PDA

View Full Version : New guy here wanting some advice!

Pages : [1] 2

Royalnine
03-28-2013, 03:35 PM
Hello everyone:xyxthumbs:

I am the new guy on the block. Always been pretty anal about keeping my cars clean but always just used cheaper store bought products. Thought I would step up my game a little and start using better stuff. I have been lurking on the forums and in the store and reading a lot about all the products and gaining knowledge. My cars are both 2006's which have been pretty well kept up since new so there is no major restorative work that they need, just upkeep (well they do both need a good cleaner/wax and black plastic trims are fading). Here is what is in my shopping cart currently and I was wanting to see if you guys approve of the products I have chosen.....

1. Meg's D111 Shampoo
2. Meg's D170 Hyper Dressing
3. Meg's D103 APC+
4. Meg's D151 AIO Paint Reconditioner
5. CarPro Perl
6. Some applicators and spray bottles

Here's what I was thinking. Let me know if this is a good plan or not. 111 to wash (I always used dish soap but have now learned the benefits of a real car wash soap). 151 for a general clean, polish, wax every few months (I don't have a ton of spare time so I prefer a AIO). 103 for general cleaning inside and out. 170 for wheel wells, interior, tires (when not using a different tire shine), outside plastic trim. Perl for restoration of exterior trim (170 over Perl for touch ups when needed) and leather. I have a standard 10" DA buffer that I was going to use to apply the 151 using microfiber bonnets.

I am just a hobbyist looking to keep my cars looking good and I am kind of on a budget. So what do you all think of my ideas? Thanks for any and all help! Feed back please

Mike Phillips
03-28-2013, 03:41 PM
Welcome to AutogeekOnline! :welcome:

I have a standard 10" DA buffer that I was going to use to apply the 151 using microfiber bonnets.

Sounds like you're describing one of these?

The Traditional Orbital Buffer aka The Wax Spreader (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/hot-topics-frequently-asked-questions/25148-traditional-orbital-buffer-aka-wax-spreader.html)

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/794/WaxSpreader02.jpg

These types of tools are very limited in their ability to correct or in other words, remove swirls and scratches, but with the D151 Cleaner/Wax you should see some improvement.

:)

Evan.J
03-28-2013, 03:41 PM
Hello everyone:xyxthumbs:

I am the new guy on the block. Always been pretty anal about keeping my cars clean but always just used cheaper store bought products. Thought I would step up my game a little and start using better stuff. I have been lurking on the forums and in the store and reading a lot about all the products and gaining knowledge. My cars are both 2006's which have been pretty well kept up since new so there is no major restorative work that they need, just upkeep (well they do both need a good cleaner/wax and black plastic trims are fading). Here is what is in my shopping cart currently and I was wanting to see if you guys approve of the products I have chosen.....

1. Meg's D111 Shampoo
2. Meg's D170 Hyper Dressing
3. Meg's D103 APC+
4. Meg's D151 AIO Paint Reconditioner
5. CarPro Perl
6. Some applicators and spray bottles

Here's what I was thinking. Let me know if this is a good plan or not. 111 to wash (I always used dish soap but have now learned the benefits of a real car wash soap). 151 for a general clean, polish, wax every few months (I don't have a ton of spare time so I prefer a AIO). 103 for general cleaning inside and out. 170 for wheel wells, interior, tires (when not using a different tire shine), outside plastic trim. Perl for restoration of exterior trim (170 over Perl for touch ups when needed) and leather. I have a standard 10" DA buffer that I was going to use to apply the 151 using microfiber bonnets.

I am just a hobbyist looking to keep my cars looking good and I am kind of on a budget. So what do you all think of my ideas? Thanks for any and all help! Feed back please

Add in there a clay bar with a Lubricant like final inspection. Hyper dressing is nice due to the different dilutions you can make but it is a water base just so you know. You can at a look at all season dressing if you want a silicone based dressing.

Wheel brushes? What type of wash mitt are you going to use? Maybe a grit guard?

Royalnine
03-28-2013, 03:56 PM
Welcome to AutogeekOnline! :welcome:

Sounds like you're describing one of these?

The Traditional Orbital Buffer aka The Wax Spreader (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/hot-topics-frequently-asked-questions/25148-traditional-orbital-buffer-aka-wax-spreader.html)

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/794/WaxSpreader02.jpg

These types of tools are very limited in their ability to correct or in other words, remove swirls and scratches, but with the D151 Cleaner/Wax you should see some improvement.

:)

Thanks for the welcome! Yes that is the type of buffer I have. I understand it is limited it paint correction but until I learn how to properly use the high speed buffer I own and also learn the difference in pads, then I am just looking for a quick/light clean/wax. Need to learn a lot more about more intense paint correction and then give it a go someday!

