PDA

View Full Version : need tips on detailing by hand.

Pages : [1] 2

Texarkana
03-28-2013, 09:28 AM
My aunt got a hold of me a few minutes ago and asked me if I could detail her car. I told her no problem but I have no experiencewith machine waxing or polishing. She is going to buy all the supplies so I'll tell her to pick up a clay bar kit along with polish and wax.

The vehicle is a Audi A4, black paint and aluminum rims. The most I've done is wash, clay bar and apply spray wax to my vehicle so any tips or links to a good write up would be appreciated.

zmcgovern45
03-28-2013, 09:40 AM
My aunt got a hold of me a few minutes ago and asked me if I could detail her car. I told her no problem but I have no experiencewith machine waxing or polishing. She is going to buy all the supplies so I'll tell her to pick up a clay bar kit along with polish and wax.

The vehicle is a Audi A4, black paint and aluminum rims. The most I've done is wash, clay bar and apply spray wax to my vehicle so any tips or links to a good write up would be appreciated.

Audi is notorious for having hard paint that can be difficult to correct. If you are out to remove defects, I would say you NEED a DA machine, or you will either have to work for days at a time or you will have to accept sub par results.

If you are not out to remove defects, but just want to decontaminate the surface and protect it with a nice sealant and/or wax... then there are not too many tips I can give. Simply spread thinly and evenly over the paint (make sure the surface is cool, apply products in garage or at least in the shade). Use products as directed - meaning some are meant to apply and immediately remove while others are meant to be applied and left to cure for a certain amount of time until they are dry and ready to be removed.

Good luck!

jvs1991
03-28-2013, 10:04 AM

I would invest in a DA polisher. Yes the price may seem steep at first but once you use it a few times and see what you can do with one you'll never look back. You can probably make your money back on it detailing a few friends or family cars.

VroomVroom
03-28-2013, 10:11 AM
Said above quite nicely. As long as your expectations are in line, I think you'll be fine. You can certainly cleanse and protect working by hand. FWIW, I just did so last month on my black Audi...(and the Mrs.' Lexi):

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8509/8483357869_cb62a704c8_c.jpg

You've got the basic steps in place...

Wash > clay > cleanse > protect

If you haven't yet directed the shopping, I'd go with a good paint cleanser versus a polish. You'll find it to be easier to apply and work by hand, and again, as mentioned above....you're not going to do much correction work on that hard clear until you step up to machine polishing.

Assuming you're after maximum protection, I'd choose a sealant over a wax...although with my favorite-on-black product, you'll also get the look of a wax. I know you didn't ask for any product recommendations, but if it has some value, this might be a good start:

Wolfgang Deep Gloss Total Concours Kit, exterior car care kit, wash, clay, polish, and wax (http://www.autogeek.net/wg6500.html)

That would address everything but a good set of mitts, buckets, and if needed, a wheel cleaner or APC.

Good luck...

07gtcs
03-28-2013, 10:17 AM
Wash, Clay, Black Fire Gloss Enhancing Polish, Total Polish and Seal and then maybe top with some Midnight Sun Wax. Will shine up nice, but like said earlier, won't do much if paint correction is needed. I did this to my truck when I first found AG and was amazed how much better the truck looked than my previous wash and waxes.

Scott@IncrediblyDetailed
03-28-2013, 01:48 PM
Wash, clay, 1 step product by hand.

Perhaps the klasse twins. Klasse AIO and Klasse High Gloss Sealant.

Boudin
03-28-2013, 01:52 PM
I would recommend Klasse AIO if working by hand.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Crazy Diamond
03-28-2013, 02:07 PM
I own a Audi A4, also black. I use Wolfgang everything on this car,if you go to my profile you can see the car. When I first bought this car I started with a good wash and striped it of everything old, then clayed it then wolfgangs 3.0 swril remover and topped it off with fusion. Then polished it with the Cyclo. You will love the results.

Texarkana
06-06-2013, 08:07 AM
Sorry it took so long to reply everyone. My aunt was worried about the pollen so she told me the keys would be in the car and to come over whenever today. I tried to explain to her the proper process for an exterior detail but she just wants a hand wash and wax minus the clay bar and polish. I'll be heading over after my microfiber towels dry out, thanks for the tips!

Mike Phillips
06-06-2013, 08:23 AM
Some links in post #2 of this related thread...

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/wet-sanding-cutting-buffing/65755-can-i-remove-swirl-marks-hand-some-say-yea.html

:)

Texarkana
06-06-2013, 01:31 PM
Well I just got back, it came out pretty good despite my first time waxing. I bought Mequiar's gold class caranuba plus. Gave it quick wash, drove it into the barn and dried it off, then for the next hour and a half I slowly applied wax and buffed panel by panel. I wish she would've got the clay bar because even though the coat of wax is smooth as glass all the impurities underneath just make it feel ugly.

Texarkana
06-09-2013, 08:00 PM
http://img845.imageshack.us/img845/4426/20130609133053.jpg

Vegas Transplant
06-09-2013, 08:12 PM
A great upsell will be the headlights on the next detail.
Also, sealants tend to attract less pollen than traditional wax.

Good job, btw!

Texarkana
06-09-2013, 08:30 PM
Thank you. I'll see if she wants the headlights done. It'll take a little effort but I'm sure I can get them by hand.

http://img580.imageshack.us/img580/782/20130609133023.jpg

Vegas Transplant
06-09-2013, 08:39 PM
No doubt :props: