PDA

View Full Version : First post - Question about blue jean dye on seats

stang428
04-04-2013, 06:29 AM
Hi,

I have tried couple of leather cleaners like Lexol, Wolfsgang cleaner/conditioner on front seat with BJ dye. I am afraid of ruining leather so what are my next choice? Thanks

BobbyG
04-04-2013, 06:35 AM
:welcome: To Autogeek Online!

As a matter of fact I did one on Monday.

2013 Hyundai Elantra Limited tan leather interior

Optimum Power Clean reduced 3:1 removed everything nicely. I followed this up with Lexol leather cleaner then conditioner...

Good as new...:props:

Mike Phillips
04-04-2013, 07:21 AM
Here's the link to Optimum PC on Autogeek.net

Optimum Power Clean All Purpose Cleaner 17 oz (http://www.autogeek.net/optimum-power-clean-apc.html)

Bobby's testimony is as good as gold and my good friend Dr. David Ghodoussi, the chemist behind Optimum products is a GREAT chemist. Optimum Power Clean is a very safe and versatile product.

I've always had trouble getting the blue ink stains from Blue Jeans out of leather and if Bobby says the OPC works for him I'm guessing it's at least a good option to try.

Please update this thread as to your results...

And since this was your first post to our forum...

Welcome to AutogeekOnline!

:welcome:

57BORNTORUN
04-04-2013, 07:30 AM
First of all Chris, you need to change that Pittsburgh to Florida in your avatar.Welcome to AG.

vet
04-04-2013, 07:37 AM
Welcome!

BobbyG
04-04-2013, 08:15 AM
One more note.

I sprayed Optimum Power Clean directly on the leather seat, let it dwell about 15 seconds, then rubbed it vigorously with a terrycloth towel. I wanted to be aggressive but not damage the seat. The terrycloth towel is soft yet rugged enough to scrub.

The blue jean die came off easily and the woman admitted that she's been meaning to get it looked at for a while...... that tells me it's been there for a while....

Leather is a nice material for seats and is pretty much impervious to permanent staining because it's treated, dyed, and sealed by its manufacture. Whether I needed to or not, these are the two products I used once the blue had been removed.

http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/autogeek_2253_118827423

http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/autogeek_2254_38924309

judyb
04-04-2013, 11:43 AM
You have what is known as dye transfer.
Dye Transfer is the dyestuff transferred to leather from clothing, newsprint or from hair dyes and fake tans. It is more usually seen on light coloured, protected, leathers but it can occur on any leather, though not as noticeably. Basically the dye has redyed the leather. It is a very common problem.

First check the type of leather you have. Dye transfer can generally be used safely on pigment coated leather but not always from Aniline style leather. Dye transfer removal products should not be used on Aniline leather and it is best to take expert advice before any attempt is made. Auto leather is generally pigment coated but it is worth checking.

If noticed early enough it can be successfully removed from most pigment coated leather with a Jean and Dye Transfer Removal Kit. This contains specifically formulated (by leather technologists) products for this problem. If this cleaning process does not resolve the problem it will be necessary to call in an experienced technician as early as possible. The longer the dye sits in/on the leather the harder it will be to remove.

Using a good quality Leather Protector will help to inhibit dye transfer as the dye will sit on the protector and not on the finish of the leather. This also makes it much easier to clean off. Conditioners will not do this and should not be used.
Owners of pale and off-white leather are recommended to adopt a gentle regular cleaning and protecting regime using good quality maintenance and protection products (not conditioners as these actually attract more dirt) Please do not use anything containing waxes or oils on your leather as these will not help and polishes may seal the surface and prevent further cleaning.

Please do not use Magic Erasers to clean leather as these are a very fine sand paper and will damage the finish on the leather causing long term problems.

Products sold in furniture stores and supermarkets are not generally strong enough products to really protect leather from this problem or to clean the dye transfer once it has happened.

Always take expert advice when dealing with leather as they will help you avoid expensive problems.

Please do not use saddle soap which is meant for saddles and not the type of leather you have. It is too harsh for modern leather finishes and could damage the leather.

Hope this helps
Judyb

waderw24
04-04-2013, 11:49 AM
I had this same issue and DP Interior Cleaner took it right off, no dwell time, etc. Just sprayed it on my clean MF towel and wiped away.

Klasse Act
04-04-2013, 11:51 AM
This sounds like a job for Alien Kleen!

Sent from my SPH-M930 using AG Online

VroomVroom
04-04-2013, 12:22 PM
Great advice above. I've been so tempted to buy OPC...now I have my validation. It'll be on the next order.

FWIW, about five-six years ago, I had a tough detail on a GM truck that had the same issue....in spades. After trying four or five different cleaners and brushes, on a complete whim I tried....a clay bar. Don't laugh. It worked. :) A little Poorboys S&W as a lube, and I was off to the races. Not something I'd necessarily recommend, at least without caution (see Judy's post above), but I had a smile on my face for the rest of that day.

Johnnyboy
04-04-2013, 12:32 PM
The other day I was in a crunch (ran out of OPC) and I used Purple Power 10:1 and it took the jean dye transfer right off the seats with no dwell time. I used terry towels to agitate and clean then followed with Lexol leather cleaner but didn't see any difference after going over with the Lexol.

Also...try getting your hands on some of those Magic Erasers and using lightly with your cleaner but try it in a hidden spot first.....works for me!

Robert8194
04-04-2013, 12:47 PM
I have had excellent luck with Four Star gel. I wish we could get the gallon.

judyb
04-04-2013, 01:44 PM
Please do not use Magic Erasers as these will remove the top finish on the leather and leave it even more vulnerable to staining.
Over the counter cleaners can work on occasions if the dye transfer is very fresh or the top coat is not very porous, also if a quality leather protector has been used regularly.
Hope this helps

Ipsdrew
04-04-2013, 02:36 PM
If you need something quick try the Surf City Garage Dash Away cleaner. Works great for dye transfer. Most wally worlds carry it.

stang428
04-04-2013, 04:41 PM
Thanks for the responses. I will try the OPC - anxious to see results and will keep you posted.
Address will change to Florida as I find adequate home - actually garage...:)