PDA

View Full Version : Rupes 15mm or 21mm

Joelotto
03-27-2013, 10:16 AM
I'm looking at getting a Rupes polisher. I'm not sure if I should go with the 15mm or 21mm. Let's say both have 5" bp what would you go with. Feed back please To me it looks like most are going with the rupes 21mm with a 5"BP.......let me know what your opinions are. Right now I'm the average DD detailer but looking to make this a full time business. Thanks for any and all feedback. :work:

KenR
03-27-2013, 10:21 AM
Bought the 15mm recently. I am just an enthusiast and only work on family cars so I felt that this model would get the job done just fine. Hoping the weather improves enough here on Long Island so that I can put the machine to good use.

Setec Astronomy
03-27-2013, 10:24 AM
Bought the 15mm recently. I am just an enthusiast and only work on family cars so I felt that this model would get the job done just fine. Hoping the weather improves enough here on Long Island so that I can put the machine to good use.

You haven't tried it out on your washing machine??

JSou
03-27-2013, 10:38 AM
Check zmcgovern's thread. There are topics about this everyday.

For me, 21 hands down and you could fit on the 5" BP. Search Kevin Brown.

KenR
03-27-2013, 10:39 AM
You haven't tried it out on your washing machine??

Funny you should ask. We got a new washer and dryer in January and I put a scratch into the top of the washer. Wife wants me to buff it out.:buffing:

RaskyR1
03-27-2013, 10:44 AM
I'm looking at getting a Rupes polisher. I'm not sure if I should go with the 15mm or 21mm. Let's say both have 5" bp what would you go with. Feed back please To me it looks like most are going with the rupes 21mm with a 5"BP.......let me know what your opinions are. Right now I'm the average DD detailer but looking to make this a full time business. Thanks for any and all feedback. :work:

I say get the 21 if you can only afford one machine. IMO the 21 with a 6" pad vs. the 15 with a 5" pad is night and day in terms of correction and speed. To be honest I haven't really even needed to use my 15. Last weekend I did actually bust it out on the car below as 5" pads were better suited for the lower parts of this car. For the most part I have been using the 21 on every car I do. You'll still need something with 3-4" pads regardless of what tool you choose so the 21 just makes the most sense based on my and many others experience.

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i288/Raskyr1/A505E37A-B7FF-4DC3-946A-723180BF3694-1704-0000028BE23FC76E.jpg

Setec Astronomy
03-27-2013, 10:55 AM
Boy that low-rise lift looks handy! Of course in my garage that SUV would be pressed into the ceiling, or at least the light fixture.

Bunky
03-27-2013, 10:57 AM
Boy that low-rise lift looks handy!

They would be on my dream list but from prices some are less than $2000.

RaskyR1
03-27-2013, 10:59 AM
$1600, with 1 or 2 year payment plans available. I went with one year at only $144 a month. ;)

Setec Astronomy
03-27-2013, 11:04 AM
$1600, with 1 or 2 year payment plans available. I went with one year at only $144 a month. ;)

It's gotta be fantastic for detailing those lower panels, not to mention tire rotations and brakes. I know the tire place I go to which is kind of a dedicated tire place (not brakes shocks suspension etc) uses a couple of them for tire work.

RaskyR1
03-27-2013, 11:12 AM
It's gotta be fantastic for detailing those lower panels, not to mention tire rotations and brakes. I know the tire place I go to which is kind of a dedicated tire place (not brakes shocks suspension etc) uses a couple of them for tire work.

Definitely. You're not straining your back or knees and having full balance and control produces better and more consistent polishing. I definitely put in my time laying on the ground polishing panels and finally had enough! If you work in a fixed location this will be one of the best investment you could ever make! Wheels are removed with ease, which is a big thing for me as I Opti-Coat a lot of wheels now. It's also made doing my own mechanical a lot easier too. I used it to put in an upper control arm, lower ball joint, outer tie rod ends, both CV joints, wheel bearing, and a steering rack, all on my winter beater last month. Saved over $1000 in parts and labor. :D

Anyway, let get this thread back on track! ;)

zmcgovern45
03-27-2013, 11:52 AM
First things first... that lift is awesome...

Now onto the question - I recently posted this same question and was met with a bunch of opinions both for the 15mm and 21mm machines. I personally own a ton of 5.5" pads, so I did not want to buy something that did not allow me to use what I already had. I was originally dead set on the 15mm machine as I tend to work on sporty coupes to sedans, rarely an SUV or truck - so I thought the 21 was not necessary.

At the last minute, after an overwhelming majority opinion to get the 21 + 5" BP, I decided to not get the 15 and instead go with the 21. This decision was based on the fact that I did not want to limit myself to only using 5.5" pads in the future. The option to jump up to 6.5" pads seems like a great reason to invest in the LHR21 vs. the LHR15.

I have used my Rupes on 1 vehicle so far using my 5.5" pads (CLICK HERE (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/show-n-shine/62232-new-daily-driver-restoration-paint-correction-22ple-application.html) for thread) and I liked the machine. I will warn you though, as Roshan (ihaveacamaro) already posted in his thread - this machine is not a miracle machine that will simply cure all defects in 1 pass, as much of the hype surrounding these new machines can lead some people to believe. Do not get me wrong - it was great, no denying that, but it still takes time. Slow arm movement and proper technique are key. The reduced amount of pressure required and minimal machine vibration was a nice advantage, as I found myself less fatigued after an 11 hour job.

I found that it did indeed take less time and effort to correct even some pretty serious defects. The 50/50 shot below shows the original condition of my fiance's new DD compared to what the LHR21 did with an orange pad and FG400 in just 4 passes (2 horizontal and 2 vertical) with light to moderate pressure and slow arm speed. Now I obviously have not used the LHR15 for comparison, so I do not know what the difference may be in terms of time saved - I would assume it is not drastic.
https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/526943_230693963735397_1949128897_n.jpg

I will be using it this weekend on an Acura TSX and will be sure to post the results in the Show N' Shine section once completed.

Overall, I think the general consensus has been that you will be satisfied with either machine, as they are both outstanding... but if you can splurge for the 21 + 5" BP, why not go for it?

Hope I helped in some way!
-Zach