:I have the PorterCable 7424xp hd model I see Mike uses that model a lot so its obviously a good machine he also uses the Flexxc3401which spins a lot faster and you can work bigger sections at a time giving you better correction because of the direct drive. The PorterCable is free floating assembly so you have to watch closer to what your doing but it is also more affordable. I've thought about getting a Flex myself but if do the job correctly spending the extra money may not be necceserry I hope this helps. Richard44

piranah
04-19-2013, 12:48 AM
:pc7424:I have the PorterCable 7424xp hd model I see Mike uses that model a lot so its obviously a good machine he also uses the Flexxc3401which spins a lot faster and you can work bigger sections at a time giving you better correction because of the direct drive. The PorterCable is free floating assembly so you have to watch closer to what your doing but it is also more affordable. I've thought about getting a Flex myself but if do the job correctly spending the extra money may not be necceserry I hope this helps. Richard44

I think the PC is safer for a beginner. As lot less chance of burning the paint with a PC vs Flex

Sent from my Dell Streak using AG Online

Rsurfer
04-19-2013, 02:28 AM
I think the PC is safer for a beginner. As lot less chance of burning the paint with a PC vs Flex

Sent from my Dell Streak using AG Online

The Flex 3401 is a dual action like a PC and will not burn your paint.

HellaBroke
04-19-2013, 05:27 AM
The Flex 3401 is a dual action like a PC and will not burn your paint.

Flex = force roation, pc = not force rotation..... :/

Sent from my SGH-T889 using AG Online

Mike Phillips
04-19-2013, 07:08 AM

Hi Colton,

What are you working on?
What are you wanting to accomplish?
Have you ever done any machine polishing?
Are you working on your own cars or customer cars?

The PC "style" of polisher is the easiest tool to learn how to use and master.

Millions of cars have been de-swirled using a simple Porter Cable DA Polisher. Using good technique, good pads and good products you can take a swirled out mess and create a perfect show car finish.

The biggest benefits to other "types" of tools is speed and power. If you're just working on your own cars then a entry level tool like the PC or the variants like the Meguiar's or Griot's will work fine for you.

If you, or anyone reading this, is currently doing any type of detailing for money, or is planning on detailing for money, then the Porter Cable "style" tool is an excellent starter tool but sooner or later you're going to want and need to upgrade to a tool that offers more power and thus more speed.

So if you can answer the above three questions we can help steer you to the best right tool for you...

:)

HellaBroke
04-19-2013, 07:49 AM

I am in gulfport and while there are so many variables with paint and the condition its in.... I use menzerna fg400 2500 4000 and 4500 as far as pads lc hydrotech thin pads work great. I use a pc right now looking into a flex when a deal comes up...
Carnubas dont last long down here.... I love fuzion, like signature series 2 and souveran but life isnt much past 2 sweeks or so between hot humid and insane amounts of pollens as of late... opticoat 2.0 is the best protection I have used down here. At a bare minimu. Work in the shade. But perferably a climate controlled garage... oh wait wer in mississippi and 1 in 20 houses have garages.... stupid south... ;)
This will be debated about working in shade vs garage etc... so ready go!

Sent from my SGH-T889 using AG Online

ski2
04-19-2013, 08:18 AM
The Griots Garage DA with a 5" backing plate and 5.5" pads seems to make the most sense for the weekend detailer. It's the most powerful of all the basic PC style machines, easy to use and has a lifetime warranty. If you're only using it 10 or 12 times a year and it breaks 3 or 4 years down the road just send it back to Griots for repair or replacement. And there are some good deals out there now.