PDA

View Full Version : New Problem/Annoyance I've never encountered before... thoughts?

zmcgovern45
04-03-2013, 08:09 PM
So I started machine polishing a Porsche 911 Turbo tonight and some weird things started happening...

I am doing a 1 step correction and had chosen PF2500 + White Pad as my combo.

As I am working, I am noticing the product is "caking" onto the surface in some areas, and as I reduce pressure for my final 1-2 finishing passes, there are little balls of product flying out from underneath the pad. The product is also very hard to wipe away - it's drying like concrete onto the paint.

http://i979.photobucket.com/albums/ae273/zmcgovern45/20130403-DSC_0063_zps0b959dca.jpg
^Caked product

http://i979.photobucket.com/albums/ae273/zmcgovern45/20130403-DSC_0061_zps0e5b7373.jpg
^balls of product... this is not dust, but much bigger balls of product that are flying out from beneath the pad

http://i979.photobucket.com/albums/ae273/zmcgovern45/20130403-DSC_0060_zpsdeb94601.jpg
^View from further away

This is happening when using a fresh pad, properly primed, 2 pea sized drops of product.

I've never seen this before, and I haven't changed anything in my usual routine... it is quite annoying and a PITA!

Any thoughts on what is happening and/or how I can correct it?

zmcgovern45
04-03-2013, 11:33 PM
100+ Views and 0 Comments?

Surely someone else has experienced something like this before?

AutowerxDetailing
04-04-2013, 12:01 AM
That is so odd... I've had issues with M105 gumming up really bad and sticking to the paint but I've never seen chunks of compound like that. I don't have any experience with PF2500.

Honestly I would probably try out another compound to see if it makes any difference. Other than that I have no clue! :dunno:

Detailing by M
04-04-2013, 12:13 AM
Switch to a Meg's pad.

davey g-force
04-04-2013, 12:43 AM
Paint might be dry. Could try "moisturising" first with a pure polish like M07.

Or use a product which is richer in oils?

AutoHeed
04-04-2013, 01:19 AM
Oh yes. I've experienced this before.

Very dry pad. I eventually sprayed some QD on the pad for every panel.

Vegas Transplant
04-04-2013, 01:30 AM
:goodpost:OP. You've been around the block a time or two, and your work is superb.

Did you chemically strip the paint before compound?
Were your working in the sun? I agree with the dry pad theory if so. Even when properly prepped.

edit: I've never used that particular product.

Alex22
04-04-2013, 01:31 AM
Did you decontaminate, did you shake the bottle, is the product new, old?

GenesisCoupe
04-04-2013, 06:31 AM
I had this happen on my recent detail after i was done with about 75% with the car. I finished half of my hood and look over and those things are everywhere on the other side. I cleaned the pad with a brush and put more product on since i didn't have any spare orange pads left.

zmcgovern45
04-04-2013, 07:39 AM
That is so odd... I've had issues with M105 gumming up really bad and sticking to the paint but I've never seen chunks of compound like that. I don't have any experience with PF2500.

Honestly I would probably try out another compound to see if it makes any difference. Other than that I have no clue! :dunno:
^Yeah, this is reminding me of something M105 would do, but I've never had an issue like this with a polish before.

I did switch to a fresh pad and try M205, just to see if it would make a difference, and the same thing happened. I just used M205 a few days ago and it worked as usual - easy on, easy off. So I was dumbfounded.

Switch to a Meg's pad.
^I only have LC foam pads

Paint might be dry. Could try "moisturising" first with a pure polish like M07.

Or use a product which is richer in oils?
^The paint does feel "dry" and un-moisturized. I do not have M07... any other product suggestions?

Oh yes. I've experienced this before.

Very dry pad. I eventually sprayed some QD on the pad for every panel.
^So I was using a fresh pad, properly primed, and then spritzed with CG Pad Conditioner. It did not feel particularly dry to me... maybe I will really spray the pad and get it pretty damp and have another go at it tonight.

:goodpost:OP. You've been around the block a time or two, and your work is superb.

Did you chemically strip the paint before compound?
Were your working in the sun? I agree with the dry pad theory if so. Even when properly prepped.

edit: I've never used that particular product.
^Thanks!

By chemically strip, do you mean use something like IPA? If so, I did not do this before polishing.

I was working in the garage, surface was cool to the touch, ambient temp around 45-50 degrees.

As I mentioned before, I guess the pad could be dry? Although it did not feel dry and I was spritzing it with pad conditioner.

Did you decontaminate, did you shake the bottle, is the product new, old?
^Paint was clayed, product was shaken, PF2500 was brand new bottle... I assumed it may be the product, so I switched to M205 + fresh pad and had the same issue.

I had this happen on my recent detail after i was done with about 75% with the car. I finished half of my hood and look over and those things are everywhere on the other side. I cleaned the pad with a brush and put more product on since i didn't have any spare orange pads left.
^My pads were totally clean, as this was occurring while doing my test spot (ie first few passes with these pads).

Thanks for the thoughts....

any other insight would be very helpful! This was quite annoying and is going to make this 1-step take as long as 2-step with how much time I will spend removing product!

zmcgovern45
04-04-2013, 01:40 PM
https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/30564_235076799963780_430640429_n.jpg

The product+pad combo worked well, so I'm hoping I can continue to use them... I will try to really lubricate the pad and hope for the best :/

davey g-force
04-04-2013, 03:23 PM
^The paint does feel "dry" and un-moisturized. I do not have M07... any other product suggestions?

You could try:

M81
Megs Deep Crystal System Polish (Red Bottle - Step 2)
Chemical Guys EZ Creme Glaze
Poorboys Pro Polish

SoCalE
04-04-2013, 03:53 PM
I had something similar happened to me. I was applying Meguiar's Ultimate Polish by hand and wiped it off with an MF. I noticed some residue left behind that the MF won't remove so I tried rubbing it with my finger and those little balls started forming.

zmcgovern45
04-04-2013, 05:47 PM
I just messed around with it a bit more this afternoon... I used WAY more polish to prime the pad and got it nice and wet and the issue was solved! Thanks for the input guys, I would have never thought to add more product, as I figured I was using too much and that is what was causing the balls.

I imagine that the pads were not slippery enough, causing the product to heat up significantly, which caused it to cake on the surface and to "melt" into these little balls.

All better now though!

davey g-force
04-04-2013, 08:08 PM
Glad it worked out for you.

Weird that it hasn't happened before though. I'm still thinking dry paint in this case. :)