PDA

View Full Version : Suggest me a good clay bar...

Pages : [1] 2 3

TH3M B0N3Z
03-29-2013, 04:32 PM
I'm currently using Griot's paint clay, which they claim won't remove any wax (I still follow up with a coat of sealant after I use the clay, anyway), but I'm finding it to be way too mild and sticky. I have a brand new jar of the Griot's clay and it's still in the wrapper awaiting its next use, but I've been trying to find a somewhat stiffer, but still fine grade, clay bar. I want a 200 gram bar at the least. I try to get 3 to 4 pieces out of the whole bar. Are poly clays really good? There are a few fine grade clay bars at work. It's actually a Southeast Toyota product for detailers. I've been messing around with it in its wrapper and it feels nice and firm, but not hard to mold.

What are some clay bars you guys have used? I want a poly type of clay. Do they last longer?

Sicoupe
03-29-2013, 04:36 PM
I've used the meguiars clay kit and it worked just fine:)

TH3M B0N3Z
03-29-2013, 04:40 PM
I've used the meguiars clay kit and it worked just fine:)

Same here, but I like to get clay bars in the 200 gram size. I've got maybe a gallon of Griot's Speed Shine left to use for claying, but once that's gone, I'm pretty much done with detail spray. I've found that using a clean bucket full of soapy water (using Chemical Guys Maxi Suds II) works really well when claying the paint. Most people frown upon that, I once did, but I tried it and I've never inflicted the paint with marring or anything.

TH3M B0N3Z
03-29-2013, 04:44 PM
I'm eyeballing the Wolfgang poly clay bar. Looks nice...

akj
03-29-2013, 05:04 PM
I've read in many places that all clay bars are made the same way from the same stuff. (Other than different grades of course). But some actually said that almost every clay bar is made in the same factory.
Not saying its true just what I read

Sent from my SCH-L710 using AG Online

cardaddy
03-29-2013, 05:09 PM
All clays are poly (to my knowledge), just that the ones that are marketed more towards the 'detailer' are the 200g ones where the OTC ones are lighter. Hard not to like the Megs clays though, and they have several. Mothers clay has had good reviews too. But you say you already have the Griot's, and their stuff IS good. Especially as they too have three different ones. Don't *have* to use say the 'wheel' clay on wheels only, that's just a matter of it being harder / more cleaning power. Probably good for removing overspray for instance. Adding that you can run down to your local AP store and grab some makes it even better. ;)

vegas911gts
03-29-2013, 05:23 PM
Almost all clays are under the clay magic patent so they are almost all are the same. I was recently informed that Bilt hamber and Riccardo are two companies that for sure are different than other brands of clays. I'm sure there are other people that know more about the clay magic patent and if there are more brands that are different from other brands of clay.

I would guess that all clay sold in the usa would be the same because of the patent.

Riccardo you can order from canada, and bilt hamber can be ordered from the uk. I've heard that bilt hamber is the best and doesn't need clay lube. I will try them out some day whenever I run out of clay which could be in a year.

I have two bars of generic clay. Fine and medium.

Dogfather
03-29-2013, 06:51 PM
I wanted to get the Gliptone Body Bar from Amazon where it was reviewed positiveley but I couldn't get free shipping so I ordered Pinnacle speed clay from AG with free shipping.

wanabe detailer
03-29-2013, 09:07 PM
Megs

07rs
03-29-2013, 09:15 PM
Mothers clay kit

addysdaddy
03-29-2013, 09:16 PM
Nanoskin medium 6" disk. You'll never want to use a traditional clay bar again.

CM8 6MT
03-29-2013, 09:22 PM
Riccardo you can order from canada

LoL they wont ship to the U.S buddy, check your info next time. Clay Magic still holds the patent. I have to resort to get them by "other" means ;)

RhetoricMixes
03-29-2013, 09:24 PM
Nanoskin medium 6" disk. You'll never want to use a traditional clay bar again.

Yup. I use mine with a hand strap and its light years faster than traditional clay.

RedXray
03-29-2013, 09:25 PM
I have to resort to get them by "other" means ;)

Be careful of those clay sniffing dogs at the airport coming through customs :laughing:

CM8 6MT
03-29-2013, 09:28 PM
Be careful of those clay sniffing dogs at the airport coming through customs :laughing:

LOL!! Good thing they dont make one WHITE in color, or else they would really ask me a "few" questions. All the vendors I spoke to are REAL serious about not selling/shipping to any U.S adress. Patent laws :/......