PDA

View Full Version : MF pads vs PFW pads on 3401

Pages : [1] 2 3

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
04-03-2013, 04:18 PM
Wanting to step up my correction ability with my 3401 and I am currently using the LC Hybrid foam pads. I do have the thicker LC ultra mf pads but I feel they are to grabby for the 3401. Vegas911 gave me a Optimum mf cutting disc and this feels much better than the thick LC mf pad.

Has anyone used the thin ultra fiber pads on the 3401?

Also I see that LC has a 6.5 hybrid PFW pad. Anyone have any experiance with this?

Feed back please

I am using FG400 and am happy with its abilities just looking for more cut from said pads

Wes Bremec
04-03-2013, 05:01 PM
I have no answer on the note of pfw pads but. Can help you with the microfiber via 3401. This winter I did a correction on an Audi s4 that as you might know has ceramic clear. M105 with any of the hybrid pads did not correct the paintwork how I wanted it to. I purchased some fg400 and LC rotory mf pads and got good results but I struggled. These pads are just to grabby for the forced rotation of the machine. I have not tried any other mf pads but if I had to do it over again I would use fg 400 on my pc with megs cutting discs. It's not only easier on the machine but I don't have to deal with back aches.:) mf pads are not effective at high speeds and masses amount if down pressure. Patience is a must.....

Hades02
04-03-2013, 05:06 PM
Subscribed

ihaveacamaro
04-03-2013, 05:12 PM
I've read (from multiple people) that microfiber disks just don't work well on a forced rotation. They are made for the DA.

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
04-03-2013, 05:50 PM
I have no answer on the note of pfw pads but. Can help you with the microfiber via 3401. This winter I did a correction on an Audi s4 that as you might know has ceramic clear. M105 with any of the hybrid pads did not correct the paintwork how I wanted it to. I purchased some fg400 and LC rotory mf pads and got good results but I struggled. These pads are just to grabby for the forced rotation of the machine. I have not tried any other mf pads but if I had to do it over again I would use fg 400 on my pc with megs cutting discs. It's not only easier on the machine but I don't have to deal with back aches.:) mf pads are not effective at high speeds and masses amount if down pressure. Patience is a must.....

I struggled with the rotory LC mf discs on the 3401 and I dont like them. The thinner Optimum mf discs were much better than the thicker LC pads.

Maybe the hybrid PFW pads will rotate just as easily as the foam pads on the 3401?

Andr3wilson
04-03-2013, 06:05 PM
Well Mike,

IMO, MF pads and the 3401 is like prime rib with horseradish.

To me the don't go, and the horseradish ruins the prime rib, but then again some people love it (like my father!). You can do and it will taste fine, but somethings aren't meant to be.

To me the 3401 is so good on its own, MF pads almost ruin it. Wes is right when he struggled to get good results! MF + D300 on a Rupes with give you amazing results (way better than a GG6 or PC). On the other hand, Hybrid + FG400 on a Flex gives you amazing results!

Although if you want to try it, I kinda lean towards the megs pads tbh. Like I haven't tried LC or Opt, but I have used the CG ones (not sure who makes those ones) and I found the foam on the Megs pads seems to be exponentially stronger than the CG ones. The CG ones I say stay away from, the foam rips very easy when pulling the pad off the BP.

psnt1ol
04-03-2013, 06:23 PM
Wanting to step up my correction ability with my 3401 and I am currently using the LC Hybrid foam pads. I do have the thicker LC ultra mf pads but I feel they are to grabby for the 3401. Vegas911 gave me a Optimum mf cutting disc and this feels much better than the thick LC mf pad.

Has anyone used the thin ultra fiber pads on the 3401?

Also I see that LC has a 6.5 hybrid PFW pad. Anyone have any experiance with this?

Feed back please

I am using FG400 and am happy with its abilities just looking for more cut from said pads

IMO..... The action on the 3401 is much smoother with the Optimum MF. I tried the LC ultra DA pads on the 3401 and it didn't play nice at all.

I was considering the thicker LC Ultra Rotary pads but now I think otherwise.

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
04-03-2013, 06:36 PM
IMO..... The action on the 3401 is much smoother with the Optimum MF. I tried the LC ultra DA pads on the 3401 and it didn't play nice at all.

I was considering the thicker LC Ultra Rotary pads but now I think otherwise.

It was a pretty good combination with the Opt mf disc and I wouldnt mind giving it a go on a detail.

The thick LC pads are a workout for sure.

Well Mike,

IMO, MF pads and the 3401 is like prime rib with horseradish.

To me the don't go, and the horseradish ruins the prime rib, but then again some people love it (like my father!). You can do and it will taste fine, but somethings aren't meant to be.

