PDA

View Full Version : Protecting ventureshield on a long road trip... Wolf's The Mask???

BluHeaven
04-01-2013, 06:01 PM
Got a 2 week road trip coming up in May and want to protect my newly installed ventureshield PPF from bug damage. I've already gotten one small bug stain where I didn't get it cleaned off fast enough (couple hours?) So I can imagine the damage done with 2 weeks of driving through Utah/Arizona/NM and Colorado! We'll be in out of the way places so probably no spray washes or hoses available. Usually if I collect a bug or two I take it off with ONR (I have a bug kit in the car... spray bottle of distilled water, one of ONR mix and some MF towels). But That's not going to cut it during an interstate road trip in the late spring!

Other than coating the front end with painter's tape, is there any other thing I can do?

I did find this spray on 'bra' from Wolf's Chemicals called 'the mask'. Supposedly sprays on, dries hard and washes off with water. Has anyone tried this? Would it be PPF safe?

FUNX650
04-01-2013, 06:35 PM
OH NOOOO!!
Now we have to protect the paint-protection-film?!?!

http://images.mirror.co.uk/upl/m4/nov2008/5/3/92ACAD61-C990-638A-AD90DD36016599EE.jpg
[Picture courtesy of: derek0609]

-Never tried any of that Wolf stuff on PPF.
-You can always get some transit-film to cover it up.
-Or Saran Wrap

I suggest the next time: Get XPel's Ultimate PPF.

Irregardless...Have a safe and enjoyable expedition.

:)

Bob

Wheelzntoys
04-01-2013, 06:52 PM
Griot's Garage Bug Barricade!, Griots Garage Bug Remover, Insect blocker, bug shield, bug blocker (http://www.autogeek.net/griots-garage-bug-off.html)

VroomVroom
04-01-2013, 07:16 PM
I have to admit....the first thought that came to mind was bumper guards for our bumper guards. :)

I'm surprised to hear of the issue you encountered. My wife has had that same film on her car for six years, and I haven't had any bug gut issues. (I have polished the film three times, using M205/white LC, but washing bugs off after a road trip hasn't presented any problems.)

FWIW, on a recommendation from another forum, I did see some success from trying this, on my last trip from NorCal to Southern Arizona: as close as possible to hitting the road, I applied a coat of Four Star UPP, but didn't remove it. The morning after I arrived, I used Optimum NRWS and removed the sealant along with the bugs. There were a few sticky spots, but the film was in great shape, and the process was certainly easier than the old way of doing things.

mets2010
04-01-2013, 07:24 PM
it works well, they say it might degrade and LSP a tad but nothing major, just make sure you spray it liberally and dont touch it till you can see it anymore

BluHeaven
04-01-2013, 07:39 PM
Whoa... I didn't know they still made that stuff? I'd tried their original Bug OFf stuff at one point and didn't like the way it just kind of beaded up.

Griot's Garage Bug Barricade!, Griots Garage Bug Remover, Insect blocker, bug shield, bug blocker (http://www.autogeek.net/griots-garage-bug-off.html)

This was easier when I had the 10 year old 3M film on it... you know the stuff that's got that hazy nickle sized orange peel look, but you could polish the crap out of it and it always looks at least as good as it did when first installed? This is my first experience with one of the newer PPFs. The night after I got the car back from the install I was poking around online and found scary threads where people's venture shield was basically destroyed because they didn't wash bugs off right away. Granted those threads were old so perhaps it's been improved since then?

Perhaps I'll layer the crap out of stuff... Maybe multiple power lock layers coated with colly 845 layers then try the mask or the griots bug stuff on top.

Sunstealer
04-01-2013, 08:53 PM
I have Ventureshield on two cars. They sometimes go weeks without washing. As mentioned above, I just use a light polish for anything that won't come off. Also, one has Opticoat and one has CQuartz on it.

rmagnus
04-01-2013, 08:59 PM
Got a 2 week road trip coming up in May and want to protect my newly installed ventureshield PPF from bug damage. I've already gotten one small bug stain where I didn't get it cleaned off fast enough (couple hours?) So I can imagine the damage done with 2 weeks of driving through Utah/Arizona/NM and Colorado! We'll be in out of the way places so probably no spray washes or hoses available. Usually if I collect a bug or two I take it off with ONR (I have a bug kit in the car... spray bottle of distilled water, one of ONR mix and some MF towels). But That's not going to cut it during an interstate road trip in the late spring!

Other than coating the front end with painter's tape, is there any other thing I can do?

I did find this spray on 'bra' from Wolf's Chemicals called 'the mask'. Supposedly sprays on, dries hard and washes off with water. Has anyone tried this? Would it be PPF safe?

Consider a rental car? Less milage wear and tear in the long run about the same cost. I've done a lot of desert driving sand storms are worse than bug stains!

BluHeaven
04-01-2013, 09:36 PM
Ahhh... no. :) It's an Audi event... one week of pure driving pleasure on twisty back roads, and I just fully rebuilt my suspension and got new summer tires Im the MAN

Consider a rental car? Less milage wear and tear in the long run about the same cost. I've done a lot of desert driving sand storms are worse than bug stains!

Marc Hufnagel
04-01-2013, 10:34 PM

When I had the clear bra installed , my installer said 'yes the ventureshield is thinner and is almost undetectable, but if you don't clean on stains, especially certain types of bugs you will get stains and etching'. He further said 'the scotchguard is also vulnerable, but it is much thicker and the timeframe for cleaning is in days, not hours'. I went with his advice after being shown a car one of his employees drives with ventureshield.

I've also seen the thin plastic wrap on rolls that some have used as well across the front.

I can see mine, but I completely understand why you would want

VroomVroom
04-02-2013, 10:03 AM
Mmmm Audi event. Have a blast!

Not sure if this would help with peace of mind, but I have been known to travel with a stack of MF towels and my favorite QD (Poorboys S&W...the detailing elixer of the gods), for use while refueling.

BluHeaven
04-02-2013, 06:36 PM
If it does manage to get bug stains in the PPF... what's the best way to remove/clean them? or are you pretty much screwed then?

rmagnus
04-02-2013, 07:31 PM
I would carry a waterless wash vs QD and mf towels. IMO much safer alternative to cleaning plus it leaves some wax protection behind with most wasterless wash products.

I wouldn't over think it too much it's supose to be a fun event.

BluHeaven
04-18-2013, 11:25 AM
Well... partially solved the issue. Something hit the front of the car and lifted a section of the main bumper piece. Having it redone next week. My shop just started offering Xpel Ultimate self healing a few days ago though, so we're going to replace the bumper piece with that instead of with VS. Much more resistant to staining, self healing from scratches, and can be treated just like paint.