PDA

View Full Version : Nanoskin Autoscrub Speedy Prep Sponge

Pages : [1] 2 3

ihaveacamaro
03-29-2013, 09:57 AM
Hey guys, if you're regulars in this forum, I'm sure you've seen reviews of the speedy prep towel. One of the biggest things stopping people from getting the towel is the $50 price tag. Well now you have a way to get the same quality material at a much lower price.

Here's the latest evolution of the nanoskin speedy prep towel: the nanoskin sponge!

Another thing people worry about is marring. Some people say there isn't any marring and some people say there is. Well, just for you guys, I took a bunch of action pictures before, during, and after to show the results. ALL the pictures are taken in direct sunlight so if there was marring evident, there would be no place for it to hide.

See the flawless paint before:

http://www.howtodetailmycar.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/nanoskin-1-768x1024.jpg

http://www.howtodetailmycar.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/nanoskin-2-768x1024.jpg

My clay lube (Ultima Waterless Wash Plus):

http://www.howtodetailmycar.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/nanoskin-3-768x1024.jpg

Always use a healthy amount of lube ;)

http://www.howtodetailmycar.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/nanoskin-4-768x1024.jpg

Picture of the sponge:

http://www.howtodetailmycar.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/nanoskin-5-768x1024.jpg

In action:

http://www.howtodetailmycar.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/nanoskin-6-768x1024.jpg

Flawless and no marring after:

http://www.howtodetailmycar.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/nanoskin-7-768x1024.jpg

Pros:

Makes claying faster (whole car took me 25 minutes)
Easy grip to handle
Droppable, reusable, washable
Foam can actually hold lube in it if you dunk the sponge in ONR
No marring!!
Cheap @ $13

Cons:

Honestly, compared to clay, the only con is it has slightest amount less feedback. If you weren't comparing them directly like I did for the test, you wouldn't even of noticed.
Compared to the towel, it is slower and has a little less feedback. Again, you wouldn't of noticed the less feedback unless you compare them directly, it's just that close!

Bottom line:
At only $13 instead of $50, you pretty much owe it to yourself to try this thing out. Make sure to follow the break-in instructions and use an adequate amount of lube.

Boudin
03-29-2013, 10:12 AM
I bought the 2 pack of sponges, fine and medium. I'm still a little apprehensive to use them until I see a review like yours but on paint that is moderately contaminated. I assume your paint had very little because you keep it up and it's opticoated?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

ihaveacamaro
03-29-2013, 10:25 AM
I bought the 2 pack of sponges, fine and medium. I'm still a little apprehensive to use them until I see a review like yours but on paint that is moderately contaminated. I assume your paint had very little because you keep it up and it's opticoated?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Yeah, there was very little contamination over the entire car. The part that I tested DOES NOT have opticoat though.

But, since the whole point of lube is to keep things lubricated, I don't know if having more contamination would have led to a different result. I can tell you first hand that more contamination on a car did not mean more or even any marring from the towel.

fenderpicks
03-29-2013, 10:47 AM
Hey Roshan, im glad to see that the nanoskin prep sponge is good lol.

I bought alot of nanoskin products back in DF, i have used the rain prep and anti fog, it gave me a huge disappointment.

Anti fog simply just didnt work!! And the rain prep contains high amount of ammonia.

But i did purchase the fine grade prep sponge that i have yet to try.

Evan.J
03-29-2013, 11:04 AM
Nice review Roshan. For $13 bucks that seems like a steal IMO. I have the disc but have yet to use it due to the weather here in Western PA.

FUNX650
03-29-2013, 11:05 AM
Hi Roshan...

Thanks for your excellent review of another 'clay-substitute'. :props:

If I may:

Always use a healthy amount of lube ;)

Do you sometimes find it hard to determine the difference when
you've used just enough (healthy amount?) clay-lube for the:
"Inherent/Needed Hydoplaning-effect" for claying-sessions...

And using clay-lube in excess---where there is then too much hydroplaning occurring...
thereby reducing, or even eliminating, the claying's intended purposes?

I know I have.

Pros:

Foam can actually hold lube in it if you dunk the sponge in ONR

OK...Would any ONR, then, become part of the clay-lube?
Is that a good or bad thing, if it would?

Cons:

Honestly, compared to clay, the only con is it has slightest amount less feedback. If you weren't comparing them directly like I did for the test, you wouldn't even of noticed.
Compared to the towel, it is slower and has a little less feedback. Again, you wouldn't of noticed the less feedback unless you compare them directly, it's just that close!

Would you be so kind to provide your definition of feedback...
as it applies to: "claying a vehicle"? Feed back please.

Thanks.

:)

Bob

ihaveacamaro
03-29-2013, 11:18 AM
Hey Bob, because of all the editing you do in your posts, I'm just going to answer your questions without quoting you, hope that's cool with you :)

1) Yeah, sometimes it's hard to tell when you're overusing it. Just like da polishing arm speed, it's just something I feel and hard to explain. Most of the time, I just go by the feeling of picking up the contaminants and then when the feeling switches to gliding, I move on.

2) ONR would be additional to the clay lube I was using: UWW+. Since I was claying after doing a no rinse, I still had a little left of ONR in my wash bucket.

3) Feedback: The tactile feel in you hand/fingers of the clay or clay alternative sliding against your paint. That's the best I can do in terms of defining it.

I always enjoy your your questions Bob, I'm sure when others read this review, they will appreciate you asking them :)

Audi X2
03-29-2013, 11:30 AM
Thanks for the excellent review Roshan :xyxthumbs:
I can see the feedback feeling being diminished with the sponge vs. the towel or the wash mitt. The foam on the sponge places a greater distance between your hand and the paint.

FUNX650
03-29-2013, 11:34 AM
Hey Bob, because of all the editing you do in your posts, I'm just going to answer your questions without quoting you
Thanks, Roshan, for replying to my inquiries...I appreciate it! :xyxthumbs:

Bob

ihaveacamaro
03-29-2013, 12:03 PM
I can see the feedback feeling being diminished with the sponge vs. the towel or the wash mitt. The foam on the sponge places a greater distance between your hand and the paint.

Yeah I believe that is the cause as well. It really is not much of a real difference in feel, just something that I did notice, and if I noticed it, then it's going in the review! It is a slight hardly noticeable difference though.

Thanks, Roshan, for replying to my inquiries...I appreciate it! :xyxthumbs:

Bob

Always happy to to converse with you Bob :props:

Audi X2
03-29-2013, 12:16 PM
I placed an order for the pack with the fine grade and medium grade sponges. The price is right and I could see how having these could come in handy.

Dogfather
03-29-2013, 01:04 PM

Would feedback be improved if one was to slice off the top 50% of the sponge portion, or would that be silly?

JSou
03-29-2013, 01:27 PM
dang it Roshan...you are always making me add stuff the cart.

Audi X2
03-29-2013, 01:46 PM
Would feedback be improved if one was to slice off the top 50% of the sponge portion, or would that be silly?

The only way to find out would be to try it. However, I suspect that the product has been engineered to be sized in a manner that has the best grip and control. Roshan commented in his review that the diminished feedback feeling vs. the towel is very slight. So while it would be easy to modify the sponge thickness I suspect the change in feedback may not be big given the total surface area of the product.

ihaveacamaro
03-29-2013, 03:47 PM
dang it Roshan...you are always making me add stuff the cart.

It's the review syndrome ;)

Maybe I should do more reviews of products that I was less than happy with? As far as I know now, the only product that I reviewed that I didn't recommend on AG is the Opti-Eraser.

Let's see what I can dig up lol!