PDA

View Full Version : Paint correction prices

Pages : [1] 2

Ryansdetailing
03-25-2013, 07:50 PM
I am currently working on a chrysler 300 in my shop. The lady came in and bought a set of $2000.00 wheels and i explained to her how she was going to have these nice wheels on a black, metallic swirled out mess that has only seen tunnel washes. With that being said..i currently charge 45.00 and hour for a multi step paint correction and key scratch repair..her bill is going to be about $900.00 (20 hours) for some reason i feel like im charging to much..should i feel this way? Help me out! What do you charge per hour?

VP Mark
03-25-2013, 08:43 PM
Does not sound unreasonable. As long as you are in tune with your local market, you are comfortable charging that much, and the client is comfortable paying that much, I don't see any issue.

817detailer
03-25-2013, 08:58 PM
A local guy in area (he does some nice cars, ferrari, lambos, etc.) Charges $75 per hour for what he calls "full paint correction and reconditioning"

Took this from his discription:
"Typically a 14-20 hour process. This includes a multi step, Machine Polishing Process, removing all oxidation, haze, swirls and blemishes in the paint finish. Literally the paint will be better then new when completed. Recommended if you must have the absolutely pinnacle of detailing and your vehicle’s finish in showroom condition."

Did you tell the lady upfront that you charged $45/hr? and also did you tell her it could and probably would take two days to complete.?

I hope you gave a fair estimate or a ballpark range. Hate to see her show up expecting a $300 bill. My biggest fear is that she refuses to pay. I would stick to your price (it seems fair in my opinion). Be nice if you could show her some before and after pics (especially of the swirls). Most people dont understand swirls and the regimen it takes to get them out.

Hope this helps, keep us updated. :buffing:

rmagnus
03-25-2013, 09:31 PM
I am currently working on a chrysler 300 in my shop. The lady came in and bought a set of $2000.00 wheels and i explained to her how she was going to have these nice wheels on a black, metallic swirled out mess that has only seen tunnel washes. With that being said..i currently charge 45.00 and hour for a multi step paint correction and key scratch repair..her bill is going to be about $900.00 (20 hours) for some reason i feel like im charging to much..should i feel this way? Help me out! What do you charge per hour?

Did you give her a written estimate in addition to the hourly rate? $45 an hour is not unreasonable for correcton work. You may find it doesn't take 20 hours so the bill may come out less.

Cosmin
03-25-2013, 11:47 PM
when comes to paint correction i have 2 options:
- estimate the time after i seen the vehicle and quote it like that ,
- standard price for 1 step or 2 step , multiple steps , with description of the improvement so the client knows what he pay for.

by having a fast working time i can finish a 1 step polish in 3-5 hours, and a 2 step polish in 5-8 hours, around 45-65$ per hour.

Andr3wilson
03-26-2013, 12:04 AM
I charge $65-70 an hour flat for everything. May sound a lot but a lot of detailers could charge more, especially if the work is good.

Charging hirer prices also has the added benefit of weeding out the cheap low ballers. Typically all your calls are serious clients who put their money where their mouth is!

swanicyouth
03-26-2013, 12:24 AM
It's all about what the person knows and is expecting to pay. Unless she knows better, she may think removing swirls entails just spraying some liquid on the paint. Yes, some people are the ignorant.

Kevin Cullen
03-30-2013, 10:03 PM
Don't think you are out of line with your pricing at all. As the others have said it may take you less time than quoted and you could pass the savings on to her. This could net you great feed back and referrals. Win win for all.

Pinpoint_Precision
03-30-2013, 11:33 PM
Very reasonable. I know a lot body shops that charge by each panel, that's correct about $100 dollars and still looks like crap. I don't like to name them but there are lot out here in Florida.

CM8 6MT
03-31-2013, 12:07 AM
I charge $65-70 an hour flat for everything. May sound a lot but a lot of detailers could charge more, especially if the work is good.

Charging hirer prices also has the added benefit of weeding out the cheap low ballers. Typically all your calls are serious clients who put their money where their mouth is!

Whats your price range of a full correction? Im talking compound, polish & top with one of your top of the line LSP's (and you have a library of them).

Pureshine
03-31-2013, 12:14 AM
If you can get $900 for paint correction do it.

Bates Detailing
03-31-2013, 12:23 AM
Amazing how much people say they charge! Maybe because Im in TN and the cost of living is much lower - but a paint correction for us is half of what most on here say they charge. We made $290 cash tonight for an in and out detail that took about 18 man hours..... with that said, we are legit and ALOT of that goes to daily business bills. WITH THAT SAID, Myself and Tyson are VERY happy with what we made..... not getting the prices?!?!!?

Detailing by M
04-01-2013, 12:57 PM
If you think your charging to much then maybe you are. I think about this all the time but you need to also think about the "hidden cost" of doing business. Customers are paying for more then "just the work" done to their cars. Overhead is something customers don't think about.
If you are feeling guilty then give the customer a discount and tell them you over quoted.
Or not, it's really up to your feelings and reputation. Plus it's nice to be nice.

rustytruck
04-01-2013, 07:54 PM
Amazing how much people say they charge! Maybe because Im in TN and the cost of living is much lower - but a paint correction for us is half of what most on here say they charge. We made $290 cash tonight for an in and out detail that took about 18 man hours..... with that said, we are legit and ALOT of that goes to daily business bills. WITH THAT SAID, Myself and Tyson are VERY happy with what we made..... not getting the prices?!?!!?

I agree with B&B. I can make someones car look mint if I spent the time on it. I always hear about these 20 hr details and I charged x amount of dollars. I have never run in to anyone who wanted me to camp out in their driveway for 3 days and then pay me $1500 for the work.

I know that keeping a car mint is harder than getting it that way. Can my customers maintain a show car finish? Absolutely not. I'm not going to waste thier money or my time giving them one. If the customer wants a $900 show car finish go ahead and give it to them. I just hope they wanted one.

Pureshine
04-01-2013, 08:02 PM
I agree with B&B. I can make someones car look mint if I spent the time on it. I always hear about these 20 hr details and I charged x amount of dollars. I have never run in to anyone who wanted me to camp out in their driveway for 3 days and then pay me $1500 for the work.

I know that keeping a car mint is harder than getting it that way. Can my customers maintain a show car finish? Absolutely not. I'm not going to waste thier money or my time giving them one. If the customer wants a $900 show car finish go ahead and give it to them. I just hope they wanted one.

That's why I'm not mobile cause most of my paint correction does take me 2-3 days to complete. Yes most of my customers who want paint correction do want the best possible finish. Now saying that I would not recommend a daily driver Honda civic to get that kind of paint correction. If they insist on me doing it I will.