PDA

View Full Version : Most suitable non-protective QD

MattyL
03-29-2013, 03:12 PM
Hi everyone:

Looking for some input about QD’s. What I would like is a QD that adds NO PROTECTION, but simply adds some shine and gloss after a wash and in between coats of whatever LSP I have laid down. I will not be using the QD to clean off road grime or anything like that in b/w washes. I’m strictly going to use it AFTER washes to add gloss/shine and get rid of water spots, etc.

I’m hesitant about QD’s w/protective capabilities on account of hearing about them muting metallic paint if applied too frequent, hence my soliciting recommendations of QD’s with no protection. Am I wrong in my assuming this?

Also, how worried should I be about the cleaning agents in non-protective QD’s degrading any wax/sealant I have on the car? To remove caked on bird droppings, I would think you need some decent-strength cleaners to accomplish this and would thus be removing some protection, no?

Looking at the following QD’s:
Chemical Guys Speed Wipe Anti-Static Quick Detailer
Duragloss Fast Clean & Shine Detail Spray
Finish Kare 425
Griot's Garage Speed Shine Detailer
Optimum Instant Detailer & Gloss Enhancer
Poorboy's Spray & Gloss
SONAX Brilliant Shine Detailer
Ultima Waterless Wash +

I read reviews about the Sonax on other forums (detailngworld.co.uk & some german forum) & the OP's as well as other people using it were taken back at how well it performed (in terms of beading at least). I'm confused though: is this a spray sealant or a gloss-only QD? My interest is piqued, because this product looked pretty legit.

Tell me what you think, thanks!

Meticulous-Detail
03-29-2013, 03:19 PM
This might help.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/62415-your-favorite-gloss-shine-enhancing-spray.html

cardaddy
03-29-2013, 06:09 PM
For no protection (as far as QD's go) you'd be able to throw ONR in that list. By default, water adds antistatic properties, so just a quick spritz with ONR at QD dilutions, with a GOOD MF towel will be a decent and VERY affordable choice. Along with that, of course you'd add ONRWW and while it does add some degree of protection (hence the last "W" being wax) but not enough to be considered a sealant or anything. Personally I use both, but the WW version may be a better QD. Just make sure to use distilled water in your mix.

Dimetera413
03-29-2013, 09:17 PM
Speed Wipe is a great one.

PPLd
03-29-2013, 09:25 PM
According to Chemical Guys UK, Speed Wipe is a spray detailer with synthetic waxes.

Neothin
03-29-2013, 09:47 PM
Spray + Gloss

Bunky
03-30-2013, 06:30 AM
According to Chemical Guys UK, Speed Wipe is a spray detailer with synthetic waxes.

I do not know their definition of synthetic wax but from my use what ever gloss/slickness additive is similar to other gloss enhancing detailers. Synthetic wax can mean almost anything.

FUNX650
03-30-2013, 07:02 AM
Sounds like Meguiar's Last Touch D155 would be down your street and up your alley!!

Meguiars Last Touch Spray Detailer is the last step to making an excellent first impression! Wipe away dust and fingerprints with Meguiars Last Touch (http://www.autogeek.net/meguiar-s-last-touch-spray.html)

:)

Bob

jjj
03-30-2013, 07:17 AM
Spray + Gloss

+1 I love this stuff!! A little goes a long way. I rarely spray a full spray. Leaves a slick wet look finish!

Robert8194
03-30-2013, 07:26 AM
Anything put out by Optimum is good. Not sure if the instant detailer adds protection. For me, I want all the protection I can get.

vet
03-30-2013, 07:35 AM
I use Optimum No Rinse diluted to detail strength with distilled water, or Megs detail spray. I doubt either would mute the metallic, but I don't know for sure.

porta
03-30-2013, 08:01 AM
Dont use Sonax then since its more durable then many regular lsp:s.

MattyL
03-30-2013, 09:33 AM
Sounds like Meguiar's Last Touch D155 would be down your street and up your alley!!

Meguiars Last Touch Spray Detailer is the last step to making an excellent first impression! Wipe away dust and fingerprints with Meguiars Last Touch (http://www.autogeek.net/meguiar-s-last-touch-spray.html)

:)

Bob

Do you like LT better than Quik Detailer or Final Inspection? How would you rank the three?

Dont use Sonax then since its more durable then many regular lsp:s.
It looked pretty good in the reviews I read. I have so many spray sealants right now though, I just don't know if I can justify another one taking room up on the shelf!

I use Optimum No Rinse diluted to detail strength with distilled water, or Megs detail spray. I doubt either would mute the metallic, but I don't know for sure.

Would the shine/gloss from Ultima WW+ (or ONR) used as a QD after a regular sponge wash even be discernable from a dedicated shine/gloss QQ, or would it be just splitting hairs? If no real difference, I can't pass up the UWW+ on account of its value alone.