PDA

View Full Version : Are my expecatations Unreasonable?

Radster1986
03-30-2013, 08:49 AM
I recently started to do some "add ons" to my new car. Nothing major, just tint and a good Cquartz Finest application. However I feel like my expectations of what things should turn out to be are very high, but not unreasonable.

I had my tint done by a large reputable shop and when I asked the guy about a few things I noticed i.e. small scratches on the film and the choppyness of some of the cuts they made in the film, the guy told me I was really being choosy and that nobody would ever see it unless they got right up to it and the film is graded on viewing it from a distance of 6 ft away, but he offered to re do it and I am taking him up on the offer. When I got home I washed the car and looked at the back window and noticed alot of bubbles with lint in them, and they will be fixing that too. But the point where I get frustrated is that I have to go back and have them fix something they were suppose to get done right the first time, so I have to spend time and gas to go out there and wait again. Is that the norm or should I ask for a small discount?

On another note I had Cquartz put on its amazing, but I found some small scratches/marring and things in the finish that I am assuming turned white because the filler qualites of the Cquartz makes the scratch more evident especially since the paint is black. The guy who did it for me I have NO issues with going back and having him fix it because I know hes a stand up guy who will stand by his work, but I also feel like a pain in the ass trying to get all these little things I noticed and everything perfect on the finish, if I had the tools to do it myself I would but since it has the coating I am kinda outta luck. But should I feel bad asking him to fix all of the things I noticed? Or am I being unrealistic?

VroomVroom
03-30-2013, 09:40 AM
Sorry to hear about the issues.

Tint. If I may, I suggest escalating and getting someone else to re-do the work. Or, if that's not possible, I'd request a refund and start over with another vendor. The six-foot line is absolute nonsense, and there should never be any bubbling. Bad work, for sure. Possibly cheap film - be sure to ask what they're using - but the quality of work, and lame excuses for it, is...well, inexcusable.

Cquartz. Did the vendor do a paint correction detail (i.e. machine polishing to level the surface and remove imperfections) prior to application? I approach this process just like paint protection film - it's only going to look as good as what's underneath.

Bottom line. You're not being unrealistic at all. The tint should be perfect, no excuses. On the coating issue, it's a matter of reconciling expectations, and perhaps adding another level of service to match them. Good luck.

swanicyouth
03-30-2013, 10:48 AM
Just FYI, your always going to be able to see some minor defects on any black car that GETS DRIVEN. It's a matter of how bad or noticeable those defects are. It's hard to make a recommendation without seeing it, but if they are the kind of defects that can only be seen under certain lights (think gas station fluorescents at night) I would leave it.

Now, if these defects are visible easily under any lights and at any angle any you PAID to have the paint corrected, that's not acceptable. If you polish the car to perfection and store it in a bubble, you may be able to keep it perfect.

Keep in mind, chasing defects decreases your paint (clear coat) thickness, which is something that isn't reversible. So, if they don't take away from the appearance of the car I wouldn't worry about it.

Radster1986
03-30-2013, 12:30 PM
Sorry to hear about the issues.

Tint. If I may, I suggest escalating and getting someone else to re-do the work. Or, if that's not possible, I'd request a refund and start over with another vendor. The six-foot line is absolute nonsense, and there should never be any bubbling. Bad work, for sure. Possibly cheap film - be sure to ask what they're using - but the quality of work, and lame excuses for it, is...well, inexcusable.

Cquartz. Did the vendor do a paint correction detail (i.e. machine polishing to level the surface and remove imperfections) prior to application? I approach this process just like paint protection film - it's only going to look as good as what's underneath.

Bottom line. You're not being unrealistic at all. The tint should be perfect, no excuses. On the coating issue, it's a matter of reconciling expectations, and perhaps adding another level of service to match them. Good luck.

They used LLumar film, which is the best you can get from what I read?, partially the reason I chose them. I didnt get the top of the line stuff for 400 bucks but I did get the "classic series" which is their entry level film but good enough for me. The place isnt shady at all they were one car at a time by appointment only and I was the only one there for the time I was there but like 2 other appointments came in towards the end.

I found about 6 scratches that need to be addressed under the coating, they look like rub marks from someone rubbing against the car with a zipper or something not too noticeable, but it may have not been caught during the pre coating detail and polish prep. I can only see the SUPER fine spider web swirl marks if I am in direct sunlight at an angle or like you said under the gas station lights, the car is nothing short of awesome looking though, I just need those couple little things addressed, I dont think he will have any issue doing it. I just feel bad for being so anal.

