PDA

View Full Version : The detailing crimes you've committed!!!

Pages : [1] 2

AntC
03-27-2013, 12:28 PM
I was thinking back to a time before I knew of AutoGeek and learned of the correct way to wash a vehicle, alot of the stuff I used to do I look at now and just shake my head.
I know Im not the only one so I figured I'd post some of the stuff just for a laugh !

1) I used to wash my car with dawn All the time cause it was cheap and had good suds
2) I used to go to the drive through all the time, and let them dry it with old terry cloth towels
3) Used to use one bucket (for the car and tires) and at the end of washing I would just throw the rest of the soapy water onto the car before I rinsed. (I really felt stupid about that one lol)

I know Im not the only guilty one here, what have you done in the past? Feed back please

runrun411
03-27-2013, 12:45 PM
What about when you:

1) wash and used circular motion.
2) wash using Mr. Bubble.
3) use cannon bath towels to dry (I think everyone did this) thinking you're using a soft towel.
4) some people actually used pledge to make their paint shine. (not me)
5) pay some 10 year old kid to wash and wax (mind you he use an old dirty rag to wash)

BudsJLM
03-27-2013, 12:46 PM
1 dawn
2 attacking a car with a rotary, yellow foam pad and turtle wax
3 dumping the bucket back on the car,
4 Low quality Microfibers, marring everywhere!

And i'm sure there is pleanty more just can't think of them off the top of my head

SlowWRX
03-27-2013, 01:05 PM
The Absorber
Driving around the block to blow out seams then dry afterwards
Cheap terry bonnet on a cheap orbital to remove wax
those 99cent car dog bone sponges you get at any store

Dr_Pain
03-27-2013, 01:08 PM
1) Cheap orbital and OTC products, LOL!! That was me thinking I was a high end guy!.... when I was 10 y.o :buffing:
2) Only true mistake since being grown enough to own a car was supporting the local school fund raiser car wash. (only one time):nomore:

Meticulous-Detail
03-27-2013, 01:38 PM
I was thinking back to a time before I knew of AutoGeek and learned of the correct way to wash a vehicle, alot of the stuff I used to do I look at now and just shake my head.
I know Im not the only one so I figured I'd post some of the stuff just for a laugh !

1) I used to wash my car with dawn All the time cause it was cheap and had good suds
2) I used to go to the drive through all the time, and let them dry it with old terry cloth towels
3) Used to use one bucket (for the car and tires) and at the end of washing I would just throw the rest of the soapy water onto the car before I rinsed. (I really felt stupid about that one lol)

I know Im not the only guilty one here, what have you done in the past? Feed back please

I thought I was the only one who did #3 and my Dad taught me that.....lol

RedXray
03-27-2013, 02:52 PM
I figured I'd post some of the stuff just for a laugh !
I would just throw the rest of the soapy water onto the car before I rinsed.

What about when you:

1) wash and used circular motion.

3 dumping the bucket back on the car,

I thought I was the only one who did #3

Kind of like this lol :D

Oh Hai GMFS Carwash Friends - YouTube

david79z28
03-27-2013, 06:33 PM
All of the above plus, I used to use way to much wax.

My vehicles would look white when the wax dried....

Mazda.Mark
03-27-2013, 06:52 PM
Dumping the water for sure.

Coating the dash with armour all.

Using same sponge for paint and wheels.

t5er
03-27-2013, 07:23 PM
Is it a crime to make some 28 year old single stage black paint look great using an entire bottle of Megs #7 then photographing at dusk for a "for sale" ad? Thing sold in a week for way above market value.

I get the spirit of the thread though. I'd definitely say...
Dawn
Same Chamois for 8 years!
Same wash mitt for 5 years, did wheels and paint with the same
Using a 1 gallon bucket!

TH3M B0N3Z
03-27-2013, 07:31 PM
I used to use...

1. One bucket (always washed tires and wheels last, though)
2. Bath towels to dry
3. Dampen a microfiber and wipe my car clean after it got dusty (ouch!)
4. Wax in the sun
5. Armor All interior wipes (faded my circular air vents when I had the Mazda3)

I think that's it. I cringe when I think back to the time when I did these things, lol.

TH3M B0N3Z
03-27-2013, 07:34 PM
The Absorber
Driving around the block to blow out seams then dry afterwards
Cheap terry bonnet on a cheap orbital to remove wax

With my Scion tC, even when I'm done drying the car, then blow dry with a leaf blower and dry up the rest of the water, I still have to take it for a quick spin and dry more water, lol. But the wheels actually get a little dirty from the surface rust that accumulates on the rotors, so I'll clean the wheels again.

Bates Detailing
03-27-2013, 07:45 PM
Kind of like this lol :D

Oh Hai GMFS Carwash Friends - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0vXBUyR-OA)

That's gotta be the oddest detailing video Ive seen yet - logging off now :bolt:

Pureshine
03-28-2013, 01:07 AM
Taking my wife's car through the auto car wash lol.

dipolley
03-28-2013, 01:27 AM
Wow, this could be a long list.

- My worst sin was not knowing about clay.
- Using dawn all ways (The 6 ounce bottle in my kit is 2 years old and only 1/4 of it is gone. It has its uses, just not every wash.
- Single-bucket wash
- Bath towels to clean
- Old cotton t-shirts to wipe off wax
- Never using detail spray
- Power washing engines on full stream
- Using a sponge to wash the car

There are too many to list.