To me the 3401 is so good on its own, MF pads almost ruin it. Wes is right when he struggled to get good results! MF + D300 on a Rupes with give you amazing results (way better than a GG6 or PC). On the other hand, Hybrid + FG400 on a Flex gives you amazing results!

Although if you want to try it, I kinda lean towards the megs pads tbh. Like I haven't tried LC or Opt, but I have used the CG ones (not sure who makes those ones) and I found the foam on the Megs pads seems to be exponentially stronger than the CG ones. The CG ones I say stay away from, the foam rips very easy when pulling the pad off the BP.

The 3401 is indeed a great setup with the hybrid foam pads for sure. But foam has its cutting limits.

Maybe the hybrid PFW pads will be the hot ticket for the 3401 for shear defect killing performance.

mbkite
04-03-2013, 06:45 PM
I am using surbuff pads on my 3401 at super slow speeds hardly any pressure and it cuts like a monster..

Andr3wilson
04-03-2013, 07:06 PM
The 3401 is indeed a great setup with the hybrid foam pads for sure. But foam has its cutting limits.

Maybe the hybrid PFW pads will be the hot ticket for the 3401 for shear defect killing performance.

For high cut I have been using a yellow high gloss flat pad. Great at one steppers. I actually saw a true hybrid pad the other day. It had black MF on an orange pad about 3/4" thick. I dont know too much about it though.

I am using surbuff pads on my 3401 at super slow speeds hardly any pressure and it cuts like a monster..

Hadn't thought about that. Is it haze free?

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
04-03-2013, 07:15 PM
For high cut I have been using a yellow high gloss flat pad. Great at one steppers. I actually saw a true hybrid pad the other day. It had black MF on an orange pad about 3/4" thick. I dont know too much about it though.

I have been using the orange 5 inch hybrid cutting pad and it is great but I want even more power if needed.

Have been thinking about the 6 inch hybrid wool pad for tremendous cut.

Lake Country Hybrid Power Finish Ultra Performance Pad System, buffing pads, foam pads, polishing pads (http://www.autogeek.net/hybrid-power-finish-pads.html)

psnt1ol
04-03-2013, 07:43 PM
I have been using the orange 5 inch hybrid cutting pad and it is great but I want even more power if needed.

Have been thinking about the 6 inch hybrid wool pad for tremendous cut.

Lake Country Hybrid Power Finish Ultra Performance Pad System, buffing pads, foam pads, polishing pads (http://www.autogeek.net/hybrid-power-finish-pads.html)

I've been looking for the same.

I got some LC 5" purple foam wool pads coming next week. I will see if this would get me that extra bite.

Flatlander
04-03-2013, 08:11 PM
Ok, I have tried just about EVERY mf pad available on my 3401. All were a no-go. I tried every technique and trick to get a good finish with a mf pad and simply couldn't do it. Every combo of compound and mf pad produced micro-marring and not NEAR the finish of a foam pad. My conclusion was/is NO mf pads with the 3401. From now on, it's just foam for me.

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
04-03-2013, 08:22 PM
I've been looking for the same.

I got some LC 5" purple foam wool pads coming next week. I will see if this would get me that extra bite.

Please keep me updated by your findings.

Ok, I have tried just about EVERY mf pad available on my 3401. All were a no-go. I tried every technique and trick to get a good finish with a mf pad and simply couldn't do it. Every combo of compound and mf pad produced micro-marring and not NEAR the finish of a foam pad. My conclusion was/is NO mf pads with the 3401. From now on, it's just foam for me.

Thank you for the valuable information. I wasnt sure about a mf disc on a 3401.

Have you tried a PFW pad on the Flex?

psnt1ol
04-03-2013, 10:15 PM

I tend to agree that foam finish down better than MF but MF seems to cut faster. Very seldom I am able to finish down with MF...I always switch to foam to finish.

For example:

I went from this...

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-wwkC60qNr9o/UVaVE53oPHI/AAAAAAAAAT8/XFoG0RNFC04/s720/Before_Trunk%2520Swirls.JPG

to this.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-kLFy_S7Ohf0/UVdNguEzhmI/AAAAAAAAAUg/IWcg_i0eknI/s720/After_Trunk%25202.JPG

with D300 with Optimum MF follow by SF4000 with LC foam (white) pad on the Flex 3401.

If I am looking to do a one-step correction on a light color paint then it is foam all the way.

I think Smack is asking if there are any pads that are even more aggressive without going to a rotary/wool combination. I am also seeking the same answer as well.

P.S.
I totally forgot about Surbuf. I haven't used them at all since I made the switch to the 3401. I will try it on the Flex and report back next time.