PDA

View Full Version : swirls? Can you totally avoid them?

Pages : [1] 2

jgibson2980
04-01-2013, 02:50 PM
The question is can you totally avoid surface swirl induced from hand washing or just reduce them ? I use the foam gun pre soak, Two bucket wash method with lambs wool mitts, and guzzler micro fiber drying towels. But I still notice light surface swirls . So can you completely avoid these or do you just have to live with them ? I know the only real way is to not touch the car at all but that is impossible . Unless i was a mutant with powers that could look at something and make it clean lol.

cartman57
04-01-2013, 02:56 PM
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/24953-help-drying-technique.html

You can never avoid them but greatly reduce the potential.

yakky
04-01-2013, 03:08 PM
Ditch the foam gun and get a pressure washer. It will knock of 99% of the abrasives that cause swirls. You'll be amazed at how carelessly you can wash your car once the abrasives are gone.

jgibson2980
04-01-2013, 03:12 PM
O I do have a pw . I use a foam cannon . i rinse first and the presoak.

zmcgovern45
04-01-2013, 03:18 PM
If you touch the car, sorry to say, but you risk the potential of inducing some swirls... even if they are so minor that you can only see them at a particular angle at a particular time of day and you have to squint your eyes to catch it... it just happens over time.

NickZ28
04-01-2013, 03:34 PM
If you touch the car, sorry to say, but you risk the potential of inducing some swirls... even if they are so minor that you can only see them at a particular angle at a particular time of day and you have to squint your eyes to catch it... it just happens over time.

:iagree:...Unless your car is a "Garage Queen" that rarely gets touched, chances are, over time, some marring will be introduced during your wash. As all others have suggested, be careful, take your time and power off as much as possible before using your wash mitt.

Johny B
04-01-2013, 03:58 PM
Ditch the foam gun and get a pressure washer. It will knock of 99% of the abrasives that cause swirls. You'll be amazed at how carelessly you can wash your car once the abrasives are gone.
:iagree:

silverfox
04-01-2013, 04:16 PM

Couldn't agree more...

jgibson2980
04-01-2013, 04:28 PM
I do have a pressure washer . I do a pressure wash rinse then I presoak with honey dew soap . Then two bucket wash and then pw rinse and sheet method . Then guzzler mf drying towel .

Sent from my SPH-L710 using AG Online

FUNX650
04-01-2013, 05:49 PM
Mr. Perfect (of course!) always performed:
"The Perfect Car Washing and Drying Sessions".

However...
As soon as his vehicles were driven...
They were immediately bombarded with
contaminates, from every imaginable source...
that instilled swirls, marring, blemishes, etc.

IMHO...If you, OP, use the best methods, products, practices...
You'll see improvements as time goes on.

NOTE:
As I neglected to do when I was younger...
I now keep the fact that time does go on...
Fleetingly so, I'll add.

And...afterall:
No one can ever be another: Mr. Perfect

http://www.konsolekingz.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/Mr.-Perfect.jpg

:)

Bob

VroomVroom
04-01-2013, 06:47 PM
Too funny!

To add to the proper washing school of thought: proper drying. Use a sheet rinse. Your back will thank you just as much as your paint.

At that....avoiding entirely? Not possible.

yakky
04-01-2013, 06:57 PM
I do have a pressure washer . I do a pressure wash rinse then I presoak with honey dew soap . Then two bucket wash and then pw rinse and sheet method . Then guzzler mf drying towel .

If you do all that and are still getting swirls, something is wrong. You'll get the occasional one here and there from life events, but you shouldn't have any wash induced marring (unless you have stupid soft paint).

rmagnus
04-01-2013, 07:24 PM
The question is can you totally avoid surface swirl induced from hand washing or just reduce them ? I use the foam gun pre soak, Two bucket wash method with lambs wool mitts, and guzzler micro fiber drying towels. But I still notice light surface swirls . So can you completely avoid these or do you just have to live with them ? I know the only real way is to not touch the car at all but that is impossible . Unless i was a mutant with powers that could look at something and make it clean lol.

Daily driver my answer will be reduce hem. Like others have said proper techniques will really help. The hardness of your paint and color is a big factor. My guess would be in your case soft CC and black paint! (A never ending battle, you'd be betteer off with those "mutant powers").

jgibson2980
04-01-2013, 08:18 PM
The vehicle is a 2012 Dodge Durango RT matalic black in color . Its about time for a wax . The swirls are lil and only visible at certain light and angles . I wash and dry the car of with no pressure but my on hand weight and in up and down motion in the direction that the wind moves over the vehicle .

Sent from my SPH-L710 using AG Online

skunkworx Frank
04-01-2013, 08:29 PM
look at these holograms somebody actually paid $140.00 for
and now im correcting it
:buffing:1677016771:Picture:

skunkworxperformance (http://www.skunkworxperformance.com/)