PDA

View Full Version : Claying and Cleansing my new Land Rover LR2

Fos
04-04-2013, 04:39 PM
Hello:

Help, I washed my new Land Rover and when I rub my fingers over the hood the paint felt very smooth. When I performed the baggie test, it felt I was rubbing the baggie across sand paper. This vehicle was manufactured in September 2012 and I took delivery off the lot February 2013. Does this seem to be correct? I would think the paint would be in much better shape.
Second question: When claying, do I clay all painted surfaces horizontal (hood & roof) and vertical (fenders, doors, front bumper, & rear door)?
Are my next steps then Pinnacle "Paintwork Cleansing Lotion" with a Polishing Pal, and finally applying a wax. Do you have a recommendation for what type of wax to utilize? Since, I'm a novice, I intend to do this by hand. Machines will come later I hope, once I have some success by hand.

Thank You

Foz

Wheelzntoys
04-04-2013, 05:02 PM
That is normal, usually they sit in lots and transported via rail and/or truck.

I would hit it with IronX first. Clay all paintwork and glass. Rims can also be clayed.

As far as wax there are many good ones, depends on what your looking for.

Maxwax, Nattys or Collinites are great for their price and what they give.

cartman57
04-04-2013, 06:00 PM
When you do clay, use plenty of lube.
Many good waxes to choose from hard and liquid.
DP MaxWax, easy on easy off. Dodo Juice Hard Candy, smells great!
Collinite 854 liquid (shake it up real good though)

A lot of reviews on the forum, all depends what you're looking for.

Prep is the most important part of the final result.

What color, any defects, swirls, holograms.....?

Fos
04-04-2013, 07:20 PM
Thanks for the help:

cartman57 & Wheelzntoys

Color of my LR2 is Baltic Blue (Navy Blue), no defects or swirls that I can find yet, but I just got my new swirl light last night, haven't used it yet!

Foz:buffing: