PDA

View Full Version : I should have turned this down

Mike lambert
03-31-2013, 06:01 PM
This is a perfect example of when you need to walk away,but cannot.
This is a 50/50 of a 2000 Lexus hood that has spent the entire time under trees.

M100 on micro cutting pad,d300 on micro cutting pad,polished with rupes fine gell on yellow rupes pad,finished with 4 star sealant. I told the client I would do what I could,because he wants his 911 done with c quartz finest.

Severe etching of clear,by the way,m100 on wool pad and flex rotary made no difference.

http://i1283.photobucket.com/albums/a555/theshineshop/22dc0c49dfee161b4145065e209c536c_zpsea20724f.jpg

DetailedByPrecision
03-31-2013, 06:50 PM
that paint condition is beyond trashed... Interested in how you will explain the situation to the customer.

817detailer
03-31-2013, 07:20 PM
that paint condition is beyond trashed... Interested in how you will explain the situation to the customer.

:iagree:

I would ust explain to your customer all the steps you took and how it still looked the same and how his only option is to get the car repainted.

Mike lambert
03-31-2013, 07:38 PM
We explained it just needed a repaint, he said just make it shine? I told him it would look good in the rain,lol

VroomVroom
04-01-2013, 10:15 AM
Just oof. That's the worst 50/50 ever. :) :)

Every now and then, huh? I still recall a '98 Camry with some of the most impressive clear coat failure I'd ever seen. "Just do what you can." Umm...ok. Here's your keys back.

Mike Phillips
04-01-2013, 10:43 AM
Mike's right, sometimes it can be hard to turn down a job for a host of different reasons. I actually mention this in one of the passages I made for Renny's how to start a detailing business book.

It's like the old Kenny Rodger's song...

"You have to know when to hold em, know when to fold, know when to walk away"

Or as I like to say,

"Let someone else have the blessing"

Good luck with the Porsche Mike...

:)

Derrick
04-01-2013, 01:51 PM
You have to know when to hold them, know when to fold them, know when to walk away, and in the famous word of Bubba, know when to, "Run Forest! Run!".

All jobs should have a test spot completed BEFORE taking the job, because you do not want to be associated with producing an unsightly finish.

A good name is very important. Protect it at all cost.

Derrick

Mike lambert
04-01-2013, 02:05 PM
I have now found the rest of the story. The wife said he could not spend the money for the Porsche until her Lexus was cleaned! He knew from the beginning the car needed paint,so he was happy and that's what counts.

Derrick
04-01-2013, 02:10 PM
I have now found the rest of the story. The wife said he could not spend the money for the Porsche until her Lexus was cleaned! He knew from the beginning the car needed paint,so he was happy and that's what counts.

You gave it your best effort. Congrats on the soon to be Porsche detail.

Derrick

dcgocd
04-01-2013, 03:47 PM
Once the sap is left on there long enough to reach the base coat,your done.

BorisC
04-01-2013, 04:06 PM

Was the wife happy? That's what really counts. :cool: