PDA

View Full Version : Ultimate compound

motors
04-01-2013, 07:55 AM
I've been using swirl x with a da polisher to remove most of my swirls but there are some areas that have some deeper scratches where it looks like I need to go for a more of an abrasive compound. I would like to try Ultimate compound for those areas but do I need to follow up that with swirl x since I'm not sure if UC leaves swirls or halos after use? This is a classic car so I want to becareful on not going to aggressive. I be already try using a more aggressive pad LC orange on the areas with swirls x but still not getting it out. Any advise

Mike Phillips
04-01-2013, 08:26 AM
I've been using swirl x with a da polisher to remove most of my swirls but there are some areas that have some deeper scratches where it looks like I need to go for a more of an abrasive compound. I would like to try Ultimate compound for those areas but do I need to follow up that with swirl x since I'm not sure if UC leaves swirls or halos after use?

This is a classic car so I want to becareful on not going to aggressive. I be already try using a more aggressive pad LC orange on the areas with swirls x but still not getting it out.

Any advise

It's a good idea to follow-up an aggressive PAD and compound with a less aggressive pad and polish if you're goal is the nicest looking finish possible.

Keep in mind, UC finishes down really nice but if you're using an aggressive pad the pad can leave marring. Just depends upon the paint and you're technique.

If you want to make your process "Bubba-Proof", then plan on polishing after compounding. This is how it's been done historically since cars were introduced and we finally got around to "polishing" the paint on them.

:)

motors
04-02-2013, 08:09 AM
Great thanks. Is it necessary to follow up with swirl x and Ultimate Polish after using UC or going directly to Ultimate Polish good enough to remove any halos UC may have caused?

Dave Medvic
04-02-2013, 09:02 AM
Great thanks. Is it necessary to follow up with swirl x and Ultimate Polish after using UC or going directly to Ultimate Polish good enough to remove any halos UC may have caused?

You can eyeball it after you use the UC and see what you think, go straight to the polish if you see some areas that can look better. Ultimate Compund finishes nice on it's own, it's a really great product.