PDA

View Full Version : About to buy - need help

fdesalvo
04-01-2013, 12:58 PM
Hi, all!

I have found waters spots and light swirling beneath my LSP. Long story short, but until recently, I had no access to a covered space with adequate lighting for my detailing. I'm about to pull the trigger on a DA for light corrective work and wanted to know a few opinions on correcting my issues.

Which DA do I want? Considering the Rupes LHR15.
Will WG TSW 3.0 work for both issues?
Which pad(s) do you recommend for this app- orange?

Any thoughts? I'm at novice level with respect to DA work. I've been a hand guy since the beginning (got me through high school waka waka!) and do not want to risk burning through my clear as a result of using the wrong products.

TIA

jvs1991
04-01-2013, 02:39 PM
If you want to locally you can pick up either Megs 205 or Ultimate polish. That should do the trick.

If you have the money for the Rupes id say pull the trigger on it. It's really a great tool to have and if you ever do friends or families cars you can correct them quicker and also make back your money on the cost of the tool.

I have both the Megs and griots da and they're both great tools but the rupes just feels smoother and I felt less fatigued from holding it during paint correction. However you can still achieve the same results with either of the aforementioned da polishers.

thebamboo23
04-01-2013, 03:27 PM
mehh. the rupes in an outstanding product, but for the task at hand, just go to your local autoparts store. buy some mf applicator pads, and Megs ultimate polish whatever they have there and give that a try

if that doesnt work, i say get a GG6

fdesalvo
04-01-2013, 03:28 PM
Cool - will rock the Rupes then. Which type of pad do you recommend for those two polishes? Reckon my car has med/soft paint fromt he looks of things haha. I keep being drawn to the LC Orange or White pads.

jvs1991
04-01-2013, 03:30 PM
You can use any pad with the 205 to vary cut and finish. For UP probably a black LC pad.

fdesalvo
04-01-2013, 03:41 PM
Thanks, JVS & Bamboo.

jvs1991
04-01-2013, 04:24 PM
You can use any pad with the 205 to vary cut and finish. For UP probably a black LC pad.

jvs1991
04-01-2013, 04:49 PM
You should get the 21mm version of the rupes. Yes it's more money but you get the added capability of having the use of larger pads and buying the smaller plate to use with smaller pads.

sasson
04-01-2013, 05:01 PM
You should get the 21mm version of the rupes. Yes it's more money but you get the added capability of having the use of larger pads and buying the smaller plate to use with smaller pads.

it's only 50 Bucks more!
Buy the 21mm!
it's better, For sure! I think everyone here will tell you the same.
:iagree:

JSou
04-01-2013, 06:25 PM
21 and buy the backing plate if you decide to use 5.5 pads. The 21 turned my 6.5 pads no problem.

fdesalvo
04-01-2013, 06:27 PM
Gah I ended up getting the GG6 with some SF4500 (P085rd and all the other designations) and some black LC pads. I usually adhere to the "buy it once and be done" approach, but the GG seems like such a good piece of equipment.

jvs1991
04-01-2013, 06:52 PM
Gah I ended up getting the GG6 with some SF4500 (P085rd and all the other designations) and some black LC pads. I usually adhere to the "buy it once and be done" approach, but the GG seems like such a good piece of equipment.

Did you get the 3rd gen? I have the 2nd it's really good. Has nice power and is well built. Also can't go wrong with a lifetime warranty. Enjoy!

rmagnus
04-01-2013, 07:32 PM

Good move. You can always upgrade polishers but the GG is always good to have in the stable. The's never a "done approach" always something else to get. Starting with some polishing pads (ie:LC CCS white), mf's, a cleaning brush, wax, tire dressing because a detailed car doesn't look right with undressed tires. See what I mean?

Again the GG was a good move for just starting out. Plenty of power. If not there's always the mf polishing system designed for DA's.

fdesalvo
04-01-2013, 07:39 PM
Did you get the 3rd gen? I have the 2nd it's really good. Has nice power and is well built. Also can't go wrong with a lifetime warranty. Enjoy!

Yah it's a 3rd gen. Thanks man!

Good move. You can always upgrade polishers but the GG is always good to have in the stable. The's never a "done approach" always something else to get. Starting with some polishing pads (ie:LC CCS white), mf's, a cleaning brush, wax, tire dressing because a detailed car doesn't look right with undressed tires. See what I mean?

Again the GG was a good move for just starting out. Plenty of power. If not there's always the mf polishing system designed for DA's.

Notes taken. Thanks for serving, brother.

JSou
04-01-2013, 08:17 PM
Nothing wrong with the GG6 I have two! Congrats on the purchase. Hope to see your write ups soon.