Add in there a clay bar with a Lubricant like final inspection. Hyper dressing is nice due to the different dilutions you can make but it is a water base just so you know. You can at a look at all season dressing if you want a silicone based dressing.

Wheel brushes? What type of wash mitt are you going to use? Maybe a grit guard?

Good idea on the clay bar, I know both my vehicles could use that big time! HD sounds good and I think I will prefer the water base (I don't mind the dressing coming off quickly or too easy). I have an assortment of brushes and wash mitts already. I have a couple microfiber mitts and a couple of the sheepskin/wool looking ones?!? Also will look into a grit guard!

Thanks guys!

encoder
03-28-2013, 04:19 PM
+1 on the Grit Guard. In fact, I use one in both of my buckets.
+1 on the clay. I've found the DP brand clay on AG to be user friendly and great. No marring the finish. You can mix your own clay lube but honestly the DP lube is $5 when you buy the combo kit and it works great for me.

For your wash mitts... are they in good condition? Truly clean? Do you wash them between each use? Just be sure that if you have any question at all about their cleanliness that you play it safe and buy a new mitt/sponge/etc. Demote the one you have now for duty cleaning wheels and wheel wells and undercarriage.

Also, what about good drying towels, microfibers, etc? The Griots Speed Shine ulta plush blue MFs are great and fairly priced at $6/ea in 3 packs. Also, a good Quick Detailer will come in handy. Many options here. I personally prefer the one from DoDo Juice, the Green bottle.

Royalnine
03-28-2013, 04:54 PM
+1 on the Grit Guard. In fact, I use one in both of my buckets.
+1 on the clay. I've found the DP brand clay on AG to be user friendly and great. No marring the finish. You can mix your own clay lube but honestly the DP lube is $5 when you buy the combo kit and it works great for me.

For your wash mitts... are they in good condition? Truly clean? Do you wash them between each use? Just be sure that if you have any question at all about their cleanliness that you play it safe and buy a new mitt/sponge/etc. Demote the one you have now for duty cleaning wheels and wheel wells and undercarriage.

Also, what about good drying towels, microfibers, etc? The Griots Speed Shine ulta plush blue MFs are great and fairly priced at $6/ea in 3 packs. Also, a good Quick Detailer will come in handy. Many options here. I personally prefer the one from DoDo Juice, the Green bottle.

Yeah my wash mitts are in good shape. I wash them every couple washes. I have a couple of the synthetic chamois that I use to dry, I like the way they perform. I also Have about 30 or so microfibers that I buy in bulk from the local Costco. Are they decent MF's? They seem to work well. I also have a couple full bottles of Meg's quick detailer that seem to be lasting forever.

Thanks for the info!:props:

vegas911gts
03-28-2013, 06:14 PM
Yeah my wash mitts are in good shape. I wash them every couple washes. I have a couple of the synthetic chamois that I use to dry, I like the way they perform. I also Have about 30 or so microfibers that I buy in bulk from the local Costco. Are they decent MF's? They seem to work well. I also have a couple full bottles of Meg's quick detailer that seem to be lasting forever.

Thanks for the info!:props:

I would not use costco mf towels on paint. They are not plush enough. I do use them on wheels and door jambs. Most of the time I don't even wash them. I use them as rags. They are cheap enough to throw away if they get really dirty and they do as I use them on the dirtiest parts on my car.

I recommend a mitt made with merino wool as it is as soft as you can get. I prefer the carpro mitt.

Royalnine
03-28-2013, 11:15 PM
Ok guys....added a grit guard to the order and looked at some other stuff.

Going to get Mothers clay bar kit locally as I have read good reviews about it on here. Going to get a couple new mitts and brushes and get a better set up going with designated mitts for certain stuff. Going to look into some better MF's.

Thanks for all the info and ideas everyone. Love this website/forum!

So how does this sound....

Wash Megs D111
Mothers Clay Bar
Megs D151 with my gay little buffer and a Powerball I forgot I got for Christmas
Perl on trim and leather
Megs HD D170 interior/tires/wells/under hood
Megs D103 APC+ on rubber mats and wherever else needed (would it work well on wheels?)
I already have carpet cleaner, Megs quick detailer, Stoner glass, and some other basic stuff

Anything I am missing for a decent hobbyist level detail?:work:

I do plan on getting a nice DA and some different pads when I can afford it!

builthatch
03-28-2013, 11:38 PM
Ok guys....added a grit guard to the order and looked at some other stuff.

Going to get Mothers clay bar kit locally as I have read good reviews about it on here. Going to get a couple new mitts and brushes and get a better set up going with designated mitts for certain stuff. Going to look into some better MF's.

