PDA

View Full Version : Citric Acid for cleaning

Pages : [1] 2

WashMe
04-02-2013, 06:11 AM
Does any one have a recipe for using citric acid on paint and rims? One of the larger detailers in my area uses this and said it works well.

Thanks!

BobbyG
04-02-2013, 06:22 AM
:welcome: To Autogeek Online! :props:

I've personally never tried it but I'm curious to hear more about it.......:props:

Setec Astronomy
04-02-2013, 06:31 AM
Meg's used to have a citric acid-based wheel cleaner, I think it was the Gold Class. They don't seem to have a way to view MSDS at their site anymore, so I can't check it.

BillE
04-02-2013, 08:06 AM
Meg's used to have a citric acid-based wheel cleaner, I think it was the Gold Class. They don't seem to have a way to view MSDS at their site anymore, so I can't check it.

You are correct...looks to be, 1-5% citric acid.

I found the MSDS sheets by going to "Professional Products" and found it along the lower left side of the page, listed by SKU.

Bill

vet
04-02-2013, 08:07 AM
Welcome!

I haven't used citric either, but it sounds interesting.

RTexasF
04-02-2013, 08:15 AM
Poorboy's Spray & Rinse wheel cleaner is citric acid. I've used it for years and have only praise for it. I used it only on wheels, tires, and fender wells, not painted surfaces.

Setec Astronomy
04-02-2013, 08:20 AM
Poorboy's Spray & Rinse wheel cleaner is citric acid. I've used it for years and have only praise for it. I used it only on wheels, tires, and fender wells, not painted surfaces.

Yikes, I don't think that's right, I remember S&R being ABF (ammonium bifluoride) which is basically HF (hydrofluoric acid).

You are correct...looks to be, 1-5% citric acid.

Ok...just remember citric acid doesn't do nearly the job on brake dust as other acids.

BobbyG
04-02-2013, 08:23 AM

I actually like PoorBoy's World Wheel Cleaner a lot! It's one of the only products that can be applied and rinsed without scrubbing that works as it's described....:props:

I'm wondering how straight citric acid would compare to it.

These natural juices contain citric acid but if used to clean wheels would more than likely leave a sticky mess....

Orange Juice
Grapefruit Juice
Lemon Juice
Lime Juice

Setec Astronomy
04-02-2013, 08:28 AM
I actually like PoorBoy's World Wheel Cleaner a lot! It's one of the only products that can be applied and rinsed without scrubbing that works as it's described....:props:

I'm wondering how straight citric acid would compare to it.

I'm sure straight citric acid won't compare at all--because I believe the reason that S&R works so well without scrubbing--is because it's an ABF wheel cleaner.

I think comparing S&R to orange juice is a bad idea and is possibly going to cause people to not take the appropriate safety precautions with an ABF-based cleaner.

FUNX650
04-02-2013, 08:32 AM
Edit.

BobbyG
04-02-2013, 08:33 AM
I'm sure straight citric acid won't compare at all--because I believe the reason that S&R works so well without scrubbing--is because it's an ABF wheel cleaner.

I think comparing S&R to orange juice is a bad idea and is possibly going to cause people to not take the appropriate safety precautions with an ABF-based cleaner.

I agree, no one should assume that any cleaner is as safe as a readily available fruit juices...

What is ABF based wheel cleaner?

57BORNTORUN
04-02-2013, 08:34 AM
Citric acid is an excellent chelating agent.

FUNX650
04-02-2013, 08:36 AM
I agree, no one should assume that any cleaner is as safe as a readily available fruit juices...

What is ABF based wheel cleaner?

Ammonium bi-fluoride.

:)

Bob

BobbyG
04-02-2013, 08:37 AM
Thank you Bob!! :props:

FUNX650
04-02-2013, 08:37 AM
:welcome:...to AGO!!

I wonder if that detailer in your area is talking about products that contain: D-limonene...
...(a major component of the oil extracted from citrus rind)...
that's used as a solvent in many cleaning products.

When this solvent is combined with a surfactant package,
the concentrations [recipe (?)] of d-Limonene are usually ~5-15%.

:)

Bob