PDA

View Full Version : I need some advice on preparing my car for Opti-coat 2.0

buffguy
03-26-2013, 05:36 PM
The car is free from swirls and scratch and doesn't need a polish. I currently have men powerlock sealant on the car. I also clayed the car about 1 month ago before applying the powerlock. What is the best way to get the car surgically clean before apply opti-coat? I prefer to do this manually and not have to use the DA. What should I do to fully strip the sealant off? Thanks in advance.

ihaveacamaro
03-26-2013, 05:44 PM
Use a DA. I know you don't want to, but trust me swanicyouth has done a bunch of tests and some of the sealants are VERY hard to take off. Just finish polish with optimum hyper polish on a white or gray pad with a DA and then wipedown with water and then apply the opticoat. Easier to do it right, one time :)

tuscarora dave
03-26-2013, 05:55 PM
Use a DA. I know you don't want to, but trust me swanicyouth has done a bunch of tests and some of the sealants are VERY hard to take off. Just finish polish with optimum hyper polish on a white or gray pad with a DA and then wipedown with water and then apply the opticoat. Easier to do it right, one time :)

:iagree:

buffguy
03-27-2013, 02:46 PM

I don't have optimum hyper polish, can I use m205 or PO85RD instead? When you say gray pad, do you mean the black flat LC pad? Black Lake Country 5 1/2 Inch Flat Foam Pad (http://www.autogeek.net/beveled-black.html)

Also, can I just use APC or Klean strip prep all to strip the sealant off instead of using the DA?

zmcgovern45
03-27-2013, 02:55 PM
Yes - you can any polish. I would personally use PO85RD on a black pad, however I have very soft paint so you may want to use M205? Only you can decide for yourself. But I agree with everyone else - the best way is to polish the entire car with a DA.

Recent tests have shown that APC will not completely strip some sealants - I believe Power Lock was the test subject and it still beaded after being washed with straight APC.

You need to polish the car to be safe. Then IPA wipedown (or similar).

Rsurfer
03-27-2013, 03:41 PM
Also, can I just use APC or Klean strip prep all to strip the sealant off instead of using the DA?Prep All should remove Power Lock. I use Prep All to remove polishing oils before OC.

buffguy
03-27-2013, 04:49 PM
Yes - you can any polish. I would personally use PO85RD on a black pad, however I have very soft paint so you may want to use M205? Only you can decide for yourself. But I agree with everyone else - the best way is to polish the entire car with a DA.

Recent tests have shown that APC will not completely strip some sealants - I believe Power Lock was the test subject and it still beaded after being washed with straight APC.

You need to polish the car to be safe. Then IPA wipedown (or similar).

Thanks for the info, how many passes with the DA should I go over it with and do I need to apply any pressure?

zmcgovern45
03-27-2013, 10:17 PM
Thanks for the info, how many passes with the DA should I go over it with and do I need to apply any pressure?

That is something you will need to determine on your own. You will need to apply light to moderate pressure so that the polish as actually doing some work in cleaning the surface. I would say do 3-4 passes to be safe. Followed by IPA wipedown. Then test several spots with water to make sure that the paint does not bead up. Then you will know that the sealant is removed and you are ready to apply opti-coat. If you use PO85RD, I would wash the car again, at least a rinseless wash, to be sure the polish is totally removed - that stuff can be difficult to totally wipe off and you can only see it in certain lighting.

primo spaghetti
03-28-2013, 05:34 AM
I don't have optimum hyper polish, can I use m205 or PO85RD instead? When you say gray pad, do you mean the black flat LC pad? Black Lake Country 5 1/2 Inch Flat Foam Pad (http://www.autogeek.net/beveled-black.html)

Also, can I just use APC or Klean strip prep all to strip the sealant off instead of using the DA?

if you dont use an optimum polish, you will need to ensure you remove all polishing oils left behind, so Eraser or IPA are required.

do yourself a favour and get the OPT finish. it is a good polish, and only requires a wipedown with water or ONR to remove the oils to be OC ready.