Thanks for all the info and ideas everyone. Love this website/forum!

So how does this sound....

Wash Megs D111
Mothers Clay Bar
Megs D151 with my gay little buffer and a Powerball I forgot I got for Christmas
Perl on trim and leather
Megs HD D170 interior/tires/wells/under hood
Megs D103 APC+ on rubber mats and wherever else needed (would it work well on wheels?)
I already have carpet cleaner, Megs quick detailer, Stoner glass, and some other basic stuff

Anything I am missing for a decent hobbyist level detail?:work:

I do plan on getting a nice DA and some different pads when I can afford it!

i am a long time user of Optimum Power Clean and have seen countless times where people prefer it over APC+. it's more expensive but people consistently say it does a better job at more things and they feel more secure using OPC on a wide variety of things up to and including leather (@ 10:1) vs. APC+. but i have never tried APC+ myself - haven't ever had a reason to.

to make your life easier i suggest getting Optimum Opti-Clean concentrate in addition to what you've chosen. read about it to see why. it's quite a value (it's used diluted 3:1). it is by far the number one most used product in my arsenal. it does A LOT of work.

i also think OPT No Rinse goes hand in hand with Opti-Clean but that is up to you. for the times you don't want to wash your car with the stuff you've listed (which all require a hose, rinsing, a mess, etc), you can use No Rinse or Opti-Clean, depending on what the scenario is. they are must-haves imo.

jdmj0
03-29-2013, 12:53 AM
As a weekend warrior, you a great list to start.

As others mentioned, grit guard and clay + qd (which you've added to your list).

Microfiber is definitely something you should upgrade as well as quality (not horribly priced) MF will go a long way. I also would suggest getting 2-3 waffle weave towels for your windows and such. They do great to dry cars too.

Also, to add to your tool list, brushes:
-Wheel Woolies (I personally don't like Daytona Speed Brushes, too much splatter)
-Lug brush (get two, one dedicated for lugs/wheels, one more for other areas of the car such as gas cap area, emblems, etc.)
-Dedicated tire/wheel well/underbody brush

Buckets are cheap and I'd just go to your local Lowes/Home Depot and pick up any 5 gallon one if you don't have a few already (I would suggest having 3).

Lastly, in the future, just pick up a Porter Cable. I started out with one and I will always keep it. You (for the most part) cannot damage your paint with one, well nothing short of turning it upside and bashing your car. Do not fear going high speed with one of those as they'll be a great step up to your polishing game. Eventually you'll go up to a flex/rupes, then a rotary.

Royalnine
03-29-2013, 01:04 AM
You (for the most part) cannot damage your paint with one, well nothing short of turning it upside and bashing your car.
HA HA LOL!

I do plan on the Porter Cable soon. Looks like a very nice tool!

Thanks everyone for all your help!:dblthumb2:

cardaddy
03-29-2013, 01:35 AM
Good starter list for sure. You'll love the Megs APC+, so many uses for it. Might want to add a 6 pack of Megs spray bottles @ $15 for all 6 it's a STEAL! ;) Just get 3 APC+ bottles and have different dilutions. Heck even my wife uses it all over the house. :D

The Costco Eurow 350 towels at $15.95 for 36 is a great start, just be careful on paint with them. (They will work with some though, especially after a couple washes with Woolite and light liquid detergent mix.) ;) Might want to find some more MF towels for wiping down after the wax though. Eurow has some 660's that are dual-ply, shaggy, very affordable in a 10 pack. Just do a search for them (can't link from here). For MF's here you'll love the 530's! Great towels to have around. :D

Evan.J
03-29-2013, 10:43 AM
Good MF towels are always great to have. I know that I have become very fond of the Cobra 530 towel. Its just soothing to keep in mind. You never want to do all the work in cleaning the paint then use a bad towel and instill swirls and scratches right back into it with a bad towel. Plus that will drive you crazy.

I say keep an eye on the BOGO's every two weeks to see what comes up.

cardaddy
03-29-2013, 12:26 PM
Good MF towels are always great to have. I know that I have become very fond of the Cobra 530 towel. Its just soothing to keep in mind. You never want to do all the work in cleaning the paint then use a bad towel and instill swirls and scratches right back into it with a bad towel. Plus that will drive you crazy.

I say keep an eye on the BOGO's every two weeks to see what comes up.

:iagree::dblthumb2::iagree::dblthumb2::iagree:

Royalnine
03-29-2013, 06:58 PM
You guys are all awesome! Thanks for the info and I will keep an eye on the BOGO.

In the meantime I am excited to clean my baby when my new products come. Here is a pic of "Big Girl"....
http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p266/84moneypit/IMAG0574_zpsb07ac73b.jpg