PDA

View Full Version : Removing Bear Spray

davisautodetail
03-27-2013, 01:18 PM
This might be a Montana-only issue, but a potential customer called asking if I could remove bear spray...he punctured a can under his driver's seat.

I'm thinking it's an organic, so removing the seat, and doing a full shampoo should be a start with a follow up with the ozone machine.

Anyone ever tried to remove bear spray? I've never done it, so I have no idea. He's trying to get insurance to pay for it.

akj
03-27-2013, 01:31 PM
Haha. Yea an unusual request to say the least.. I would say its not common.
But seems to me like it'd be about like cleaning dog pee or something assuming that bear spray is a synthetic bear pee.

Ha

Sent from my SCH-L710 using AG Online

Dr_Pain
03-27-2013, 01:34 PM
I am originally from Northern Canada, so quite familiar with bear spray. The main ingredient if I remember correctly is capsacin, which is as you pointed out organic. It is also hydropobic, which should make it respond very well to simple carpet pre-treater and hot water extraction.

Unless they have additional additives (in that particular bear spray), you should not need the ozonator (although if you have it, it won't hurt).

Please do yourself a favor and wear a mask.... that stuff is NASTY!

davisautodetail
03-27-2013, 01:34 PM
But seems to me like it'd be about like cleaning dog pee or something assuming that bear spray is a synthetic bear pee.

Ha

I think you're thinking deer attractant. Bear spray is basically pepper spray in large quantity. Oleoresin Capsicum (hot red pepper) is the active ingredient.

The good news, I think, is that the pee comparison should be right, meaning they are both organic, so the o3 should break it down.

davisautodetail
03-27-2013, 01:35 PM
I am originally from Northern Canada, so quite familiar with bear spray. The main ingredient if I remember correctly is capsacin, which is as you pointed out organic. It is also hydropobic, which should make it respond very well to simple carpet pre-treater and hot water extraction.

Unless they have additional additives (in that particular bear spray), you should not need the ozonator (although if you have it, it won't hurt).

Please do yourself a favor and wear a mask.... that stuff is NASTY!

That's sort of what I was thinking myself, and absolutely...full hazmat type suit with gloves and a mask for sure. I'll put the same stuff I use for painting cars on!

Dr_Pain
03-27-2013, 01:35 PM

Ha

Actually bear spray is a high grade pepper spray (deterrent) in case of bear contact or attacks :props:

Dr_Pain
03-27-2013, 01:43 PM
That's sort of what I was thinking myself, and absolutely...full hazmat type suit with gloves and a mask for sure. I'll put the same stuff I use for painting cars on!

Might be a slight overkill but better to be protected :xyxthumbs:. Contact exposure is sometimes worse than inhalation, you can ask my wife. She is one of those people that get a major reaction from just cutting jalapenos for a dish.

In it's pure form capsacin can be deadly, but by regulation bear spray needs to be safe for civilian exposure. Now if you are talking military grade stuff then that is a LOT worse.... don't ask me how I know! You are talking about 2-5 million SHU

Forgot to say that many EMT services use baby shampoo as a quick, easy and available safe way to start the flushing process. Although capsacin is not water soluble it normally has a weak bond to anything inorganic it comes in contact with. A simple emulsifier and water is normally all it takes.

oldmodman
03-27-2013, 11:22 PM
My first impression was of a bear backing up to the car and letting loose.

But if your customer had a can of bear repellant go off in the car every surface will need to be cleaned. All the carpet, headliner, seat fabric or leather will need to be cleaned, probably several time, with an extractor and/or a steamer. That super strong pepper spray is nothing to fool around with.

dipolley
03-27-2013, 11:54 PM
All good advice. You definitly want to cover up. Wear a respirator and goggles, as well as, nitril gloves long sleeves and pants...at minimum. Whatever you do, do not touch your face, especially your eyes, nose, and mouth. You do not want to get this stuff in you, it hurts. Trust me.

If you have questions, contact the manufacturer for cleaning.

Good luck and a thank you for the very interesting topic.

davisautodetail
03-28-2013, 08:40 AM
Thanks all, we'll see if the guy calls me back, I know he had called around a bit. I told him the truth that I had never had to get it out, but felt like we could do a pretty good job with extraction and ozone, but definitely have to clean the whole of the inside. The nice thing about the ozone machine is it will get into the vents and those areas you can't reach.

I'll report back if I do get the job!