PDA

View Full Version : Microfiber pads-Is this normal?

RandyD
03-29-2013, 07:17 PM
I bought a couple of LC microfiber pads and Chemical guys V8 polish to try to get rid of some marring on my relatively new Black Audi. I used a Griots orbital polisher and both pads had some microfiber fly all over the place when I started to polish. It calmed down after maybe 15 seconds. Is this normal or are this defective. This didn't happen when I used Meguiars microfiber pads. I switched to an LC white foam pad but that did'nt take out the marring. Black sucks! Any other suggestions to get the marring out of a black audi.

AutowerxDetailing
03-29-2013, 07:28 PM
The LC pads shed a bit during the first few seconds of use. I run them against a pad cleaning brush to break them in before applying any product for the first use.

Sent from my LG-VM701 using AG Online

Old Tiger
03-29-2013, 08:10 PM
The LC pads shed a bit during the first few seconds of use. I run them against a pad cleaning brush to break them in before applying any product for the first use.

I agree. Compressed air is very important with the LC Pads too!

rmagnus
03-29-2013, 09:06 PM

:iagree: and you always want to make sure the pad is clean of any debris even new pads. I prefer to use compressed air vs a brush but the brush works fine.

LilJayV10
03-30-2013, 12:57 AM
I bought a couple of LC microfiber pads and Chemical guys V8 polish to try to get rid of some marring on my relatively new Black Audi. I used a Griots orbital polisher and both pads had some microfiber fly all over the place when I started to polish. It calmed down after maybe 15 seconds. Is this normal or are this defective. This didn't happen when I used Meguiars microfiber pads. I switched to an LC white foam pad but that did'nt take out the marring. Black sucks! Any other suggestions to get the marring out of a black audi.

Any MF pad should be washed/dried before use to help eliminate the shedding. I use Meg's MF discs only and have had them shed some if I didn't wash them previously.

Audi paint is typically very hard. What compound were you using with the MF disc and what polish were you using with the white pad?

I would rather work on hard paint any day of the week! :buffing:

LilJayV10
03-30-2013, 01:01 AM
:iagree: and you always want to make sure the pad is clean of any debris even new pads. I prefer to use compressed air vs a brush but the brush works fine.

Very true. Compressed air seems to work better than the brush alone. The brush does fluff the fibers up but it doesn't get rid of the dried compound and abraided(sp?) paint like compressed air does.

Another good thing to do with MF pads, foam too for that matter, is to push the pad into a MF towel and throttle the machine for a second. This helps clean the pad. This can really be important if you are using a soft finishing pad. Compressed air at high psi can wreck a finishing pad.