PDA

View Full Version : Type of Paint on Cars

JBs
05-16-2007, 06:56 PM
does anyone know if there is a list of the type of paint that come on cars and if one should change they way the work on cars due to it's finish?

like, do you work the same on a lexus as a bently? (2 different paint types)

klumzypinoy
05-17-2007, 04:19 AM
I believe it depends on the hardness of the paint, and if it's clear coated or not. No clear coat, u will have paint on ur pads :p so with that I guess you're gonna have to have a bunch of pads.. Harder paint will need a different approach. Hopefully the experienced will respond!

k20z3kid
05-17-2007, 10:08 AM
lol i know with a honda you could probably buff scratches off by rubbing your finger on the scratch. clear coats on hondas are ridiculously soft.

KJW Detailing
05-17-2007, 10:41 AM
lol i know with a honda you could probably buff scratches off by rubbing your finger on the scratch. clear coats on hondas are ridiculously soft.

haha...yea i'll second that!

JB's i work for a lexus dealership, i know that lexus paint is fairly hard...(most) but not me run the buffers (Dewalt) up over 2000rpm's...i know better b/c of this site...

Anyway, as a whole, the lexus paint is pretty tough and it can take a beating without many ill effects...the only thing to look out for is the black cars (i was told by several people that black lexus' dont have a clear coat) idk if its true or not but just passing that info along...

hope this helps!

sparkie
05-17-2007, 11:02 AM
Jeep paints is hard as nails. Nissan, Toyota, Honda are softer.
roadrunner1659 Lexus paint is fairly hard? Really, I've never done a Lexus before. I fine Toyota on the soft side, Lexus is a high end Toyota. I wonder way they have different paints?

KJW Detailing
05-17-2007, 12:07 PM
i find it to be on the hard side...i mean i learned how to buff with a rotary on those cars and b4 coming here, i was taught wrong...i was taught to buff with speed above 2000rpms on the rotary...when i came here i learned otherwise...i never had nor seen anyone burn any paint even at the high rpms in which i learned on...

honestly, the paint is soft in regards to when people come and clean the ones in the lot b/c they put a ton of scratches in the cars b/c they powerwash them and then drag a towel across them to dry...but when it comes time to polish/cut the paint on these cars, they seem to be pretty tough...something in which you would think could easily come off with a green pad and a light polish, needs to be bumped up to a more aggressive compound and a equily aggressive pad...

i agree with you sparkie jeeps paints are tough as nails...my dad has one and one day he decided to wash his jeep (it was like the first time since getting it...like 6 months later or something)...well lets just say he had some stuck on stuff and he rubbed so hard he had white blocks of scratches in various area's of the car...at work we brough out the wool pad and an aggressive pad to take those out...

JBs
05-18-2007, 12:18 AM
so i shouldn't be worried about going through the paint on any car w/ a PC and orange pad?

KJW Detailing
05-18-2007, 09:42 AM
from what i have read and heard, its impossible to burn the paint with a Pc...

someone correct me if i am wrong...

ScottB
05-18-2007, 09:48 AM
from what i have read and heard, its impossible to burn the paint with a Pc...

someone correct me if i am wrong...

A PC, when used properly should not burn paint. If I took a PC, a flexible backing plate and no pad and left it on the paint I bet I could burn it.

As for paints, there are only a couple basic types. Most manufacturers use a water based paint and clear due to ever increasing regulations. Some show quality paints use oils and urethane based properties. Finally you have the new Ceramiclear (ceramic particles) added to clear to enhance durability.

JBs
05-19-2007, 09:15 PM
so basically i shouldn;t have to worry about messing up any kind of paint w/ the xmt line?

it will work from honda's to bentleys?

D
05-19-2007, 09:27 PM
Yes, XMT 1-4 will work on anything from Honda's to Bentleys.

merana
10-09-2007, 01:21 PM
This will be my first post on here, as most of the questions I have ever had have been answered by performing a search. Well I have searched far and wide, but have this to ask. I have a client who has a 1955 Chevy Bel Air that he wants me to detail. The issue is that there is no clear coat and the car was last re-painted about 25-27 years ago. I have no clue what the paint is and am quite hesitant on doing any type of paint correction on it, aside from a wash, glaze, seal and wax.

Do any of you have any comments on this. The paints not in the greatest shape, and he knows and understands that. he does want it to look better than it does, and is more than willing to accept the above steps or less.

Comments?

Thanks.