PDA

View Full Version : Poor Boys SSR - medium swrl remover

BLKONBLKONBLK
03-30-2013, 08:32 AM
I saw that the Poor Boys Med Swirl remover is on BOGO - was wondering if anyone has used this - I have a Black Avalanche (DD) and it has some swirls (more spiderwebbing than anything else) - nothing to bad for a 3 year old car, was wondering if this will work well for my springtime cleanup detail

Also - what pad do you guys recommend using on this - I have GG 6 inch

Thanks in Advance

VroomVroom
03-30-2013, 09:51 AM
SSR 2.5 is a fine product. I'm not sure you'll ever need 64oz of the stuff, but that's certainly a great price.

The SSR line works great on GM's moderately hard clear coat. 2.5, depending on your pad, will cut through the imperfections just fine, but you may need to make another pass with SSR 1 to remove light hazing left behind by the 2.5.

I'm an old time LC user, and for this I'd use an orange pad with the 2.5, and a white pad with the 1. If you're looking for a one-step polishing effort, I'd probably recommend going with SSR 2 and an orange pad.

A little FWIW.... I find that 2.5 dusts quite a bit, and I always found myself wishing for a little more working time when using it. The remedy...add a little bit of SSR 1 - maybe a 75/25 mix of 2.5/1 - and that will increase your working time and will finish down a little better.

Finally...and I'll shut up soon, I promise. I LOVE Poorboy's - great folks, great products. I'm just one of those guys who discovered the Meguiars 105/205 combo, and I haven't looked back since. Not trying to sway you, just offering my experience. Unless the finish is in really tough shape, the 105/orange > 205/white formula is perfect for this application.

ronkh57
03-30-2013, 09:53 AM
IMHO
I would try to start w LC white pad and see if you get the correction you want. If not move to orange pad.

You will probably have to do a 2nd stage with 2.0 or 1.0 on white.

If you start to dust (as posted above) give it a small spritz of water. That will increase working time. Then use a touch less on the next area.

BLKONBLKONBLK
03-30-2013, 10:00 AM
Thanks Guys -

I tried the 105/205 once didnt work out the way i thoght it shoud (probably operator error as i was nervouse to ruin the finish ) - you dont think that is to aggressive? - want to make sure i dont take the clear coat off - btw only did the 105/205 once in the life of the car

Again decisions between PB and Megs ? maybe try both with the recommended pads

Will send pics when done

VroomVroom
03-30-2013, 10:05 AM
With your DA machine, you have no worries about taking off too much clear. (Worth keeping in mind....you ARE removing paint when you polish. It's just like sanding wood. To remove an imperfection, you're taking away material around it until things are level and smooth.)

Most certainly subscribe to the idea of starting with the least aggressive approach, and escalating as needed. That said...IME, on GM's clear, you'll need something like 2.5 or M105 to level the finish. Experiment and see what works better for you. Have fun! You'll have that Lanche looking awesome.