PDA

View Full Version : Ozone ?

Pages : [1] 2

AeroCleanse
04-03-2013, 05:08 PM
How well do ozone generators work for de-stinking a car? I am thinking esp of wet dog and cars used by smokers.

chef
04-03-2013, 05:43 PM
I think the only real way to eliminate the smell is to tackle it from the source. Maybe use the Ozone Generator for follow up. I'm in for other user's experiences however.

Andr3wilson
04-03-2013, 05:47 PM
I recently heard that the ozone can eat away at rubber if exposed too long.

This leaves trim, weather stripping and anything rubber vulnerable.

Anthony@zerboautoworks
04-03-2013, 06:09 PM
First you must clean the whole interior,shampoo carpets, seats, headliner, pillars and give all surfaces a good cleaning, then put the ozone generator in there and let it do its magic.

rustytruck
04-03-2013, 06:56 PM
I bought an ozone generator this year. I did 2 cars so far, neither customer called to say the odor reappeared. I am doing one in the morning that has heavy smoke smell, we will see how that goes.

There is no natural rubber in cars anymore. Everything today is synthetic. Beside it would take huge does of ozone before damage would occur.

AutowerxDetailing
04-03-2013, 08:09 PM
I have only used an ozone machine on one car. The customer just bought the vehicle (used) and the whole interior smelled like a really weird citrus-chemically-cleaner scent.

I thought it would be a piece of cake... like leftover carpet solution from the crappy dealer detail job. NOPE. I cleaned every surface and never did figure out the source of the odor. Left the ozone machine on for 4 hours and there was still a feint remnant of the original smell. Plus the car now smelled like ozone.

2 and a half months later I get a call back from the owner. The smell was back in full force...

I re-did an entire interior detail (on the house) and then coated EVERYTHING with CarPro So2Pure. It's been 4 months now and the smell hasn't returned... I talked to the owner recently when they dropped off another vehicle and they are so happy the smell is completely gone.

Long story short: if you are offering "odor removal" as a service I recommend having a few back up plans if the Ozone, for some reason, doesn't react with and eliminate a particular smell. :props:

rustytruck
04-03-2013, 08:25 PM
The best backup plan is refund them the $50 they paid for the ozone treatment. Sometimes smells are impossible to get rid of. I know a guy who had mice pee in his mitia. The insurance company paid to have all the rugs replaced and the metal bleached by the dealer and you can still smell some funk.

Kevin Cullen
04-03-2013, 08:25 PM
Rustytruck, how much of dose do you think it would take to do any damage to the rubber and plastics. I have an ozonator and have been researching a machine called Odorox. It uses hydroxyl's to get rid of odors. Hydroxyl's are safe for humans and animals to breath. I have been in talks with an enviromental engineer on the subject of ozone. He is claiming that insurance companies are going away from ozone for hydroxyl's. I am hesatant on using the ozonator now for fear of having a vehicle come back later with damage.

Robert8194
04-03-2013, 08:30 PM
Rustytruck, how much of dose do you think it would take to do any damage to the rubber and plastics. I have an ozonator and have been researching a machine called Odorox. It uses hydroxyl's to get rid of odors. Hydroxyl's are safe for humans and animals to breath. I have been in talks with an enviromental engineer on the subject of ozone. He is claiming that insurance companies are going away from ozone for hydroxyl's. I am hesatant on using the ozonator now for fear of having a vehicle come back later with damage.

I have the Odorfree and they recommend no more than an hour for a car. I usually try 15 minutes to 30 minutes. I also don't allow it to aim directly at the dash. If possible, I will put in back and open a window a couple of inches. Only odor I have seen that it won't help is a dead animal stuck in the ventilation system. Impossible.

Kevin Cullen
04-03-2013, 08:53 PM
I have the Odorfree and they recommend no more than an hour for a car. I usually try 15 minutes to 30 minutes. I also don't allow it to aim directly at the dash. If possible, I will put in back and open a window a couple of inches. Only odor I have seen that it won't help is a dead animal stuck in the ventilation system. Impossible.

Hahaha, had to re-read this slower the second time. Somehow I got "dead _____ stuck in the trunk". :laughing:

Robert8194
04-03-2013, 09:16 PM
Hahaha, had to re-read this slower the second time. Somehow I got "dead _____ stuck in the trunk". :laughing:

That is funny. I have to read things again often.

rustytruck
04-04-2013, 06:43 AM
The directions on the machine say one 1/2 hr treatment. If odor is still there a second 1/2 hr treatment is OK. If odor is still there machine is not powerful enough. The make all different strength machines.

Kevin Cullen
04-05-2013, 06:41 AM
The directions on the machine say one 1/2 hr treatment. If odor is still there a second 1/2 hr treatment is OK. If odor is still there machine is not powerful enough. The make all different strength machines.

Thanks for the reply. It looks like the old
saying everything in moderation is still king.

bcope
04-05-2013, 07:55 AM
Any brand or model recomendactions?

Sent from my MB886 using AG Online

Yellow06GT
04-05-2013, 08:41 AM
Like Anthony said, you first have to do a great job cleaning it, then let the ozone do it's job.

Two years ago our daughter bought a car that a heavy smoker had owned but got a good deal because of the smell. The key to using ozone is to put the unit in the car and have the heater running for a half an hour. Then open up all the windows and let the wind air it out. Close all the windows and then run the unit in the car again with the air on this time. Two years later, still no sign of smoke.