PDA

View Full Version : Question: Chrome/faux-chrome?

jdmj0
03-31-2013, 03:10 PM
Two questions:

1) How can you tell if a trim piece is plastic-chrome or real metal-chrome? I mean is there a real method other than tapping it to see what noise it makes? Haha

2) For plastic-chrome, when it's scuffed up, how do you clean it? Regular polish?

Thanks in advance :)

WRXINXS
03-31-2013, 03:18 PM
Subscribed. My Mom just bought a car that I am pretty sure has plastic chrome and have no idea how to maintain/clean/polish it.

FUNX650
03-31-2013, 04:10 PM
Two questions:

1) How can you tell if a trim piece is plastic-chrome or real metal-chrome?
I mean is there a real method other than tapping it to see what noise it makes? Haha

2) For plastic-chrome, when it's scuffed up, how do you clean it? Regular polish?

Thanks in advance :)

1) Magnet
2) How scuffed-up...Can you see the substrate?

NOTE:
I suggest to never use anything abrasive on "chrome-plated" plastic.
Car-wash shampoo to clean...Non-abrasive wax/sealant/Coating to protect.

PS:
Enter: "fake chrome"...into the forum's Search-Function
for further information, if you would so desire.

:)

Bob

Evan.J
03-31-2013, 04:29 PM
I have used chrome cleaner and light rubbing or a paint cleaner on the plactic chrome and never had issues.

Infiniti
03-31-2013, 04:41 PM
Never-Dull was recommended on here once for that and I didn't like it. It does do a great job on my chrome exhaust tip though. I haven't tried it but the only other thing which I will be trying next is Flitz Metal Polish which can be used on anodized aluminum.
Flitz Metal Polish, Fiberglass & Paint Restorer will clean, polish, and protect any non-porous surface safely. Flitz Metal Polish, Fiberglass & Paint (http://www.autogeek.net/flitz-paint-restorer.html)

jdmj0
04-01-2013, 03:35 AM
1) Magnet
2) How scuffed-up...Can you see the substrate?

Thank you sir. I don't know why I didn't even think of using a magnet haha. And scuffed meaning scratches and what not.

Never-Dull was recommended on here once for that and I didn't like it. It does do a great job on my chrome exhaust tip though. I haven't tried it but the only other thing which I will be trying next is Flitz Metal Polish which can be used on anodized aluminum.
Flitz Metal Polish, Fiberglass & Paint Restorer will clean, polish, and protect any non-porous surface safely. Flitz Metal Polish, Fiberglass & Paint (http://www.autogeek.net/flitz-paint-restorer.html)

Flitz is GREAT. I've used it for some mag wheels and it's shiny like mirror.

BillE
04-01-2013, 07:50 AM
Just remember the 'chrome coating' is ridiculously THIN!

Any product that has ammonia in it CAN loosen the coating.

Bill