PDA

View Full Version : Newbie needs a advice

clk1022
05-16-2007, 02:59 PM
I just get a new car and I am new to this detailing forum. I have been watching the tutortial video like the waxing/polishing/washing by autogreek. I wonder what's the best things to do to protect the paint from the beginning. just wax it? Do I need to polish it? I got a black car, what can I do to make it more shine? It will be helpful if someone can suggest the procedures that I should do.

Thanks in advance!

Saitek
05-16-2007, 03:43 PM
I'll start. Get a clay bar kit with lube, and clay panel by panel. Even if the car is new, you'll be surprised to find contaminants from factory.

I have a new car and it's also black (sadly with tons of orange peel). I am going with nxt shampoo, xmt 360, pb natty blue, meguiar's tire gel, 70/30 mf cloths, guzzler, schmitt and two bucket system with one grit guard.

If you go to the show n shine subforum, there are quite a few threads with people listing the products used...and of course pics!

One thing I found out the hard way. Most swirls in paint come from improper drying. Blot instead of wipe for newbies.

ScottB
05-16-2007, 03:49 PM
Wash --- Clay -- Final Polish Only --- Protect

Strokin04
05-16-2007, 05:21 PM

and when done doing the steps above sit back and admire the shine!!! Also get ready for all your friends and family to want you to detail their cars.

tod071
05-16-2007, 05:28 PM
and when done doing the steps above sit back and admire the shine!!! Also get ready for all your friends and family to want you to detail their cars. 1 more step you forgot...
:Picture:

clk1022
05-16-2007, 08:01 PM

Could you kindly dig into more details on what to do in each step above?
Especially Final Polish and Protect, if you can point me to some video chips, it will be very helpful.

Thank you~

tod071
05-16-2007, 09:40 PM
Are you using a machine (porter cable) or by hand? If you're using a pc, here's a link to a "how-to" using the pc and CCS pads.

Learn How to detail (http://www.autogeek.net/ccs-polishing-how-to.html)

It gives a brief description of each step. You'll probably want to skip step 1 and move to step II as your car is new, unless you have some corrections to make.

Hope that helps. If not, keep posting until you get it. But don't forget to search as much as you can first. This site has helped me alot and I'd like to give back wherever I can too.

clk1022
05-17-2007, 04:13 PM
Thank you for all of your replies. One more question I want to ask is that my car has a clear bra on it. What thing I have to pay attendation on when I polish and wax the car?