2BlackChevys
03-30-2013, 08:19 PM
It's been many years since I owned my tint shops but honestly back then llumar was junk. All the companies would come see us and give us some film to try and we always went back to using Johnson films, which are also the most expensive. I made less $$ per car than my competition but the end product was much nicer. We still have a car in the family (70 Chevelle) that I tinted almost 20 years ago with Johnson film that still looks perfect. Times, products, and technology changes so that may no longer be the case.

Radster1986
03-30-2013, 11:39 PM
It's been many years since I owned my tint shops but honestly back then llumar was junk. All the companies would come see us and give us some film to try and we always went back to using Johnson films, which are also the most expensive. I made less $$ per car than my competition but the end product was much nicer. We still have a car in the family (70 Chevelle) that I tinted almost 20 years ago with Johnson film that still looks perfect. Times, products, and technology changes so that may no longer be the case.
I am sorta wondering now, I have had 3M film in the past and never had any issues. I noticed this stuff is scratched like nobodies business. I am either going to have them fix it or request they refund my money. There is no reason why tint should have scratches on it in this day and age

Radster1986
03-31-2013, 06:46 PM
How would I go about the refund if I am not satisfied with the tint?

TH3M B0N3Z
03-31-2013, 06:56 PM
I just recently got my windows tinted with the Llumar brand. This is my second car with the same tint. But, like you mentioned, they actually did scratch the tint a little on my driver window. It's not so bad that I lose sleep over, but I was a little surprised to see that. Are the scratches in your tint like gouges? You also mentioned some choppy edges... I'd say that's grounds for getting the tint redone or having them take it off and you go somewhere else. I live in Florida and there's a place in Tampa I've been to 3 times for tint, one car tinted, one correction 5 years later, and my new car got the tint a little while ago. It's the Llumar tint and it has a lifetime warranty, just bring your receipt and they'll fix whatever the issue is. The tint is also computer cut, which means... no razors. :D

You also gotta remember that most people seem to be fixated on the money being made and how quickly they can slap the tint on or do whatever needs to be done. It's like every time I've ever gotten new tires or a tire patch, my wheels on my last car always got butchered, nicked up, scratched, you name it. On my new car, I have much nicer OEM wheels... and I know they'll be screwed when it comes to new tires or tire patches. That's why I try to do as much service/maintenance myself.

Radster1986
03-31-2013, 07:14 PM
I just recently got my windows tinted with the Llumar brand. This is my second car with the same tint. But, like you mentioned, they actually did scratch the tint a little on my driver window. It's not so bad that I lose sleep over, but I was a little surprised to see that. Are the scratches in your tint like gouges? You also mentioned some choppy edges... I'd say that's grounds for getting the tint redone or having them take it off and you go somewhere else. I live in Florida and there's a place in Tampa I've been to 3 times for tint, one car tinted, one correction 5 years later, and my new car got the tint a little while ago. It's the Llumar tint and it has a lifetime warranty, just bring your receipt and they'll fix whatever the issue is. The tint is also computer cut, which means... no razors. :D

You also gotta remember that most people seem to be fixated on the money being made and how quickly they can slap the tint on or do whatever needs to be done. It's like every time I've ever gotten new tires or a tire patch, my wheels on my last car always got butchered, nicked up, scratched, you name it. On my new car, I have much nicer OEM wheels... and I know they'll be screwed when it comes to new tires or tire patches. That's why I try to do as much service/maintenance myself.

Yeah I think I will feel them out and see if I want a refund, but the tint isnt gouged its scratched like they had a squeegee with a rough edge, also they dont do computer cut they do it by hand which is weird considering they had cutting machines there that I know from experience cost 30k

TH3M B0N3Z
03-31-2013, 07:57 PM
Yeah I think I will feel them out and see if I want a refund, but the tint isnt gouged its scratched like they had a squeegee with a rough edge, also they dont do computer cut they do it by hand which is weird considering they had cutting machines there that I know from experience cost 30k

I'd ask them to have the machines cut it, even if it means extra money.

I thought the same exact thing when I saw the light scratches on my tint... maybe a rough squeegee.

Radster1986
03-31-2013, 08:54 PM
I'd ask them to have the machines cut it, even if it means extra money.

I thought the same exact thing when I saw the light scratches on my tint... maybe a rough squeegee.

Guess we'll see what happens. If they are unpleasant, what approach should I take to get a refund?

TH3M B0N3Z
03-31-2013, 09:06 PM
Guess we'll see what happens. If they are unpleasant, what approach should I take to get a refund?

I'm not so good in the negotiating area unless I'm really mad, lol.

But I would just tell it like it is... you're not happy with the end result, etc.