PDA

View Full Version : Waxed the wife's car, now to clean my applicator?

Pages : [1] 2

nissenc1337
03-27-2013, 08:47 AM
So, I typically wash/detail a vehicle then throw all used items in the wash, add some DP microfiber detergent, and let it eat.

However, I'm not sure this did the trick with the applicator pad I used to apply wax.

What's the protocol for cleaning these to remove any wax?

vegas911gts
03-27-2013, 09:04 AM
You can use cg pad cleaner in hot water. squeeze out whatever is left and rinse. If there's still wax in there, repeat the process.

But I buy cheap applicators in bulk and just toss them away. Some waxes I have can be applied by hand too.

nissenc1337
03-27-2013, 09:17 AM
I was applying it by hand. Mothers supplies an applicator with their Syn wax paste. So there is a cleaner I need to be using. I wonder if a dishwasher would do the trick?

Dimetera413
03-27-2013, 09:22 AM
I would just keep soaking and rinsing until all the wax is visibly gone. Use hot hot hot water. Also if you take your fingers and squeeze the pad and your fingers feel slick or greasy after, keep washing. I usually let mine sit in a bucket of hot water and CG Microfiber detergent over night and then wash in my machine on the hottest water setting there is. It usually does the trick.

GS2011
03-27-2013, 09:37 AM
I use Dawn and hot water in the kitchen sink. As previously said, just clean and rinse until all traces of wax are gone.

nissenc1337
03-27-2013, 10:20 AM
All good info! Thanks guys.

vegas911gts
03-27-2013, 10:31 AM
I was applying it by hand. Mothers supplies an applicator with their Syn wax paste. So there is a cleaner I need to be using. I wonder if a dishwasher would do the trick?

When I say hand I mean with your fingers and palm. Not with an applicator. I have only tried this method out recently and it works well with certain types of waxes. If the wax is extremely soft and oily it is better to apply it with your hand. If it is hard then use an applicator.

mackey
03-27-2013, 10:39 AM
you can order a 12pk of foam applicators for $2-3 shipped on ebay if you dont mind the wait.

that alone keeps me from the hassle of cleaning applicators

yakky
03-27-2013, 11:12 AM
Dawn Power Dissolver (not the same stuff as dishwashing soap) works great on stubborn waxes and sealants. Its about $3 from Wal-Mart. It's also great on stubborn pots and pans!

builthatch
03-27-2013, 11:18 AM
I use Dawn and hot water in the kitchen sink. As previously said, just clean and rinse until all traces of wax are gone.

i use this to clean all of my pads. if it's something really grimy i let it soak in water and Powerclean.

AntC
03-27-2013, 11:52 AM
i tend to use Black fire pad cleaner, as soon as Im done

BLACKFIRE Advanced Pad Cleaner, foam pad cleaner, buffing pad cleaner (http://www.autogeek.net/blackfire-advanced-pad-cleaner.html)

then throw the applicators and microfibers in the wash on gentle with Dawn

swanicyouth
03-27-2013, 12:39 PM
The only way I know of to return your applicator (or pad) to new with some LSPs is:

1. Get it as clean as possible by conventional methods

2.. Mix a small amount of mineral spirits / IPA : 50/50 ("mixture").

3. Squeeze /agitate the pad in the mixture several times (wear gloves)

4. Let soak in mixture for several hours

5. Squeeze / agitate in mixture again.

6. Rinse well.

This is the only way I have found to get every molecule of every LSP out of every pad / applicator. You can save the mixture and use it many times. You only need enough to cover the pad.

I was amazed to do this procedure to some LSP pads I thought were "clean" ( cleaned before I started using this process) and see how wax and polymers goo came out of them.

I've used dish washing liquid bit it doesn't work well. It leaves much LSP product (wax / polymers) in the pad and never rinses 100% out.

Of course your other 2 alternatives are to throw them out or use dirty pads over and over.

builthatch
03-27-2013, 01:44 PM
I've used dish washing liquid bit it doesn't work well. It leaves much LSP product (wax / polymers) in the pad and never rinses 100% out.

i guess it depends on what you use. i only use "LSP" pads for Opti-Seal or Opti-Coat/Lens/Glass...and all of that stuff comes out of pads with the greatest of ease using Dawn concentrate and warm water.

spiralout462
03-27-2013, 02:03 PM
I soak mine in oderless Mineral Spirits for a few hours then soak and wash them in pad cleaner or the like. They look brand new after that!

Sfoster
03-28-2013, 04:38 PM
Who makes the best foam wax applicators and where can I purchase them??

Sent from my DROID X2 using AG Online