PDA

View Full Version : What am I doing wrong? Foam pad damage related

Pages : [1] 2

Marc Hufnagel
04-05-2013, 06:15 PM
Noticed several of my 5.5" foam pads on my GG 3rd gen I get a 'cut' ring just outside of the Velcro backing.

What am I doing wrong? The pad below was 1 of 2 that started showing this damage after doing 2 vehicles with them. I cleaned them every couple of panels with a terrycloth towel as I've seen done on videos before but I don't think that's it.

http://i1269.photobucket.com/albums/jj584/marchufnagel/B308683F-D2DE-45B4-BA91-B56597FBD5DC-9992-000005167E8C7558_zps2d7551b8.jpg

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
04-05-2013, 06:17 PM
Are you pulling the pad from the backing plate by holding on to the white Velcro material?

Pureshine
04-05-2013, 06:18 PM
I don't think your doing anything wrong looks like pad failed. Where did you by them from?

Marc Hufnagel
04-05-2013, 06:24 PM
Are you pulling the pad from the backing plate by holding on to the white Velcro material?

Yes, not by the foam edge. Careful about that.

Marc Hufnagel
04-05-2013, 06:25 PM
I don't think your doing anything wrong looks like pad failed. Where did you by them from?

From AG last year but just started using them.

Rockeey
04-05-2013, 06:30 PM
This seems to happen more often when the backing material does not extend to the edge of the pad (which appears to be the case on your pads)...... and/or if your backing plate extends beyond the backing material because the plate chews into the foam.

What brand of pad is that?

Marc Hufnagel
04-05-2013, 06:49 PM
This seems to happen more often when the backing material does not extend to the edge of the pad (which appears to be the case on your pads)...... and/or if your backing plate extends beyond the backing material because the plate chews into the foam.

LC. I have a 5" BP for these. Meguiars Mirror Glaze W67DA G110 DA Polisher 5 inch Backing Plate (http://www.autogeek.net/meguiars-w67da-5-inch-backing-plate.html)
I think this pad is a hydrotech.

Rockeey
04-05-2013, 09:58 PM
LC. I have a 5" BP for these. Meguiars Mirror Glaze W67DA G110 DA Polisher 5 inch Backing Plate (http://www.autogeek.net/meguiars-w67da-5-inch-backing-plate.html)
I think this pad is a hydrotech.

In the past, I have seen several users (on other forums) refer to the Hydrotech pads as Hydro-shred pads. Apparently, they have (or had) a bit of a reputation for coming apart. Not sure if Lake Country ever addressed the problem or not. I've never experienced the problem and am only sharing this as one of the potential problems you are having since you mentioned you purchased them some time ago.

There are a handful of reasons pads come apart (eg. too much product, too much pressure, too much heat, etc) so unless you feel your technique is causing the problem, you may just want to order some new pads. Actually, I think you're going to need to order some new pads anyway....the one you posted a picture of is trashed.

02xtreme07SS
04-05-2013, 10:42 PM
What speed are you running them at on the GG?

WRAPT C5Z06
04-05-2013, 11:21 PM
In the past, I have seen several users (on other forums) refer to the Hydrotech pads as Hydro-shred pads. Apparently, they have (or had) a bit of a reputation for coming apart
This is true.

cardaddy
04-05-2013, 11:30 PM
That looks like a combination of first, bad pad design (by not having the Velcro go all the way to the edge), second, a whole host of other things that could come into play. I dunno, too much speed, generating too much heat, or too much product generating too much load within the pad. Bottom line is without the backing coming all the way to the edge that little amount of foam there has NOTHING to keep it together. The backing plate Velcro hooks are sharp, and there are tens of thousands of them just chewing and gnawing at the foam.

I've heard that about the hydro's for sure. For that reason alone I've just stuck to the flats and CCS. (for foam that is) Gotta' luv the Meg's MF pads though. ;)

MTLean
04-05-2013, 11:34 PM
Same thing happened to me with the hydro tech as mentionned, backing plate becomes really hot also. Not sure if it was because of to much pressure, not enough product or just bad pads.

I was using the PC7424XP at the time. Didnt have the problem with tangerune hydro tech on my 3401

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

jrs1418
04-05-2013, 11:36 PM

THIS!:iagree:

Marc Hufnagel
04-05-2013, 11:44 PM
In the past, I have seen several users (on other forums) refer to the Hydrotech pads as Hydro-shred pads. Apparently, they have (or had) a bit of a reputation for coming apart. Not sure if Lake Country ever addressed the problem or not. I've never experienced the problem and am only sharing this as one of the potential problems you are having since you mentioned you purchased them some time ago.

There are a handful of reasons pads come apart (eg. too much product, too much pressure, too much heat, etc) so unless you feel your technique is causing the problem, you may just want to order some new pads. Actually, I think you're going to need to order some new pads anyway....the one you posted a picture of is trashed.

Yeah my 2 tangerine are like this. The finishing pad I used is fine.

Marc Hufnagel
04-05-2013, 11:45 PM
What speed are you running them at on the GG?

Those 2 were @ 5 with m205.