PDA

View Full Version : Pressure Washing

pasipple
04-03-2013, 10:28 PM
I've done searches and have looked through the "how to" videos...but can't find any specifics on pressure washing a vehicle.

Can anyone direct me to info on pressure washing? I'm a little surprised that pressure washing would be good for a vehicle but I've read on the forums that it can be less abrasive to the paint then mitts.

I'm looking for techniques, what size nozzle/tip to use, etc...

Thanks...

sweatthedetails
04-03-2013, 11:40 PM
I use a Karcher electric. Use no more than 1200 psi. Don't spray damaged paint or loose emblems, pretty much just common scents type stuff.

www.SweatTheDetails.Time2Detail.com
www.Facebook.com/DentsAndDetails
I may be slow, but I do poor work.

pasipple
04-04-2013, 01:42 AM
I use a Karcher electric. Use no more than 1200 psi. Don't spray damaged paint or loose emblems, pretty much just common scents type stuff.

Macomb Dents & Details: Car Detailing and Paintless Dent Removal (http://www.SweatTheDetails.Time2Detail.com)
www.Facebook.com/DentsAndDetails
I may be slow, but I do poor work.

Is there a specific tip you use on your wand?

Thanks...

yakky
04-04-2013, 07:57 AM
I spray at a distance that is painful for my hand when sprayed directly on to it, but not unbearable. The important part is not too close.

The big advantage to pressure washers is they flush off the abrasives leaving only the oily road grime film. They also use much less water than a regular hose.

Bunky
04-04-2013, 11:03 AM
I use a 1400psi/2GPM pressure washer. It has plenty of power to wash a car and safer. You do not need a 3GPM/2000psi+. You are not cleaning concrete.

You use the wide spray pattern (not the stream). It will clean faster and use less water than a hose.

sweatthedetails
04-04-2013, 07:49 PM
Is there a specific tip you use on your wand?

Thanks...

It comes with 2 wands, one is variable pressure with a max of 1200 which is where i leave it. The other is a needle that spins, i only use this one for rims, tires, and floor mats. The last one i bought came with a nice car cleaning kit. I do suggest going on Amazon and buy a hose extension for it. Save having to move the pressure washer around the car. I have had a few, the K series should suit your needs and are under $100.

SON1C
04-04-2013, 08:14 PM
What you really need is a foam cannon..
http://i857.photobucket.com/albums/ab134/Elias101a/Drews%20Detailing/null_zpsa8e75dc6.jpg

Lexi65
04-04-2013, 08:56 PM
I've done searches and have looked through the "how to" videos...but can't find any specifics on pressure washing a vehicle.

Can anyone direct me to info on pressure washing? I'm a little surprised that pressure washing would be good for a vehicle but I've read on the forums that it can be less abrasive to the paint then mitts.

I'm looking for techniques, what size nozzle/tip to use, etc...

Thanks...

Sorry I can't provide the link... But if you Google this there are
Youtubes regarding car washing with pressure washers. I tried to cut/copy the link but my ipad2 wasn't cooperating.

Maybe someone can provide a link for you.

pasipple
04-04-2013, 10:20 PM
Thanks for all the responses...I got some very helpful information...now I just need to do a little more research.

I own a 5 HP 2400psi pressure washer but I could strip my Q5 in about 5 minutes with that!