PDA

View Full Version : Sealing or protecting engine on brand new car?

eyost
04-02-2013, 08:47 PM
Hi all,

We just got a brand new car last Friday and am looking for suggestions and recommendations on sealing or protecting the engine on a brand new car.

Any suggestions or recommendations?

Thanks,

Ed

SR99
04-02-2013, 09:06 PM
Not really any need for any special sealant or protectant. Just keep it regularly clean and it can look like this after 12 years:

http://i1295.photobucket.com/albums/b626/ay7bbx/8x6p2250005_zps7743b2aa.jpg

If you want a little shine (as in the photo), Meguiars HyperDressing works well. I mostly just use car wash soap to clean it (with a long bristle brush), or spot treat greasy areas with a small brush and APC as diluted as you can get it and still clean effectively.

Of course, new cars are mostly plastic covers over everything, so it's more work to remove those and regularly clean it.

Marc Hufnagel
04-02-2013, 11:24 PM
Any suggestions for the best OTC product? The Hyperdressing sounds nice but a gallon of it, well that's a lot to see if I like it or not though...

psynx
04-02-2013, 11:30 PM
Megs otc low shine with Scotch guard is basically hyper dressing just watered down allot lol and they have a higher gloss version there each about 9.99
Hyper dressing is awesome cause you can dilute it to your preference shine 1to1
2to1 3to1
4to1 a gallin will last you a ling time

Sent from my SCH-I605 using AG Online

cardaddy
04-02-2013, 11:32 PM
I agree. The biggest thing is just keep it clean, hit it at the carwash from time to time. My Dad was one of the worlds worst at keeping engines clean. Of course he was born in 1913 and they just didn't clean engines back then. Hell they didn't even HAVE engines till he was in his teens in 1929 when he went to live with his uncle in Atlanta. ;)

He was great about keeping a car washed, and loved to hand wax them. Kept the insides clean too. But he was horrified of wetting the engine compartment and the car not starting afterwards, so.... he would just NEVER clean an engine.

As he got older I would keep them clean for him (especially as I had rollbacks to tow them should they not start). :laughing:

Bottom line is keep it clean and put a little of your favorite water based shine on it from time to time and you should be fine.

eyost
04-04-2013, 09:34 PM
Not really any need for any special sealant or protectant. Just keep it regularly clean and it can look like this after 12 years:

http://i1295.photobucket.com/albums/b626/ay7bbx/8x6p2250005_zps7743b2aa.jpg

If you want a little shine (as in the photo), Meguiars HyperDressing works well. I mostly just use car wash soap to clean it (with a long bristle brush), or spot treat greasy areas with a small brush and APC as diluted as you can get it and still clean effectively.

Of course, new cars are mostly plastic covers over everything, so it's more work to remove those and regularly clean it.

Good point. The Honda seems to cover a lot of their parts with plastic, so I'll just periodically wipe down the engine area with some old cloths. Do you think a plastic and rubber cleaner would be o.k.; similar to what is used inside the car?

Thanks,

Ed

CM8 6MT
04-04-2013, 10:01 PM
Good point. The Honda seems to cover a lot of their parts with plastic, so I'll just periodically wipe down the engine area with some old cloths. Do you think a plastic and rubber cleaner would be o.k.; similar to what is used inside the car?

Thanks,

Ed

Plastic is plastic, yeah you can use interior cleaners for the engine trim. I use Mothers VLR to quickly clean my interior & engine bay as well. Its safe on Vynil, Leather & Rubber.

What kind of Honda do you have? The engines that Honda really likes to cover up & look "nice" are the J series (v6) engines.

primo spaghetti
04-05-2013, 05:25 AM
sonus trim and motorkote

PA DETAILER
04-05-2013, 05:41 AM

MEGS HYPER DRESSING 4:1

i have used them all. CD2 ENGING DETAILER is still a cult favorite. but the megs just works each and every time. SOWA. :xyxthumbs:

and.......makes the perfect wheel well dressing! again no mess. SOWA.

eyost
04-06-2013, 09:57 PM
Plastic is plastic, yeah you can use interior cleaners for the engine trim. I use Mothers VLR to quickly clean my interior & engine bay as well. Its safe on Vynil, Leather & Rubber.

What kind of Honda do you have? The engines that Honda really likes to cover up & look "nice" are the J series (v6) engines.

I have a 2012 Honda CRV, while my wife just gotta 2013 Accord 4 cylinder. I haven't taken a look at the accord's engine yet, but I would imagine it is typical Honda in that everything is nice and tidy.

SR99
04-06-2013, 10:30 PM
You might also consider Meguiars #40 vinyl & rubber cleaner/conditioner, which is pretty reasonably priced compared to some and performs well, interior and exterior.

Meguiars #40<br>Vinyl & Rubber Cleaner/Conditioner protects rubber, plastic & vinyl interior surfaces. Meguiars # 40 Vinyl & Rubber Cleaner and (http://www.autogeek.net/meg40vinrubc.html)

Andr3wilson
04-06-2013, 10:42 PM
Again regular cleaning is the best way!

I really like 303. It's been around forever, but it dries non greasy and it coats evenly. I spray it on when its wet and let it dry, no wiping. Works great!

I recently tried PERL and didn't like how it coated unevenly. Take 2-3 coats to get even coverage.

Few other great ones out there!

Here is 303